What radio are you listening to right now?

BillF

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Such an interesting guy!

Indeed! Though not exactly modest!

I really like his more recent big band recordings - some beautifully sonorous brass writing in almost eleagic settings.

That 'Celebration Jig' that was played is a wonderfully agile, life-enhancing piece off a great record.

You missed a great Stan Sulzmann track.

Made me think that it's Joe Henderson he reminds me of most (though I was listening to Stan ten or more years before I heard Joe!). Henderson seemed to have a big influence on the tenor players at the turn of the 60s/70s. I can hear him in Ronnie Scott too.

I remember Ronnie on Desert Island Discs many, many years ago praising to the skies a newcomer called Joe Henderson. This was before he started making "Mr Piano" jokes when announcing Henderson tunes. :lol:

Yeah - I've been in the audience a few times when he came out with that Joe 'Piano' Henderson joke - one of his 'set' gags. If I remember correctly he sometimes followed it up with 'Miles will be in the Club next week' [gasps and awe from punters..] followed by the immortal 'Sir Bernard Miles' :lol:

Edited by sidewinder

I remember Ronnie on Desert Island Discs many, many years ago praising to the skies a newcomer called Joe Henderson. This was before he started making "Mr Piano" jokes when announcing Henderson tunes. :lol:

Yeah - I've been in the audience a few times when he came out with that Joe 'Piano' Henderson joke - one of his 'set' gags. If I remember correctly he sometimes followed it up with 'Miles will be in the Club next week' [gasps and awe from punters..] followed by the immortal 'Sir Bernard Miles' :lol:

Not to mention the promise of an all-star American group featuring Stan Getz and Stuff Smith: "We call it the Getz-Stuff quintet." :lol:

• 2 weeks later...