Ike Turner has passed

Aggie87

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just to reiterate, Ike was a terrific musician - but I think we have to take seriously the reports of his abusive side, which was more than just a matter of a bad temper. There were clearly incidents of coercive sex, and I see no shades of gray when it comes to rape. And once again, I think we have to take the victims at their word. I see no reason why Tina would make this stuff up. People wonder why she stayed with him for so long, but when it comes to sexual victimization that is nothing new -

If you want to hear amazing guitar work, about 10 years ahead of its time, listen to Ike's work on the sessions he did for Sue Records.

he was a bad guy who played great music - not the first; let's not forget that Ben Webster also reportedly abused women, Max Roach beat up Abby Lincoln, Miles Davis admitted to smacking Cicely Tyson around (and Howard McGhee told me that when Miles first saw McGhee's wife, who was standing right next to McGhee, Miles walked up to McGhee, pointed to her, and said "who's the white bitch?") - all of these incidents are important, because if we are going to discuss someone's personal qualities, we cannot leave out the bad stuff without essentially lying -

and I'm sorry to hear that about Doc Pomus, whom I've always admired -

Edited by AllenLowe

just to reiterate, Ike was a terrific musician - but I think we have to take seriously the reports of his abusive side, which was more than just a matter of a bad temper. There were clearly incidents of coercive sex, and I see no shades of gray when it comes to rape. And once again, I think we have to take the victims at their word. I see no reason why Tina would make this stuff up. People wonder why she stayed with him for so long, but when it comes to sexual victimization that is nothing new -

victims?!? who else besides Tina?

just heard via CNN that the toxology reports said that Ike died of a cocaine overdose and other mitigating circumstances. i had believed that he had been "clean" for a very long time. my guess is that he knew he was on his way out so felt, "what the f__k"!!

The report I heard said the mitigating circumstances were high blood pressure and emphysema. I'm thinking that maybe a stimulant that you inhale may not have been the best choice for Ike's recreational drug.

high blood pressure and cocaine don't mix.

JB

• 6 months later...