Zoom H2

Joe G

I just ordered one of these little guys, primarily because I started studying with Fareed Haque and wanted to record the lessons. I'm sure I'll think of other applications. Looks pretty slick! I like that they include all the stuff you need (adapters, earbuds, tripod, etc.). Should be here Friday.

H2

I bought one of these last summer and I've been pleased with it. I use it sometimes to record myself in practice (acoustic bass) but I use it primarily to record myself on gigs. It makes remarkably good recordings even in rather noisy nightclubs. I replaced the miniature tripod with a full size camera tripod which works well in most situations. My experience has been that it records best at about waist height - putting it near the floor on the mini-tripod seems to drown the recordings in bass notes.

I bought the first generation model and have been very happy with it other than the small display. Mostly, I've been using it to record band practice. I've also used it for some basic multitracked home recording. The mic emulation software is pretty decent. A nice inexpensive useful device. :tup

perfect - send the recordings to me, we start pressing 'em and bootlegging them all over the internet - he wants us to stop, he's gonna have to sacrifice his first born -

Some may not know this but Fareed is totally open with audience members recording his concerts and club gigs. I've done it many times. Not totally sure he'd feel good about circulating a lesson tape... I hear he yells alot and uses corporal punishment ! :g

Re the H2, I've seen a few in the wild but have never used or listened to one. I'd think they are perfect for the uses mentioned.

Edited by DPK

• 4 weeks later...

Of course, it was stolen from me not a week after I bought it, and I have yet to replace it.

:( Bummer.

Those motherf*ckers.

Yeah, I know. On the plus side, I may be able to get the charge to my credit card removed, which would be nice. I mean - bad enough that it got stolen, but now I have to pay the bill for something I no longer have?? Flip that. <_<

I picked up an H4 on eBay, and so far it's been pretty good. I've only used in to record some practice at my house, not out on any gigs. I was lured to the H4 over the H2 for the ability to use XLR cables to plug in higher quality mics (even though I don't actually have those better mics yet).

Other than that, I think you'd be fine with either one.