Rarities

moonshinemaverick

Greetings all,

Comin’ fresh from registration...

been browsing through some jazz-oriented boards, and this appears to be a place where volks seem to be helplful and open minded on all things jazz…

I’ve been an avid collector for quite some time (mostly in the field of free/avant-garde/late 60s)…

and I wanted to start a discussion on some of the RARITIES out there…

I’ve been lately lucky to come across some fine examples and wanted to have a place where all us vinyl junkies could chat about particular gems and maybe assess & compare prices and rareness…

First question:

How often does one come by an original copy of Coltrane’s Ascension (Edition I)?

And how much would they go for?

I understand there’s not that many of them out there (maybe 1000 copies?)…

Second:

I just came across the Bob James Trio disk “Explosions” on ESP-DISK’…

How rare is that? Personally never seen one before... (quite a mind blowing disk, i might add)

Ok. I’ll be contemplating on some other inquiries…

In the meantime, glad to join the conversations.

And Happy Holidays to all…

- Moonshine

First question:

How often does one come by an original copy of Coltrane’s Ascension (Edition I)?

And how much would they go for?

I understand there’s not that many of them out there (maybe 1000 copies?)…

I suspect that a lot more than 1000 copies were pressed of the first "Ascension". This was on the market for the better part of a year before it was replaced with the second edition. In 1965-66 Coltrane was a very big name in jazz, and it seems that Impulse would have expected initial sales to have been strong.

Over the last 30 years I've seen 10-15 copies of it, and, although prices can be unpredictable, I would expect a clean copy of this would bring around $100.00 on Ebay.

My mono of A-95 was $30 a few years ago, in very nice shape (just a little yellowing on the back of the gatefold).

Keep in mind that there are a few pressings of the Bob James on ESP. My red-label mono (Folkways style jacket) was about $30, but I'm sure it could be had either for less or more, depending on the day and the pressing. It's a fantastic session.