Woody Shaw

bertrand

These have never been on CD, nor are there any plans for this, correct?

I ask because I found out to my surprise that both are available on iTunes for $6 each. If there are no future plans for an actual CD, I will spring for these.

Any other Elektra/Musician titles I should keep my eyes out for?

Thanks,

Bertrand.

Very nice US only issue....

Couldn't find any trace of a cd issue either so I would go for the iTunes versions if I were you.

Yes, it's a geat shame that neither of these two recordings has ever had a CD release. I have both on vinyl and they are amongst my favourite Woody Shaw albums.

Does anyone know who has the rights to release 'Elektra Musician'?

Edited by Head Man

It's weird since they're both from the same gig, I think that Master Of the Art is a stone classic, but Night Music is kinda ho-hum (relatively speaking).

I'd say keep an eye out for the Griffith Park Collection LPs on E/M, espcially the live set. Fine stuff. Plus the Max/Clifford side.

Dexter's E/M album is better than generally given credit for, but not significantly so.

Back in the 1980s, for some odd reason these were by far the easiest Woody Shaw Lps to get in UK High Street vinyl emporia. Just about every HMV and Our Price had them by the bucket-load ! Fortunately I snapped both of them up (although not my favourite Woody Shaw albums they capture well the sound of the early 80s group with Turre and Mulgrew). Will dig them out to re-familiarise.

Yes, they are DRM, unfortunately. I have already listened to them. The sound is generally good, the price is right, and the music is quite nice, fantastic in parts. I especially like the version of Misterioso here.

Edited by John L