(New York vs New England) VS (Old York vs Old England)

JSngry

What is interesting is that this is New York vs Boston in a major sporting event, but its Boston that looks like the big bad Yankees and the Giants that have to overcome the odds to somehow pull out a win.

I find it annoying that so many people are finding New England sports fans to be so obnoxious and entitled. I really wish it were possible to kick people off the bandwagon. Pink Hats at Fenway, people who think that the Sox and Patriots should always win, who've never felt the pain that is supposed to come from following these teams - its all very annoying. In fact, I decided to exchange a t-shirt that a friend sent for Christmas. It said "don't you wish you were a part of Red Sox Nation?" and I had to tell him how I wish there were fewer people, not encouraging more to join, or be obnoxious because I am and you aren't. So I had him order a replacement that shows an apple core with an NY insignia and it says "How 'Bout Them Apples?" I figured it was a good way to rib a Yankee fan since we finally took the Division crown and a second World Championship in this Millenium. But at the same time, it leaves that Yankee fan to say "26" or whatever, so its good. Not some obnoxious, don't you wish you were a Sox fan message.

What is interesting is that this is New York vs Boston in a major sporting event, but its Boston that looks like the big bad Yankees and the Giants that have to overcome the odds to somehow pull out a win.

I find it annoying that so many people are finding New England sports fans to be so obnoxious and entitled. I really wish it were possible to kick people off the bandwagon. Pink Hats at Fenway, people who think that the Sox and Patriots should always win, who've never felt the pain that is supposed to come from following these teams - its all very annoying. In fact, I decided to exchange a t-shirt that a friend sent for Christmas. It said "don't you wish you were a part of Red Sox Nation?" and I had to tell him how I wish there were fewer people, not encouraging more to join, or be obnoxious because I am and you aren't. So I had him order a replacement that shows an apple core with an NY insignia and it says "How 'Bout Them Apples?" I figured it was a good way to rib a Yankee fan since we finally took the Division crown and a second World Championship in this Millenium. But at the same time, it leaves that Yankee fan to say "26" or whatever, so its good. Not some obnoxious, don't you wish you were a Sox fan message.

So in the battle of Old New England vs Old New York (yet another variant!), this is one vote for Old New England?

I find it annoying that so many people are finding New England sports fans to be so obnoxious and entitled.

No opinion about Pats, Bruins, Celts fans, but I've always found Red Sox fans obnoxious. It has nothing to do with appearing entitled, but with the exaggerated fatalism/overintellectualized analysis/whining practiced by longtime fans.

The year I moved from the Midwest (Chi area) to the East Coast was 1978, the comeback/Bucky Dent year. I used to purchase the Boston Globe. The day after the playoff/Dent HR, the Globe ran a monstrous story in which they analyzed every single 1978 Sox loss, the message being "If we had won just one of these games, we'd be in the postseason". [The story was so detailed that it had to have been written before the 1-game "play-in" took place.] I found this incredibly whiny and bush, but typical of Soxdom, and it totally turned me off to the Sox, in perpetuity.

Edited by T.D.

I find it annoying that so many people are finding New England sports fans to be so obnoxious and entitled.

No opinion about Pats, Bruins, Celts fans, but I've always found Red Sox fans obnoxious. It has nothing to do with appearing entitled, but with the exaggerated fatalism/overintellectualized analysis/whining practiced by longtime fans.

The year I moved from the Midwest (Chi area) to the East Coast was 1978, the comeback/Bucky Dent year. I used to purchase the Boston Globe. The day after the playoff/Dent HR, the Globe ran a monstrous story in which they analyzed every single 1978 Sox loss, the message being "If we had won just one of these games, we'd be in the postseason". [The story was so detailed that it had to have been written before the 1-game "play-in" took place.] I found this incredibly whiny and bush, but typical of Soxdom, and it totally turned me off to the Sox, in perpetuity.

Are you saying that if you finished a game out of the playoffs, you wouldn't think about the five or ten or twenty games in the season that should have been won but slipped away? I don't think its whiny or bush, the only thing I would have done differently is to pare down the list to the top 10 or 15 winnable games that didn't turn out the right way, not an analysis of every single loss. After all, like they say, there are fifty games you're going to win no matter what and fifty you are going to lose. What happens with the other sixty is what determines your fate.

Basically it sounds like you resent the fact that New England and Boston in particular have so many intellectuals who have taken inspiration from the fatalism that resulted from following the team. This I can't quite comprehend. But don't worry - there isn't a lot of fatalism or whining in the fan base anymore. Intellectualizing the meaning of being a Boston fan or the significance of wins and losses is something that will endure, however. :rolleyes:

I used to purchase the Boston Globe. The day after the playoff/Dent HR, the Globe ran a monstrous story in which they analyzed every single 1978 Sox loss, the message being "If we had won just one of these games, we'd be in the postseason". [The story was so detailed that it had to have been written before the 1-game "play-in" took place.] I found this incredibly whiny and bush, but typical of Soxdom, and it totally turned me off to the Sox, in perpetuity.

Was that the year that Milwaukee somehow managed to beat us 4 times during the season? ..or was it 5? ^_^

'Old York' is a very cool place indeed - packed with history going back to the Romans and then the Danish Vikings, for whom it was a major port and settlement.

Here's one of the main medieval city gates - Micklegate Bar. Back in the days of the Wars of the Roses, they would hang the severed heads and body parts of traitors/userpers on pikes from the tower..

450px-Micklegate_Bar.jpg

Micklegate (the road) used also to have a very nice classical & jazz store with vinyl upstairs - at least until recently (I think they have since moved down the road).

Edited by sidewinder

'Old York' is a very cool place indeed - packed with history going back to the Romans and then the Danish Vikings, for whom it was a major port and settlement.

Here's one of the main medieval city gates - Micklegate Bar. Back in the days of the Wars of the Roses, they would hang the severed heads and body parts of traitors/userpers on pikes from the tower..

450px-Micklegate_Bar.jpg

Micklegate (the road) used also to have a very nice classical & jazz store with vinyl upstairs - at least until recently (I think they have since moved down the road).

So, in a battle of Old York vs New England, would this be a vote of confidence in/for Old York?

Does one consider Old England / Old York (what was that about a house divided against itself?) to be West of the European mainland, or East of North America? If the former, does that mean that we great TIVO-less unwashed will have to stay up until past 1 AM just to see the end of the contest? If the latter, should I get ready to endure another network-sponsored blast of East Coast Media Bias?

Looks like a lose / lose proposition to me no matter which way you spin the electrons.

It does but now dawn upon me that since the New York football Gaints play their "home" games in New Jersey, that the scope of this great debate need be now expanded to include the relative merits of New Jersey vs Old Jersey.

What sayest thou, oh ye great ones?

Well, Old Patriot = Boston, which is a subset of New England, so proceed with caution when making generalities and such.

However, there is a New Boston, Texas http://www.newbostontx.org/cake/ and I wonder if they're pissed, happy, or just plain indifferent about not being relevant to this most scintillating ponderance of the possibilitiies.

I wonder...