Ike Turner has passed

Aggie87

Ike Turner Dead, Report

Ike Turner is dead a report from AOL's entertainment website TMZ.Com is claiming. Turner was born in Clarksdale, Mississippi on November 5, 1931. He was 76 years old. Alongside his former wife Tina, he was inducted to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1991 and in 2001 was inducted into the St. Louis Walk of Fame.

A short report from TMZ claims that they have confirmed the passing of the soul singing legend. Turner apparently died in his home in San Marcos, Calif., just outside of San Diego. Sources tell TMZ he may have died in his sleep, according to the report that is now published on their website.

He has said to have been married as many as fourteen times, most famously to Tina Turner. Ike and Tina married in Tijuana, Mexico and Tina had a son with Ike.

However in an October 17, 2007 telephone interview conducted by satellite radio personality Howard Stern, Ike claimed he and Tina Turner were never actually married, though he didn't explain why they shared the same last name.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whoa!! i had heard a rumor weeks ago that he was ill and in the hospital. i worked for him in the '70s in his recording studio but hadn't seen him since he played in an oakland nightclub right after his release from prison.

he sure was a vital and vibrant man and it's hard to imagine him sick, let alone deceased, that's for sure.

I saw that biopic of Tina Turner on TV the other week, ValerieB ('What's Love Got To Do With It'). It was a pretty damning portrayal of Ike. Any thoughts on the portrayal?

they actually had a composite character in that film who was part me and part an ex-ikette. the ikette who wouldn't take no stuff from him and introduced tina to buddhism and how to chant to get away from him!! now, suffice it to say, i was never an ikette!

the portrayal of ike was fairly accurate, i guess, but also one-sided. he most definitely was more than a one-dimensional figure. he could be extremely charming and fun to be with but he was very domineering with his women, that's for sure.

I saw that biopic of Tina Turner on TV the other week, ValerieB ('What's Love Got To Do With It'). It was a pretty damning portrayal of Ike. Any thoughts on the portrayal?

i was never an ikette!

Now, Val, a new picture of you formed in my head until that sentence!

actually, david, some folks thought at the time that i was prettier than some of the ikettes!! pictures of what i looked like in those days would blow your mind, i think! :rolleyes:

Does this mean that you'll post one?

if i ever learn how to scan pictures and put my hands on some of the pictures, i will. i just remembered that ike had me go to a clothing designer/seamstress to make me these hot pants outfits with tunics or dresses over them to wear at the studio!! that's what was happening then in fashion!! :blink:

Ike has never really gotten his due. That is not doubt related to all the negative publicity surrounding his relationship with Tina and the motion picutre.

His contributions to American music are formidable. He was a primary mover in the development of R&B and Rock and Roll. His guitar playing was highly innovative. I have a feeling that Jimi Hendrix, for example, would have sounded very different without the trail that Ike blazed.

Edited by John L