Stan Getz help needed....

tonym

Hi all.

This may be common knowledge but I haven't found anything on the web yet.

I wanted to know what, if anything, Getz changed, when his sound went from that dark one heard during his 'West Coast sessions' period to the 'edgier' one heard later (for example, with Gary Burton)?

I heard somewhere he started to use harder reeds. Were there other changes?

I'll leave the ball in the experts' court.

Thanks, tonym.

Wow. That's some heavy stuff!

Does the person who submitted all this info about the various embochures speak with authority or is it just hearsay and speculation?

No matter, I've never seen anything like that before. It's fascinating, and I'm going to spend some time reading over it again. Thanks for the link!

Well actually, not as heavy as this....

http://saxontheweb.myforums.net/viewtopic....light=stan+getz

the poster danny_tb seems to be au fait with hte mechanics.

Having said that, the thing you said to me Jim a few months back when i was querying players set up, something along the lines of "Stan Getz will sound like himself with any piece or reed..." is echoed frequently here.

This is a good board to get lots of diverse, divided opinion.

cheers, tonym.

Interesting links.

If the first one Getz mouthpiece is accurate, then my preferred mouthpiece would be the Rubber Berg Larsen.

Getz was really 'The Sound' at that time, when he had that great quintet with Bob Brookmeyer and John Williams. He never sounded better to my ears. Loved the Getz sound on 'Flamingo' from the 'Getz at the Shrine' album. And those 'West Coast' sessions.

• 5 years later...

Were all (or most) of the white tenor saxophone mouthpieces that you see in old photos made by Brilhart? I always thought "Buescher," but maybe that's a saxophone make, and not a mouthpiece.

I played a metal Brilhart once (for alto), and it was a strident little thing. Similar to a Dukoff, actually.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't remember Stan's sound changing. One of the things about him was that when the surrounding musicians changed, he was still Stan Getz.

Far and away the best tenor mouthpiece is the gold metal Otto Link. That's the stuff babee! Players as diverse as Bean and Trane used it, and I love mine. I have one for alto too, even though I don't currently have an alto. Strangely, I couldn't get one for my soprano, but the metal Selmer mouthpieces are great - that's what Trane had too.

Hi all.

This may be common knowledge but I haven't found anything on the web yet.

I wanted to know what, if anything, Getz changed, when his sound went from that dark one heard during his 'West Coast sessions' period to the 'edgier' one heard later (for example, with Gary Burton)?

I heard somewhere he started to use harder reeds. Were there other changes?

I'll leave the ball in the experts' court.

Thanks, tonym.

I'm not a tenor player (guitar player)and can't tell you about reeds. There's an interview with Stan on Mel Martin's website. Stan does talk about reeds and his embouchure, etc. Too tired for links. Google it.

I think his sound changed for sure in the earliest 70s. If you know the record with Eddy Louiss (Dynasty?) he's already much harder. By the 80s he wqas screaming, just about. A more 'musclular' sound---but still very soft at the core. I don't think he ever got over Pres----but he went through changes in his

life. Like any great artist (by definition honest in musical expression and communication thereof) it 'came out in the wash.

So there you have the opinion---and only the opinion a professional player and big Getz fan----but go to Martin and hear it from the man himself.