There Will Be Blood

sal

I was going to comment about this one in the film corner, but this is one of those films that deserves its own thread.

I am interested to see what you all think about this film. I don't want to say too much, but for me this was by far and away the best film of 2007. I feel that this will be one of the defining films of the decade for American cinema.

I was going to comment about this one in the film corner, but this is one of those films that deserves its own thread.

I am interested to see what you all think about this film. I don't want to say too much, but for me this was by far and away the best film of 2007. I feel that this will be one of the defining films of the decade for American cinema.

I talked about it in the movie thread, i will write it here

Saw the above mentionned movie, very fine movie, beautiful storytelling with a lot of twists, especially if you have not read the novel. The movie starts very slowly with about no dialogue whatsoever in the first 30 minutes or so, a little bit à la Once upon a time in the west. Be patient you will be rewarded as the story unfolds. Daniel Day Lewis has a field day as a character that is half business man half psychopath, so does the actor who plays the preacher character who is also involved in the most memorable scenes.

Edited by Van Basten II

I went to it this afternoon. I have been meaning to see it for a couple of weeks now and figured I better go today because today & tomorrow were the last days it will be on the biggest screen the Landmark chain has in town.

I am still soaking the film in but my first reaction is wow! :excited:

I must state a disclaimer though: I like all of P.T. Anderson's films.

In short:

DDL is terrific in this. An Oscar nom (at least!) is in the bag.

PTA remains, imo, a better filmmaker than storyteller.

For the most part, PTA leaves his pretentious filmmaking nature by the door, but he returns it for the climax, which not so coincidentally is my least favorite part of the film.

I found DDL's character incredible interesting from a psychological level, though I readily admit to not fully understanding him.

Paul Dano's character(s) makes for some provocative discussion afterwards.

Overall I found the film quite compelling - possibly PTA's "best" - but I also found it overhyped and not as good as several others this year.

I've liked all his films very much as well, but after this one, to me, they all seem amateurish in comparison.

edit to add that I've still been thinking about this film quite a bit. Not planning on watching anything else for a couple weeks to fully let this one sink in.

Edited by sal

I went to it this afternoon. I have been meaning to see it for a couple of weeks now and figured I better go today because today & tomorrow were the last days it will be on the biggest screen the Landmark chain has in town.

I am still soaking the film in but my first reaction is wow! :excited:

I saw it last night and absolutely loved it. I should note that I am NOT a P.T. Anderson fan. I very much disliked "Boogie Nights" and haven't bothered to see any of his other films.

I saw it last night and absolutely loved it. I should note that I am NOT a P.T. Anderson fan. I very much disliked "Boogie Nights" and haven't bothered to see any of his other films.

I can understand your dislike of "Boogie Nights" but I was surprised to find his other films are much different. I really enjoyed "Hard Eight" and "Magnolia" much more then "Boogie Nights."

Hmmm...the ads for this one caught my eye (yes, I've actually watched television since I arrived in Oregon; not much to do when it doesn't get over 20 F and you've never driven in snow before...), but if it's by the guy who did Magnolia, I might pass. Magnolia seemed to me to be a long joke related by someone with no sense of humor; in other hands it could have been funny, but it was too silly to be serious. Does that make sense?

Hmmm...the ads for this one caught my eye (yes, I've actually watched television since I arrived in Oregon; not much to do when it doesn't get over 20 F and you've never driven in snow before...), but if it's by the guy who did Magnolia, I might pass. Magnolia seemed to me to be a long joke related by someone with no sense of humor; in other hands it could have been funny, but it was too silly to be serious. Does that make sense?

Finally got to see There Will Be Blood.

It doesn't resemble Magnolia in any way, shape or form.

Daniel Day Lewis was great.

The ending was quite disturbing.

The movie received several Oscar nominations this a.m..