Happy 87th Birthday Clark Terry!

Cyril

I'm definitely a huge Clark Terry fan. Is it because of his "ground breaking"? No. It's because of the joy evident in his playing, his tone, his sense of humor, the way he can elevate even an average session with his participation. Sure, there's plenty of mediocre stuff in his discography, but there are some REAL gems as well and nobody else on the planet sounds quite like him.

I hope he lives to be 120.

I'm definitely a huge Clark Terry fan. Is it because of his "ground breaking"? No. It's because of the joy evident in his playing, his tone, his sense of humor, the way he can elevate even an average session with his participation. Sure, there's plenty of mediocre stuff in his discography, but there are some REAL gems as well and nobody else on the planet sounds quite like him.

amen to what you've said, Shawn!

Absolutely! This one's a favorite of mine. Some might put this in the pile of mediocre dates, but hearing CT swinging his butt off over the latin grooves just makes me smile. :rolleyes:

B00014AUS2.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

:tup

It is amazing that Clark Terry is still performing and recording. I saw him in concert about two years ago, and he was still doing his routine where he plays a duet with himself on two horns, holding one in each hand. I met him by chance after the concert, as he was in a wheelchair on the sidewalk waiting to be helped onto the shuttle bus. He was very friendly and gracious. He tried to shake my hand and there was no grip, no strength there at all.

When I played trumpet in school (badly), I relied on my hands a lot in my playing. The higher the notes, the harder I gripped the trumpet and the more I pushed the mouthpiece into my lips. I think that many trumpet players do that. For Terry to be able to play as well as he did, without the hand strength, and to hold two trumpets up and play them well under those circumstances, I just don't understand how he does it.

Anything we can still hear from him is a bonus at this point.

trumpet is tough - Randy Sandke told me he stopped playing for a few years after being instructed badly about embouchure and busting his larynx - ouch - Doc Cheatham was a wonder of nature, more lip and chops at 90 than a whole band full of brass players. Gentle soul, but tough as nails privately -

Edited by AllenLowe

When I played trumpet in school (badly), I relied on my hands a lot in my playing. The higher the notes, the harder I gripped the trumpet and the more I pushed the mouthpiece into my lips. I think that many trumpet players do that.

Not ones who last...

Ah yes, the ArmStrong Range Extender quickly reaches its point of diminishing returns.

Give me those great Mainstream records by him and Bob Brookmeyer any day of the week. They are just great FUN to listen to, and the two of them played so well together.

And "Oscar Peterson Plus One." He was working that day. Happy Birthday, C.T.

I agree, these are some of his best recordings. Some other favorites of mine:

- The Happy Horns Of Clark Terry (Impulse) with Phil Woods, Ben Webster, Roger Kellaway

- What A Wonderful World: For Louis (Red Baron)

- One On One (Chesky) a series of duets with different pianists

Sideman dates:

- Budd Johnson And The Four Brass Giants (Riverside)

- Dave Bailey - One Foot In The Gutter (Epic)

- Buddy Tate - Tat-A-Tate (Prestige)

- SWR Big Band - Jazz Matinee (Haenssler)

- Tubby Hayes - New York Sessions (Columbia)

Edited by Tommy T