MLB 2008

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone else question the decision to let Zambrano go for the no-hitter, in light of it being his first start in 12 days, being diagnosed with rotator cuff tendinitis, and having several poor starts before then when he said he just had a "dear arm"?

It seems clear to me that if Beckett had done that in his return from his "elbow inflammation", Francona would have taken the long view and taken him out at whatever his pitch limit was.

I for one was more nervous about him getting hurt on a maximum effort pitch than about the no-hitter itself. And I'm just glad that he didn't get hurt and completed it.

Anyone else question the decision to let Zambrano go for the no-hitter, in light of it being his first start in 12 days, being diagnosed with rotator cuff tendinitis, and having several poor starts before then when he said he just had a "dear arm"?

It seems clear to me that if Beckett had done that in his return from his "elbow inflammation", Francona would have taken the long view and taken him out at whatever his pitch limit was.

I for one was more nervous about him getting hurt on a maximum effort pitch than about the no-hitter itself. And I'm just glad that he didn't get hurt and completed it.

I was shocked to hear he of all people pitched a no hitter, but wasn't it 110 pitches???? I am sure that was above the pitch count, but that is just cruel to take someone out when they clearly have their best stuff of the year....and I imagine he might have broken bones by hitting walls if he had been taken out after the 6th or 7th....

Can you say total panic?

Brewers fire manager Ned Yost :crazy:

With 12 games to go, tied for the Wild Card lead? In the vague hope that this will somehow trigger different results then they've been getting? Like someone on ESPN said, there's no precedent for a move like this, but heaven help the next manager whose team is collapsing, should this actually result in them making the playoffs. Then all bets will be off and other teams will try such an insane ploy.

And a nice start to the big series at the Trop. 11-1 through three and a half, with one home run after another flying out (5 altogether, 4 off of Kazmir). Of course, Dice is at 60 pitches through three innings, so ... we'll probably see Timlin in this one and then all bets are off.

Rays are getting a shit-kicking tonight. ... But, Sox can win 2-of-3 and the Rays are still in first by percentage points. Not much solace there though.

Well I like Beckett going tomorrow, he's looked very good since his return and should have no pitch count restrictions. And the Rays are sending Garza (I think) on short rest on Wednesday against Wake. Wake has usually been great in domes, it would be nice if he throws like he did against Toronto in the rain.

Can you say total panic?

With 12 games to go, tied for the Wild Card lead? In the vague hope that this will somehow trigger different results then they've been getting? Like someone on ESPN said, there's no precedent for a move like this, but heaven help the next manager whose team is collapsing, should this actually result in them making the playoffs. Then all bets will be off and other teams will try such an insane ploy.

I think part of it is a result of the Mets collapse last year and how much better they've played since firing Willie Randolph. Milwaukee has a great deal of talent this year, some of which they won't have next year. I agree it's unheard of but I think it's the right thing to do in this case. Don't know the extent of it or how true it is, but word is Yost was panicking (Tony Gwynn for one has passed on info from his son who is on the roster.)

Another strong outing for Tribe rookie Scott Lewis. After 8 shutout innings against Baltimore in his debut last week, 6 shutout innings against the Twins tonight (3H, 5K 2BB). And Kelly Shoppach has emerged as the best player in the Coco Crisp/Andy Marte trade (.272 ave, 21 HR).

...now back to games that matter

Can you say total panic?

I think part of it is a result of the Mets collapse last year and how much better they've played since firing Willie Randolph. Milwaukee has a great deal of talent this year, some of which they won't have next year. I agree it's unheard of but I think it's the right thing to do in this case. Don't know the extent of it or how true it is, but word is Yost was panicking (Tony Gwynn for one has passed on info from his son who is on the roster.)

I can understand why the Brewers fired him. They have lost 11 of 14 including a 4 game sweep by the Phils that dropped into a tie for WC lead. Don't agree w/ the firing but as a Philly sports fan I can understand that sense of desperation. I think Brewers management are probably thinking that they took a big gamble on trading for C.C. and that they have to - at the very least - make the playoffs to justify what is probably going to be a half season rental. They also don't want another collapse like last season. Remember how far out in front of the Cubs they were?? People tend to forget about it because it was overshadowed by the Mets epic choke. But I digress... :D

I understand the firing, though I disagree with it. I find the ESPN comments about precedent rather annoying. It's that parochial attitude that you can't do something that hasn't been done by John McGraw that hurts baseball. Brewers could wind up looking like geniuses. It's pretty well documented that Yost is an intense guy who can pass his tension on to players without intending to, so maybe a more relaxed person at the helm will help. I don't know if Sveum is that guy, but I know he's a helluva lot better choice than Ted Simmons (who should be a perennial contender for the Grady "Gump" Little award).

Meanwhile, a virtual tie for first place and a pretty healthy handle on the wildcard. Live is good for those of us who didn't nose-dive off the bandwagon.