NCAA Hoops 2007-2008

Had to start this thread to say that Texas A&M and Baylor are currently in their FIFTH overtime tonight! :blink:

edit - Baylor won, 116-110. A&M's third straight Big 12 loss, and first at home. They sure aren't looking as good as they did last year. Though they don't have a stud like Acie Law to pull out these kinda games at the end anymore, either.

Edited by Aggie87

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A&M beat their rival Texas tonight, 80-63. Was a fun game for me to watch! A&M still doesn't do that well on the road, but they're a pretty good home team. Hopefully they'll improve over the rest of the conference schedule.

And Kansas State upset #2 Kansas tonight too! It was K State's first win against Kansas at home in 24 years I think they said.

So they're down to one undefeated team left standing, the Memphis Tigers.

Gotta start watching Duke, they're undefeated. N.Carolina has lost once. The Duke/Carolina games are a must see, even for me/the marginally interested.

Duke is playing some good ball right now, but they have one loss on their record - a 65-64 overtime loss to Pittsburgh, back in December.

Gotta start watching Duke, they're undefeated. N.Carolina has lost once. The Duke/Carolina games are a must see, even for me/the marginally interested.

Duke is playing some good ball right now, but they have one loss on their record - a 65-64 overtime loss to Pittsburgh, back in December.

Huh, I didn't know. I think what I saw was probably ACC play.

A&M beat their rival Texas tonight, 80-63. Was a fun game for me to watch! A&M still doesn't do that well on the road, but they're a pretty good home team. Hopefully they'll improve over the rest of the conference schedule.

And Kansas State upset #2 Kansas tonight too! It was K State's first win against Kansas at home in 24 years I think they said.

So they're down to one undefeated team left standing, the Memphis Tigers.

I am a KU alum and K-State took it to us. Beasley and Walker are men among boys. These guys will be very dangerous in the NCAAs.

PS - You are correct - we had not lost in Manhhatan since I was a junior at KU - and I am now 46!

Edited by Eric

I didn't see this coming:

Knight resigns from Texas Tech

School confirms departure; son Pat takes over team

LUBBOCK, Texas (AP) -- Bob Knight, known as much for his fiery temper as his basketball brilliance, resigned Monday at Texas Tech, handing the team over to his son.

It was a stunning midseason move by the winningest men's coach in major college basketball, who gave no hint a change was coming. Pat Knight, a Red Raiders assistant, was appointed his father's successor in 2005.

"There's a transition that's going to take place here from me to Pat and I've dwelt on this all year long ... how it would be best for him and for the team and for what we can do in the long run to make this the best thing for Texas Tech," Knight told the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal, which first reported the resignation.

The 67-year-old Knight informed Texas Tech athletic director Gerald Myers of his decision in a meeting around noon Monday, Texas Tech chancellor Kent Hance told The Associated Press. Knight then called Hance and told him.

"He's ready," Pat Knight said during his weekly radio show. "He's tired."

Hance said: "I think Bob is through with coaching. I think he got to the point where it wasn't fun for him.

"He thought about it Sunday all day and talked to his wife and decided 'This is something I want to do."'

The Red Raiders beat Oklahoma State 67-60 on Saturday, giving Knight his 902nd victory. He won national titles at Indiana in 1976, '81 and '87.

"I guess you can never be surprised at some of the things Bob does," former UCLA coach John Wooden told the AP. "I don't think there's ever been a better teacher of the game of basketball than Bob. I don't always approve of his methods, but his players for the most part are very loyal to him. I would say that no player that ever played for him would not say he did not come out a stronger person."

In September, Knight signed a three-year contract extension that runs through the 2011-12 season.

"I didn't know, I've never really known when I was going to step down from this job. As I thought about it, my first thought was at the end of this season," Knight told the Lubbock paper. "My thinking was .. the best thing for the long run for this team would be for Pat and his staff to coach these remaining 10 games."

Knight arrived at Texas Tech in March 2001, six months after being fired by Indiana for what school officials there called a "pattern of unacceptable behavior."

In his first six years at Tech, he led the Red Raiders to five 20-win seasons, a first at the school. They are 12-8 this season, including Knight's 900th victory last month against Texas A&M.

Texas Tech's next game is Wednesday night at Baylor.

Knight passed former North Carolina coach Dean Smith as the winningest Division I coach Jan. 1, 2007, getting career win No. 880. To celebrate the milestone Knight chose "My Way" by Frank Sinatra, a mantra for how he navigated his personal and professional worlds.

"Bob is kind of a funny guy. He always loved that song `My Way,' and this is another example," Hance said.

Back then, Knight explained why "My Way" was so fitting.

"I've simply tried to do what I think is best," Knight said. "Regrets? Sure. Just like the song. I have regrets. I wish I could have done things better at times. I wish I would have had a better answer, a better way, at times. But just like he said, I did it my way and when I look back on it, I don't think my way was all that bad."

Knight has been a college coach for 42 years. He broke in at Army in 1965, but made his mark in 29 years at Indiana.

He's a complex package, someone who can hit a policeman, throw a chair across the court or be accused of wrapping his hands around a player's neck, yet has never been in trouble for breaking NCAA rules, always has a high graduation rate and gave his salary back a few years ago because he didn't think he'd earned it.

"I am very fortunate and blessed to have played for him. He made me a better man and for that I am grateful," former Indiana star and current New Mexico coach Steve Alford said.

Knight got his 100th victory at Army, then moved to Indiana, where his Hoosiers went 662-239 from 1971-2000.

His first NCAA title came in 1976 when Indiana went undefeated, a feat no team has accomplished since. In 1984, he coached the U.S. Olympic team to a gold medal in Los Angeles.

When he began his coaching career at Army, he was 24, the youngest-ever Division I coach. Knight won 20 or more games in 29 seasons.

"Today was the most relaxed and relieved I've seen him in a long time," Pat Knight said during his show. "He thought about doing it a year ago but he didn't want people to think he was just staying for the record. So he kind of pushed himself to go one more year."

• 4 weeks later...

It's halftime of the A&M/Oklahoma game, and the Aggies have scored 10 points. 10 points! This was a team that was ranked in the top 10 earlier this season. Frustrating to be a fan of this team.

When Billy Gillispie bolted for Kentucky, and they brought Mark Turgeon in as coach from Wichita State, it looked like they weren't going to lose a step. Not so.

This team has a bunch of quality big men (DeAndre Jordan, Joseph Jones, and Bryan Davis), and yet they never pound it inside. That should be their offense until someone can shut it down. Instead they spend their time shooting 15-20 ft jumpers constantly, so they don't get fouled, and if they're not shooting well, it's game over.

They were a lock for the NCAA tourney earlier on, now I think they're gonna end up in the NIT.

Aarrrgh.

UNC-Duke this evening! Doesn't get any better than this! I'm a UNC fan- saw them play Gonzaga in the Dean Dome and play Rutgers in December.

These next 3 weekends are my favorite in sports- Conference championships, Selection Sunday, NCAA DI 1st and 2nd rounds......Go VCU Rams!! The CAA Tournament is this weekend in Richmond.

I also run a pool for friends on CBS Sportsline- a lot better than getting the USA Today and handing out sheets- then grading them!

Edited by vajerzy

UCLA is a force this year.....

no, they are good team that for some reason the rules of the game don't apply to. I know you need to let the teams play but the plays that were allowed against Stanford and Cal were bs. Even in football you can't tackle guys like that, those would be would be 15 yard pass interference penalties but UCLA gets away with it.

and the rule book says you can't toss the ball over the backboard. I guess the networks want UCLA to have a # one seed. Must be nice to have the rules of the game changed depending on the school you play for.

Edited by WorldB3

While I'll agree UCLA has gotten some pretty lucky calls/non-calls to help them win a few games, the Pac 10 officiating has been universally poor. In both the Stanford and the Cal game there were numerous bad calls which went against the Bruins early on before bad calls went in their favor late.

The Bruins' long lapses on offense will likely result in an early exit from the tournament.

the Pac 10 officiating has been universally poor.

The Bruins' long lapses on offense will likely result in an early exit from the tournament.

agree. we shall see about the later. I was surprised at how Standford was able to shut them down for such a long stretch.

Cal beat Washington tonight so we get to see them play UCLA again.

As for last weekend's games in Pauley and the Pac-10 Tournament:

1) Pac-10 officiating has been horrible for as long as I can remember.

2) It is funny that the Cardinal's go ahead basket in regulation came when Hill ploughed over a set Kevin Love several feet from the basket. If the refs don't swallow their whistles, UCLA very well could have won the game in regulation.

3) On the next possession, Hill initiated bodily contact with Collison and then hit Collison's other arm before blocking the shot. The fact that the block may have been clean does not negate the other (previous) two fouls. Hill did not complain about the call.

4) As for the Cal game, why is one of the worst ex-coaches of the Pac-10 broadcasting the game?! Lavin was a lousy coach (although a very good recruiter) who hung around far too long as head coach for the Bruins. The fact that he is a commentator for Pac-10 games says much for his talent for self-promotion.

5) Has anyone actually seen footage showing that the Cal player was fouled in that play just before the end of the game? The footage I saw revealed nothing, and so the referee, rightly, called nothing. I cannot imagine that any of us want to see fouls being called on the basis of what "must" have happened.

6) Having said that, I do think that Shipp's shot went over the backboard and should have been disallowed. That's the rule, although I think it is a stupid one - it would be a ridiculously hard shot for a player to add to his arsenal. It is my understanding that the rule was instituted out of fear of Wilt Chamberlin, who played for Kansas oh so many years ago.

7) Brooks Lopez will be a lottery pick when he comes out of Stanford.

8) The Pac-10 Tournament is brutal (3 or 4 games over consecutive days), and far too close to the big dance. The threat of injury is too high for most teams to risk going all out unless the team is on the bubble.

Edited by Edward

A&M held off BYU last night, so they're advancing to play #1 UCLA tomorrow night. Nice for UCLA to have basically a home game there in Anaheim! Not like they need it, but still - I wish my team had the home court advantage for this game!

IMO, A&M has the talent to compete with UCLA, if they put it together and play a good game (and hit their outside shots). The Aggies played a good game against the Bruins last year, losing 65-62 at UCLA. Though Aaron Afflalo and Acie Law are both obviously gone now.

I wonder if Billy Gillispie was mad when his Kentucky team lost yesterday on the same court, while the team he abandoned won...

The Aggs will be a real test for the Bruins, who have walked a tightrope during their current winning streak. I fear they may have a letdown after facing such an inferior opponent last night and now facing a much more formidable Texas A&M team. The Bruins have been subject to lulls in their offensive production which causes them to fall behind, and they've had to come back in the second half to win games--in several games merely a few friendly calls and lucky shots from losing.