Best Who Song

Tim McG

OK.

I make it no secret that in my youth [born in 1954, raised in the 60s and 70s] I was a big time Who fan and a fan of Blues Rock in general. Couldn't help it. The Vietnam War was raging and all we had to cling to was the music.

IMHO, the best Who album ever is Live at Leeds, bar none, hands down, game over....end of conversation.

HOWEVER....what I want to know is which of the many great Who tunes you consider to be the best few of the bunch.

In short, I'm Goin' Mobile on this one :D

Happy Jack was a favorite of mine as a young lad in junior HS.

As I moved on into High School and became an angry young man in opposition to the Vietnam War and the draft, I gravitated toward songs like Won't Get Fooled Again, My Generation, Substitute, Young Man Blues and Behind Blue Eyes.

Even now, when I hear these songs, the anger is as palatable as it was back then when my friends and I faced down the draft.

But as an all time favorite Who tune I'd have to say it was Pinball Wizard.

Edited by GoodSpeak

I don't know that I could have a best Who album. Some days it's Live at Leeds (and Tim, if you haven't heard the complete uncensored LAL, PM me. Hearing the full versions of "Shakin' All Over" and "Magic Bus" were revelations); if I need a good midlife-crisis self-pity party, Who By Numbers and especially "Dreaming from the Waist," "However Much I Booze," "Imagine a Man," and "They're All in Love" do the trick every time. If I wanna relive my late-elementary memories, I'll throw on Tommy. Every now and then, Who's Next is about as perfect as rock & roll gets, particularly "Bargain."

Tough call, indeed.

But to answer the original question? I think it would have to be "I Can See for Miles." Everything you need to know about the Who (and in some ways, rock & roll itself) wrapped up in a tighter-than-hell three minute blast of fury.

I don't know that I could have a best Who album. Some days it's Live at Leeds (and Tim, if you haven't heard the complete uncensored LAL, PM me. Hearing the full versions of "Shakin' All Over" and "Magic Bus" were revelations); if I need a good midlife-crisis self-pity party, Who By Numbers and especially "Dreaming from the Waist," "However Much I Booze," "Imagine a Man," and "They're All in Love" do the trick every time. If I wanna relive my late-elementary memories, I'll throw on Tommy. Every now and then, Who's Next is about as perfect as rock & roll gets, particularly "Bargain."

Tough call, indeed.

But to answer the original question? I think it would have to be "I Can See for Miles." Everything you need to know about the Who (and in some ways, rock & roll itself) wrapped up in a tighter-than-hell three minute blast of fury.

I had forgot about I Can See for Miles...it was another big favorite of mine as a young teen.

Tough call, indeed.

I had forgot about I Can See for Miles...it was another big favorite of mine as a young teen.

Miles Davis thought that "I Can See for Miles" was written about him, according to the book written by his roadie.