Carla Marciano

JSngry

:g

Seriously, I like her spirit & apparent sincerity, not so crazy about her tone & articulation & maybe compulsive retro-ness (even if it's only retro to say, Trane '64, that's still way retro, and some people who were born then are grandparents now, and she herself isn't mast mid-30s at most...), but mostly it's spirit/sincerity vs tone/articulation.

Any thoughts?

Which album(s) of hers do you have? I don't have any, but from checking the extensive sound clips on her website, I'd have to say, of the three CDs represented, I like the tone/articulation best on the "A Strange Day". Her sound seems a little more open, less "held back" and more similar to what I hear on the live video clip of the tune "Dance of Mind". I'd say that clip ( here ) is my favorite of the lot.

As for the sopranino, she sold me a lot more than I would have guessed. The idea of hearing lots of Trane-isms on sopranino didn't seem like a good one, but she pulled it off. I'd like to hear her on soprano.

Which album(s) of hers do you have?

I've heard all (?) three on Black Saint ("on loan from a friend"), liked them all well enough to remember the name, just not enough to "commit" yet. Maybe someday, if she continues to grow, or maybe not, if she doesn't.

But for those looking for somebody "to follow" as they go/grow, she's a good candiate, I think.