drummer available in London

dogtonharrants

Hello,

I live in London and am looking to develop my jazz drumming with jazz musicians. I have played rock for many years but have always wanted to play jazz and feel that now is the right time. I have the potential - I just need to work at it with the right musicians. As for the actual style of the music I am open at this stage (I appreciate 'jazz' is a very broad genre)..

Can anyone help me out here please?

Many thanks

Dan

dogtonharrants@hotmail.com

Dan,

Welcome to the forum. My suggestion is to find a good drum instructor who is actually a jazz drummer and can take rudiments and technique to the drum kit and show you how they can be used. A good jazz drummer can also explain the approach and concepts of jazz. Also, as Red stated, try and find a jam session somewhere and make it to as many jazz performances as possible and observe how the drummer listens and interacts with the other musicians. Listening is probably the most important element.. There are also many DVDs available that are helpful. One in particular is Steve Smith's "History Of The US Beat"..

I would also recommend listening to a lot of jazz and particularly listen to the alltime great recorded drummers and I'll list some of my favorites. (There are too many great drummers out there known and mostly unknown to list them all)..

Gene Krupa

Buddy Rich

Big Sid Catlett

Papa Jo Jones

Max Roach

Art Blakey

Philly Joe Jones

Roy Haynes

Roy McCurdy

Chico Hamilton

Jimmy Cobb

Jimmy Hopps