MLB 2008

I hope the Cubs clinch this weekend, not because I like them but because they're coming to play the Mets next week and, with that bullpen, we need all the help we can get. Omar should be fired for the bullpen he put together. At the end of the year, just clean it out and start from scratch. Whatever you get can't be any worse then the pile of shit you have already :angry:

Yeah, I don't understand the talk of still not getting a K-Rod or Brian Fuentes, after seeing how very important a true closer is. New park, new stadium, no money??? Give me a break. Not complainin' if you guys don't, mind you! ^_^

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

anyone gonna give it up for TB winning the division??

They haven't yet. They will, but they only clinched a spot in the playoffs.

Anyone else hoping that if Boston wins today, then if Baltimore comes through, we could see the final out at Yankee Stadium coincide with the final out of their season as post-season competitors?

I couldn't think of a better way to see the old building out. :g

anyone gonna give it up for TB winning the division??

They haven't yet. They will, but they only clinched a spot in the playoffs.

Anyone else hoping that if Boston wins today, then if Baltimore comes through, we could see the final out at Yankee Stadium coincide with the final out of their season as post-season competitors?

I couldn't think of a better way to see the old building out. :g

I'm with you there. ... and yeah, Rays in the postseason, who'd-u-thunk? Despite the fact that they've shown they can handle the big dogs, I have no feeling one way or the other how they might perform with the heat turned up in the playoffs. They could just as easily run the table as tank right out of the gate. But with Maddon at the wheel, the optimism is pretty high.

Slam-dunk manager of the year, yes?

Anyways, they sure have been a fun team to watch all season. Will that same aggressiveness serve them well in the postseason? That's a big question. And you have to have some real concerns about their young starting pitching as well -- Kazmir in particular has just really struggled all season with his focus, and seems to have gotten worse rather than corrected things as the season's gone along. Still can't get out of the fifth inning -- and that's a GOOD outing for him now. And Garza can be easily rattled at times, too. But they're young, basically, like most of the rest of the team, so you just don't know. As far as Percival goes, I can barely watch the guy "close" anymore. That is one area they are going to have to address in the off-season. And one area where, even if everything else falls into place, they could get bitten in the ass in the playoffs.

The ride continues for now ... :excited:

congrats to the Rays, ...and the CUBS!!

Tribe back to .500 for first time in a very long time (22-22 on May 18). With 4 left against BOS and 3 against CWS (after today's finale against roid rage Sheffield and DET), unlikely they will finish there. ...But at least Cliff Lee and Scott Lewis go twice more.

NYY home opener next year may feature Cliff Lee v. CC Sabathia, though I think CC stays in the NL.

Oh, and I want to be on the record saying the Devil Rays will finish 3rd this year!!!

I'm going to stand by that gutsy choice! ^_^

Congrats Paps! Now, get some fans in those seats, will ya??? Going to see some games????

Oh, I see searching for this post, that It Should be You predicted they would get in the playoffs via the wildcard, so pretty good to be that close to the truth!

Oh, and I want to be on the record saying the Devil Rays will finish 3rd this year!!!

I'm going to stand by that gutsy choice! ^_^

Congrats Paps! Now, get some fans in those seats, will ya??? Going to see some games????

Oh, I see searching for this post, that It Should be You predicted they would get in the playoffs via the wildcard, so pretty good to be that close to the truth!

I was trying to decode the playoff schedule at CBSportsline last night. ALDS A and ALDS B ... not sure which is which, and have to see where the Rays finish first (did I say finish first? ... heh heh). I'll do my darndest to get to at least one game.

I remember reading your third-place prediction at the start of the year and thinking you were being optimistic, which you were, actually. It Should Be You should be commended, and all future wagering funds should be sent to him. ... :excited:

Last hit in Yankee Stadium (by either team) was by Jason Giambi. Last homer by Jose Molina.

Last out a grounder hit by Brian Roberts to first fielded by defensive sub Cody Ransom.

Pettitte gets the W. Rivera on the mound for final inning in a nonsave appearance.

File 'em away in your "trivia(l)" mind. :rsmile:

on rare occasions, tv lives up to its promise and delivers sensitive and rivetting coverage of historic events.

espn's moving coverage of the closing of yankee stadium is a wonderful example of all the best that this medium can offer.

never mind that the most magnificent baseball cathedral is being trashed to make way for an even more exclusive and smaller playpen with many more luxury suites and boxes which few members of the public will ever be able to afford, access or enjoy.

at least they gave the old lady a great public funeral before trashing her 80+ years of tradition(auctioning off her bowels), and the general public in the name of almighty corporate greed.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

I'm pissed that they're tearing down a great and still beautiful stadium and field to make more money. But the Yankees do know how to put on a show. Even players from visiting teams say that that the Yankees Old Timers games are the best.

Interesting article in The Times today - Babe Ruth's daughter lives in New Hampshire and is a Red Sox fan. She also lives in Arizona in the winter and rooted for the Diamondbacks in the 2001 series. The curse of the Bambino's daughter?

I'm pissed that they're tearing down a great and still beautiful stadium and field to make more money. But the Yankees do know how to put on a show. Even players from visiting teams say that that the Yankees Old Timers games are the best.

Interesting article in The Times today - Babe Ruth's daughter lives in New Hampshire and is a Red Sox fan. She also lives in Arizona in the winter and rooted for the Diamondbacks in the 2001 series. The curse of the Bambino's daughter?

Maybe she still harbors a grudge against the Yanks for when they unloaded her father on the hapless Boston Braves at the tail end of his career. :rolleyes:

Edited by MartyJazz

With last night's loss, the Rangers are guaranteed yet another below-.500 season.

On the plus side, it's been a long time since they were even this close to .500.

On the realistic side, Tampa Bay is going to the playoffs and the Rangers aren't. That's like watching a child prodigy graduate high school at the age of 11, while you've been a career senior for over 30 years. :bad:

With last night's loss, the Rangers are guaranteed yet another below-.500 season.

On the plus side, it's been a long time since they were even this close to .500.

On the realistic side, Tampa Bay is going to the playoffs and the Rangers aren't. That's like watching a child prodigy graduate high school at the age of 11, while you've been a career senior for over 30 years. :bad:

Hey now! ... :beee:

See Diamondbacks (entered MLB with Rays), and Marlins.

We gave you Josh Hamilton, for cryin' out loud. You're on your own after that. ... :cool:

:blush:

Seriously now, I really like the Rangers. If they could get a couple of stud starters, some long relief, some middle relief, a lights-out closer and sprinkle a lefty or two the mix, they might be dangerous.