MLB 2008

Yeah well I'll just point out that they very nearly should have lost three of four to the Jays this weekend. We were fortunate that Lady Luck smiled on us so soon after giving us the finger.

And the reason that there is no precedent is that you never know how a team responds to a managerial change and that any change is likely to take longer than 12 games to become apparent. Now if the Mets collapse and the Brewers back into the playoffs, they were geniuses for canning the manager?

My guess is that win or lose, it will be another 100 years before any team does what the Brewers did, because its just plain nuts, regardless of the outcome.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I question the decision(s) to have the Astros play the Cubs when their city and families were under danger from Ike. If that's the Astros' ownership, harsh.

What was far more insane was the Astros' owner insisting that they could get a game or two in before Ike swept through. Truly delusional. He finally agreed to neutral territory, but by this time, all the truly neutral locations were taken and they ended up in Milwaukee, which is essentially Wrigley Field North. Players' families were able to take the trip north though (unusual) so that may have helped a bit.

At the same time, if they simply cancelled the three games, then the Astros would forfeit any chance of getting to the playoffs, and that would not have been fair either. As it is, if it will make a difference, the Cubs will have to go down to Houston at the tail end of the season to play one more.

I question the decision(s) to have the Astros play the Cubs when their city and families were under danger from Ike. If that's the Astros' ownership, harsh.

"Danger from Ike"? They played Sunday night and Monday afternoon. They were under more danger from the remnants of Ike where they played in Milwaukee than were their families or the city of Houston. :rolleyes:

How in motherfucking hell can we make Andy Fucking Sonnanstine look like Cy Fucking Young?

If they don't figure out how to hit that pathetic bum, they'll never get past the Rays when it counts.

Objection! In fact, even in a short series, they'd only see him twice. He may look like Cy Young in the regular season, but I'll lay odds he's going to look like Matt Young in the playoffs. I remain unconcerned. Neither am I concerned over Anaheim; a completely different team against the Sox in the playoffs.

Objection! In fact, even in a short series, they'd only see him twice.

Do you mean, even in a long series? Sonnanstine wouldn't throw twice in a short series.

Fact is, the Rays are a completely unknown quantity in the playoffs. They may clutch up. They may win the whole banana. They've shown they can play lights-out for long stretches, and they can go into the tank for 7 straight games. They can go -- what was it, 2-for-20 something over two games in Boston with runners in scoring position? -- and still have enough pitching and defense to win. It's a complete crap shoot with them in the mix, IMHO. They may just be idiots enough to think they can do it! :excited:

(I count 6 cliches total. Not too bad.)

Objection! In fact, even in a short series, they'd only see him twice.

Do you mean, even in a long series? Sonnanstine wouldn't throw twice in a short series.

Fact is, the Rays are a completely unknown quantity in the playoffs. They may clutch up. They may win the whole banana. They've shown they can play lights-out for long stretches, and they can go into the tank for 7 straight games. They can go -- what was it, 2-for-20 something over two games in Boston with runners in scoring position? -- and still have enough pitching and defense to win. It's a complete crap shoot with them in the mix, IMHO. They may just be idiots enough to think they can do it! :excited:

(I count 6 cliches total. Not too bad.)

I meant in a short series. You're correct, he would NOT likely be faced twice in a short series, but in a best case scenario for the Rays, he'd make 2 starts. Three wins are required. You're correct about it being a crap shoot -- they're a near complete unknown. However, over a lifetime of watching this game, I'm pretty confident in my team's ability and experience against an unknown (i.e. -- totally inexperienced) team. Hinske is a big X-factor, but I still like the Sox chances and standing. I'm not ready to leap off the Tobin and/or virtually shout racial criticisms at Daisuke because he loses a game. There's a lot of baseball to play, and NOTHING is settled, yet. All things being equal, I'm very pleased with the Sox chances. That's all I'm saying.

Great. Back to piece-of-shit Wakefield. If they are back two games with ten to play, and having lost the season series, that means you have to outplay the Rays by three games the rest of the way. I predict that in two hours it will be time to hope that the Rays finish off the Twins for us this weekend and then its time to start resting people and figuring out how in the hell we're going to beat the Angels when they'll never have to have Lackey pitch at Fenway.

Edit to add

And once again they're making a piece of pathetic shit like Garza into Cy Fucking Young.

Edited by Dan Gould

then its time to start resting people and figuring out how in the hell we're going to beat the Angels when they'll never have to have Lackey pitch at Fenway.

While lifetime he has sucked bigtime at Fenway, the last time he pitched there on July 29 he went the distance with a 2 hit/2 run victory. So maybe that's not exactly a key to victory after all.

Man you Sox fans, you kill me!!! :excited: Matt Garza, a shitty pitcher??? I have heard more than once his stuff compared to Smoltz. 11-9 3.66 ERA for the year, still 24. I'll take that shit any day....

I hadn't heard the Smoltz comparison, but I was kinda thinking along the same lines ... not really a "shitty" pitcher. He was going on three days rest tonight though, and was struggling with control just a little. But this Rays staff overall is still pretty young, still learning how to pitch, really. Garza in particular can get a little jumpy sometimes. And we saw Kazmir implode in Game 1 against the Sox, yet he has been dominant in the past -- (at least I think I remember that).

But then again, I think I know where Dan's coming from. The Red Sox offense just seems hot and cold lately. But Ortiz!!!!!!! His second home run tonight was an absolute moon shot. :excited: It's literally still up there ... in one of those catwalks.

Edited by papsrus

Man you Sox fans, you kill me!!! :excited: Matt Garza, a shitty pitcher??? I have heard more than once his stuff compared to Smoltz. 11-9 3.66 ERA for the year, still 24. I'll take that shit any day....

Not sure anybody called him a shitty pitcher -- if they did, I missed it. But he certainly was not made to look like "Cy Fucking Young." Not getting pulled without getting out of the fifth.

This is shaping up to be 2005 all over again. Grossly underachieving team, Wild Card entry into the playoffs (lucky to get it) and bounced in the first round. Count on it.

Grossly underachieving? Youk is having a career year; Pedroia is being mentioned as an MVP candidate; a rookie SS, injured 3B, insane LF mailing it in to force a trade, aging super-hero catcher with a prescription for Kryptonite. Honestly, Dan, you're quite delusional. How about just giving the Rays credit for having a helluva team and playing really well. Sox have had issues and injuries that would have destroyed most teams. Underachieving... gimme a break.

What do individual accomplishments have to do with team under-achievement? Here's how I define under-achievement:

A run differential of 158, which dwarfs every other team in the league, a whopping 75% higher than the next closest team, and what do they have to show for it? A wild card berth, which considering their pathetic road record plus their performance against the two teams ahead of them adds up to a virtually nonexistent chance at the World Series.