MLB 2008

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's hollowed ground, to this baseball fan. The new stadium will just be a new stadium....

Don't you mean "hallowed" ground? Or were you referring to the new stadium? ;)

Ha! I am just a lousee speeler. In fact, when I typed "hollowed ground", it looked wrong(and I may not know the correct way to spell a word, but I do know when it's wrong) so, I put hollowed ground in a google search, and there where sites called hollowed ground....so I must have been right!!! :blush:

With last night's loss, the Rangers are guaranteed yet another below-.500 season.

On the plus side, it's been a long time since they were even this close to .500.

On the realistic side, Tampa Bay is going to the playoffs and the Rangers aren't. That's like watching a child prodigy graduate high school at the age of 11, while you've been a career senior for over 30 years. :bad:

Hey now! ... :beee:

See Diamondbacks (entered MLB with Rays), and Marlins.

No offense intended, it was more of a smackdown on my beloved Rangers than anything else. If the Rays win this year, you can add them to the list of teams younger than the Rangers who've won the World Series. Hell, at this point, if the Rays win ANY game in the post-season, you can add them to the list of teams younger than the Rangers who've WON a playoff game!

Seriously now, I really like the Rangers. If they could get a couple of stud starters, some long relief, some middle relief, a lights-out closer and sprinkle a lefty or two the mix, they might be dangerous.

Not to mention clutch-hitting, decent defense, ....... you know, the stuff the Rangers generally trade away so they can acquire either a "power-hitting" outfielder or a washed-up pitching "veteran"..... :w

Edited by Big Al

Have The Rangers ever made it to the playoffs ?

3 times in '99, '98 & '96 each time losing in the first round to the eventual champion Yankees.

Their moment of glory was winning game 1 in '96 vs. the Yanks 6-2. It was a close series as game 2 went 12 innings. Game 3 took a 2 run on-the-road 9th for the Yanks to win. In the clinching game 4 the Yanks came back from a 4 run deficit.

3 times in '99, '98 & '96 each time losing in the first round to the eventual champion Yankees.

Their moment of glory was winning game 1 in '96 vs. the Yanks 6-2. It was a close series as game 2 went 12 innings. Game 3 took a 2 run on-the-road 9th for the Yanks to win. In the clinching game 4 the Yanks came back from a 4 run deficit.

In 1999 the Yankees swept the Rangers in 3 games and allowed 1 run for the series!

In 1999 the Yankees swept the Rangers in 3 games and allowed 1 run for the series!

Thanks for the reminder...... <_<:P

In the Locker room Beckett was shouting ..."First Team to Eleven"......

?????

Me too. Is that a Spinal Tap reference?

I think it means 3 + 4 + 4 wins to win the World Series (once the playoffs actually start that is).

Yes, thats it .......he kept saying in the post game interviews "first team to eleven" (wins) and the championship is ours !!

See that is a better saying than the one we were raised on as Red Sox fans ...."Wait till next year .........

This is Our Year !!!!!!!!!

To do that, Beckett better pitch a helluva lot better than he did in Monday's game when they could have clinched.

One potential advantage over 2005 is that Tito can set up the rotation better than he did the last time we tried to defend a title. But we've got to get healthy, fast. The offense has really settled into a funk without Lowell and Drew, and I wonder what Lowell will do when he does play again, and no one knows when Drew's back will lock up again.

This is Our Year !!!!!!!!!

To do that, Beckett better pitch a helluva lot better than he did in Monday's game when they could have clinched.

One potential advantage over 2005 is that Tito can set up the rotation better than he did the last time we tried to defend a title. But we've got to get healthy, fast. The offense has really settled into a funk without Lowell and Drew, and I wonder what Lowell will do when he does play again, and no one knows when Drew's back will lock up again.

Yea, but you gotta love Beckett when it comes to playoff time . If he pitches any way close to what he did in the playoffs last year we will have a huge shot at getting back to the Series.

Remember in 05 Clement started game 1 !!!!!!!!!!!

This Yankee fan is rooting hard for the Rays. Anyone know if and when Carl Crawford is coming back? Carlos Pena et al have really picked it up in his absence but it would be really nice to see CC back in the lineup because he is their best all around player IMO.

WOW, remember back when the yankee fans had a team to root for ?....now who has the curse? :blink:

This Yankee fan is rooting hard for the Rays. Anyone know if and when Carl Crawford is coming back? Carlos Pena et al have really picked it up in his absence but it would be really nice to see CC back in the lineup because he is their best all around player IMO.

Doubt we'll see him again this year. At the time of the surgery they were saying at best he'd be able to come back as a pinch runner in the playoffs. No way he gets his swing back in time now, I don't think. Not after hand surgery.

My question is, why didn't they bring this Fernando Perez guy up sooner -- like, as soon as Crawford went down. And, they coulda used this kid to put a little more pressure on Upton when he was lollygagging in August.

WOW, remember back when the yankee fans had a team to root for ?....now who has the curse? :blink:

Hey, even when we were riding high, a lean year or two (or three or more) would always appear. As for a curse, I'll leave that for Cub fans, it's been 100 years since their last WS triumph, correct? Furthermore, I'll take a year off after 13 straight seasons of playoffs with a chance to win it all every time. But living here in south Florida with frequent opportunities to watch the Rays and being an American League fan, has me rooting for them this year. That and the fact that their roster salaries amount in total to what A-Rod makes, makes them all the more appealing.