Stan Kenton in the 1940s/50s on CD

Kyo

I've become interested in some of Stan Kenton's music (I'm currently reading

Ted Gioia's West Coast Jazz) and I wonder how this music has been released on

CD - I know there were at least two Mosaic sets and a bunch of Capitol compilations

of various sorts (City of Glass, The Innovations Orchestra...), but I guess there

must be some overlap there. So which discs / sets should I be looking at?

One thing to keep in mind: I don't mind difficult music as long as it's rewarding,

so I'm not really looking for an "easy introduction" greatest hits package - in

fact the one CD of Bob Graettinger tunes sounds very interesting to me...

"City of Glass" (the Graettinger album) is a must. Also, "Easy Go," a compilation of early '50s sides, has some wonderful Art Pepper and Conte Candoli playing on great Gene Roland and Bill Russo charts.

As for the '40s stuff, I'd say the Classics CDs are the way to go, with IMO better sound than the Mosaic. I wouldn't worry about missing out on the alternates - they don't add much to the picture.

Edited by Dave Fish

My favorite Kenton stuff involves either Pete Rugulo or Johnny Richards as arranger.

"Cuban Fire" from 1956 is a terrific album.

Slightly after your time frame, but both very worthwhile, are "West Side Story" and "Adventures in Time." (both very early 1960s).

All of these were written and/or arranged by Johnny Richards.

The Rugolo era is more 1940s and predates the LP era, AFAIK. That stuff you'd have to find on compilations.

I particularly like the Kenton Orchestras of 1954-55 with arrangements by Bill Holman and star-studded personnel including Sam Noto, Stu Williamson, Buddy Childers, Frank Rosolino, Carl Fontana, Lennie Niehaus, Charlie Mariano, Davey Schildkraut, Bill Perkins, Mel Lewis and Stan Levey. There's a lot of this material on two Contemporary albums: Kenton Showcase and Contemporary Concepts. If you already like Art Pepper, a good way into Kenton is via Those Kenton Days (Definitive).

Edited by BillF

Another specialty that warrants exploring are the live recordings from Stan Kenton's European tour of 1953.

Decent fidelity, great band with an enormous punch that even today gets the impression pretty well across that it left on European audiences back then. And as the Kenton band toured EXTENSIVELY all across Germany during that tour in August/September 1953 this is even part of our very own history of jazz, Kyo. ;)

They used to be out on LP on Duke, First Heard and Artistry (and possibly others) and I hope they have been reissued on CD as well.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Thanks everyone! Those are some very helpful suggestions.

I just ordered the album of Graettinger pieces, it just sounded

too tempting (the amazon samples convinced me to go ahead).

As for the others, I'm trying to find an affordable copy of the

Innovations Orchestra two-fer and will probably grab some of

the other CDs mentioned soon. But before I do that I need to know:

Is the Kenton Holman/Russo Mosaic still worth tracking down or can

those tracks be found on individual releases? I haven't managed to

find a tracklisting for the Mosaic set to confirm that myself.

Edited by Kyo

The Innovations stuff is also on the 1950 and 1951 Classics, I think (I have the Capitol 2CD set, but I remember seing the Classics in a sale a few years ago and I checked them just to be safe - should be almost identical - not sure Abeille still has their sale going on, and not sure these are still in print, but it may be a cheaper way - don't ask me about sound issues, though...)

Cool, thanks!

I'll try to find that Capitol Innovations Orchestra set, I prefer their liner notes to the Classics releases I have so

far. Not quite sure which way to go with the 40s stuff. The Classics discs aren't as cheap or as easily available

as I'd like them to be and while Definitive Records has put most of the Mosaic set out (as a 4 disc "master takes"

and a 2 disc "transcriptions" set) in comprehensive form, I remember the few Definitive releases that I got

early on having really lousy annotation (if any at all). And with as much music as this, I'd rather have

something good to read about it while listening for the first few times.

The two "Concepts" CDs mentioned earlier, Kenton Showcase and Easy Go will probably follow soon.

Dave Schildkraut was part of the Kenton band for the European tour in Aug./Sept. 1953 (he must have joined the band for the tour at the last minute to replace Don Carone as his name is not in the official program distributed at the German concerts).

No trace of Bird (not for the other 1953 live recordings I m aware of, and definitelynot for the European tour), but he was a guest soloist at a concert in Portland, Oregon, on 28 Feb. 1954.

Bird was on tour with the Kenton band from January 28, 1954, until February 28th. I was fortunate enough to see them on February 9th in Worcester, MA. The concert also featured Dizzy Gillespie, June Christy, Lee Konitz, the Erroll Garner Trio, and Candido.

Apparently they couldn't get any big names to come along.