One O'Clock Jump

Harvard Blues

Slam-In Around

Laura

Stardust

Slam, Don't Shake Like That

Dark Eyes

Humoresque

Wrap Your Troubles in Dreams (And Dream Your Troubles Away)

Smoke Gets in Your Eyes

Slamboree

Recording dates given as 8-30, 9-6, & 11-1 1945.

Collective personnel = Byas, Errol Garner, Johnny Guarnieri, Slam Stewart, Doc West, & J.C. HErad

1-4 were on Super Disc, recorded as Byas Quartet, 8-30-45 - Byas, Garner, Slam, Doc

5-8 were on American, recorded as Byas Quartet, 9-6-45 - Byas, Guarnieri, Slam, JC

9-12 were on (the original) Arista, recorded as by Byas Quartet, 11-1-45 - Byas, Garner, Slam, Doc

Edited by Chuck Nessa

Indeed.

Super Disc?

Wow, what a name...wonder who else they recorded...

Loumell Morgan

Erskine Butterfield

Jimmy Crawley

Bullmoose Jackson

Doles Dickens

Courtland Carter

Sid Catlett

Bantam Blues Qt

Sonny Boy Williams

Viola Watkins

The Velvetones

Ram Ramirez

and a bunch of gospel stuff - maybe Goldberg knows something.

Super Disc (early name, Super Discs, when in New York) opened for business in 1945 and was owned by Irving Feld and Viola Marsham. Changed name when the firm moved to Washington DC in 1946.

The firm made R&B, Jazz, Gospel and C&W records. Most successful Super Disc recording I know of (there may have been a popular country act, though) is "Little boy" by Rev Kelsey (an important preasher in DC), which got to 13 on the R&B chart in 1948 (for one week only, folks). Elder Lightfoot Solomon Michaux also recorded for the label.

MGM acquired the catalogue in 1948. Feld and Marsham don't appear to have been associated with any other record companies.

American Don't know much about this company. It was based in Woodside, Long Island, NY. It made pop and Jazz records. First issue was in December 1945; last in November 1952.

Arista Another one I don't know much about. It was based in Baltimore. Made Gospel and Jazz records. Apparently closed in 1947.

MG

Super Disc (early name, Super Discs, when in New York) opened for business in 1945 and was owned by Irving Feld and Viola Marsham. Changed name when the firm moved to Washington DC in 1946.

The firm made R&B, Jazz, Gospel and C&W records. Most successful Super Disc recording I know of (there may have been a popular country act, though) is "Little boy" by Rev Kelsey

The one I see most often is Arthur Smith's "Guitar Boogie" (1004), originally credited to The Rambler Trio. I suspect this may have been the label's biggest hit.

I agree with Chuck. I find the post war indie labels to be an endlessly fascinating area of collecting - a lot more research needs to be done in compiling histories and listings of what came out on these labels, of which there are hundreds!

I believe the Alamac reference on the Drive CD may be to the fact that this CD dupicates an LP issued on Alamac in the 1970's.

I believe the Alamac reference on the Drive CD may be to the fact that this CD dupicates an LP issued on Alamac in the 1970's.

Right, I figured that...

Along w/the post-war indie labels, I'd like to know more about Alamac!

It would be interesting, too, to compare and contrast the post-WW II indies with the post-WW I labels like Gennett, Okeh, Cameo, the original Columbia, and others.

I remember that slew of cheap Alamac LPs filling the sales bins of rack stores back in the 70s. I bought a few of them, though frankly, I figured it for a classic fly-by-night, get-em-out-get-the-bread-and-get-out-of-the-country label! Was it legit?

The firm made R&B, Jazz, Gospel and C&W records. Most successful Super Disc recording I know of (there may have been a popular country act, though) is "Little boy" by Rev Kelsey

The one I see most often is Arthur Smith's "Guitar Boogie" (1004), originally credited to The Rambler Trio. I suspect this may have been the label's biggest hit.

Ah! Thanks for this ref. "Guitar boogie" was originally issued on Super Disc but apparently didn't get on the pop charts until after MGM had bought the company and reissued the single on MGM 10293. Of course, the Super Disc version may have been on the C&W chart before MGM bought the company.

I agree with Chuck. I find the post war indie labels to be an endlessly fascinating area of collecting - a lot more research needs to be done in compiling histories and listings of what came out on these labels, of which there are hundreds!

Me too. Galen Gart's ARLD "The American record label directory and dating guide 1940-1959" is an indispensible aid. But no individual records are listed - it would make the book impossibly huge. As it is, it's 259 pages with several thousand labels detailed (some better than others, of course). There's a handy index of individuals' names, too, so you can see which companies someone like Nesuhi Ertegun was involved in before Atlantic.

MG

I remember that slew of cheap Alamac LPs filling the sales bins of rack stores back in the 70s. I bought a few of them, though frankly, I figured it for a classic fly-by-night, get-em-out-get-the-bread-and-get-out-of-the-country label! Was it legit?

I seriously doubt it, but damn did they put some stuff out, including Bird w/the Herd. Not at all your typical cheapie label that recycled the same old same old.