I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

funny-pictures-cat-ponders-buddhas-teachings.jpg

This is a terrific commentary on the ridiculousness of worshipping these stupid statues. There is a scripture that goes something like this: "Eyes they have, but cannot see. Ears they have but cannot hear. Mouths they have but cannot speak." Yet millions bow before things like this and the pink elephant in India.

This is a terrific commentary on the ridiculousness of worshipping these stupid statues. There is a scripture that goes something like this: "Eyes they have, but cannot see. Ears they have but cannot hear. Mouths they have but cannot speak." Yet millions bow before things like this and the pink elephant in India.

this statement strikes me as rather odd coming from a guy who used to preach to us about the antichrist, the return of the beast, and whatnot. i guess what looks ridiculous or stupid to one person might make perfect sense to another.

Bowing before something like a person, tree, statue, etc., is not one and the same as "worship". The Buddha, for instance, represents one's own innate capacity for enlightment; therefore, you are bowing to your own highest aspirations and/or Self. It's also an act of humility - something I'd say you're lacking here.

"A man who bows down to nothing can never bear the burden of himself." - Dostoyevsky

funny-pictures-cat-ponders-buddhas-teachings.jpg

Nah.... I think it's just a funny picture. Buzzkill. :)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Article on the subject, from Salon...

I can has cheezburger ... and pathos?

from the end of the article (on page 2)...

Just as the dogs in the New Yorker cartoons don't represent actual dogs, these cats don't represent cats at all, but people. By using cats, icanhascheezburger can access themes more tragic and poignant than it could using people. You wouldn't enjoy a comic of an actual person fingering a blade and contemplating suicide -- but when it's a cat, you can accept it. You can even laugh.

And that's the real answer to the puzzle. We've gone from cats as cats, to cats as scheming rascals, to cats as human beings. The sad lolcats represent people. We have seen the lolcats, and they are us.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• 1 month later...