What radio are you listening to right now?

BillF

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Earlier, caught a bit of Jazz Record Requests. Something Scottish and unjazzy, some solo Davey Graham (spelling?), some MJQ and Horace doing "Song For My Father".

Yes, I was less impressed by the selection this week. Liked the announcement that Jazz Library will be on Louis Bellson on March 21st. Yesterday's on Krupa was great. I'm considering buying Krupa Plays Gerry Mulligan Arrangements from 1958, which includes Phil Woods. Anyone know that one and can recommend it?

Jazz Record Requests From BBC Radio 3

Now playing: Ellington, "Ad Lib on Nippon"

Listening to this myself...a favourite Ellington piece, especially the clarinet!

Did you notice, Bev, that JRR is getting the "treatment" again next week? Postponed till 9pm! :rmad: I suspect the New York Met! I think it's the radio equivalent of what went on in French art galleries in the late 19th century, when the work of Manet, etc was "skied", i.e. hung so high that no one could see it, while now-long-forgotten academicians occupied the eye-level space.

Listening to this myself...a favourite Ellington piece, especially the clarinet!

Did you notice, Bev, that JRR is getting the "treatment" again next week? Postponed till 9pm! :rmad: I suspect the New York Met! I think it's the radio equivalent of what went on in French art galleries in the late 19th century, when the work of Manet, etc was "skied", i.e. hung so high that no one could see it, while now-long-forgotten academicians occupied the eye-level space.

The contempt of the Oxbridge BBC-ites for anything that is not classical knows no limits, Bill. Until they set aside a channel for non-classical non-pop music I'm afraid this will continue.

The contempt of the Oxbridge BBC-ites for anything that is not classical knows no limits, Bill. Until they set aside a channel for non-classical non-pop music I'm afraid this will continue.

Just found out that they've lopped 15 mins off it as well! But at least your can hear a repeat of an excellent Jazz Library programme on Peter Ind at 4 on the same day. In my student days in Leeds in the 60s, Peter was involved in the pioneering jazz course at Leeds College of Music and induced his mentor, Lennie Tristano, to make a rare trip to the UK to appear at the Harrogate Arts Festival. Peter took a group of us along to hear Lennie and got us into a radio interview in which Lennie sent up the very square BBC interviewer something dreadful!

• 2 weeks later...

Listening online to last Saturday's Jazz Record Requests From BBC Radio3.

Now playing: "Take the A Train" from Ellington's 70th Birthday Concert, recorded in November 1969 in Manchester.

I was there! As Pee Wee Marquette said, "That's my hands you can hear clapping on the record!"