Digression thread: Coherence is overrated

I backhanded a wasp off my desk today. I didn't hit it all that hard, but the force of my blow knocked it to the ground and apparently killed him. Still, I didn't want to take a chance that it might come to and get its revenge. So I stomped it into oblivion. This was the highlight of my day.

articles about Thomas Glover (?) from Ebony (1960) and Jet (1963)... most surprising part is that Freddie Webster reading the bible was the start of it...

The Jazz Musician who became a monk

A monk returns to life

Interesting that Glover's time at Gethsemane Abby coincide with the years that Thomas Merton was there. I wonder if there is a reference to Glover in Merton's journals...

When I go to the grocery store I usually notice how lame the muzak is, yet when I'm in the car I often catch myself humming some lame pop tune I heard in the store.

I guess if there's some secret government subliminal suggestion brainwashing plot in action I'm being quite a cooperative test subject.

Now if you'll excuse me I must go cluck like a chicken while jumping up and down on one foot. :)

Why spelling doesn't matter:

The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the fsrit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can still raed it wouthit a porbelm. This is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?

• 2 weeks later...

Among the things i won't miss when i'll be dead will be when i take out the clothes out of the washing machine and realize there was a Kleenex stranded in one of my pockets and you can guess the rest...

pffft. That's nothing. Idiot me put a pillow with a small tear in it in the washing machine once. Then, despite little bits left behind in the washer, put it in the dryer. ... With other stuff. That's when the real fun began.

Among the things i won't miss when i'll be dead will be when i take out the clothes out of the washing machine and realize there was a Kleenex stranded in one of my pockets and you can guess the rest...

pffft. That's nothing. Idiot me put a pillow with a small tear in it in the washing machine once. Then, despite little bits left behind in the washer, put it in the dryer. ... With other stuff. That's when the real fun began.

Well, my Great Moment In Laundry was when a tube of lip balm made it to the dryer and then opened up, ruining about six pairs of pants.

Well, my Great Moment In Laundry was when a tube of lip balm made it to the dryer and then opened up, ruining about six pairs of pants.

My wife managed BOTH the other day! Not lip balm, but a piece of chewing gum wrapped in tissue. Oh BLEEDIN' 'ELL!!!!!! Fortunately, only one pair of her knickers was affected by the gum, though everything in the dark wash had bits of tissue on them. It took her several days, but eventually managed to get the gum off with white spirit.

MG

One of the challenges faced by artificial heart investigators was developing an energy system suitable for implantation. The Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) jointly funded research work experimenting with nuclear power systems. During the late 1960s and early 1970s, a nuclear power system, using plutonium-238, appeared to be the most promising means of developing a totally implantable unit. Superior to the alternative battery source, the nuclear-powered heart provided a longer-term, more reliable source of energy, was self-functioning, and did not need recharging......

...the advisory group explored the societal implications of a clinically accepted nuclear-powered artificial heart. They pointed out the ‘hidden dangers’ of the plutonium heart specifically and of the artificial heart research program generally. Wasn’t the nuclear-powered heart a health hazard to the recipient, to his friends and family, and to the public generally because of its emission of radiation? What if a less-than-perfect device extended life with decreased (even questionable) quality – would such a device be denied patients? It will be argued that the continued support for development of an artificial heart, albeit redirected, reflected American values and attitudes regarding the utilization of machines and devices to fight disease, endorsing the technological imperative of twentieth century medicine.

Edited by Serioza