Chris Potter - FOLLOW THE RED LINE (Live at the Vanguard)

JSngry

Anybody bought the other Potter release that came out at the same time. 10 songs for anyone with a tentet.

Some good bits but as constant as you hope it would be but still a fine record.

I bought them both more or less when they came out. Songs for Anyone is quite good, reminds me of Wayne Shorter's Alegria in some ways. Both releases deserve attention IMO.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry about the following "deviation," Jim, but about using culture as a club, I'm reminded of the line (often misattributed to Hermann Goering, sometimes to Heinrich Himmler or Josef Goebbels): "Wenn ich Kultur höre ... entsichere ich meinen Browning." ("Whenever I hear of culture... I release the safety-catch of my Browning.") It's from Nazi playwright/Poet Laureate Hans Johst’s play "Schlagater,” about an executed (in 1923) member of the nascent Nazi Party, Albert Leo Schlagater, who then became one of the party's chief martyrs, a la Horst Wessel.

What I mean to suggest by this (and again, it's something of a deviation from what we've been talking about) is that while all acts of what might be called culture arguably have political/social meaning, the too-ready, too-eager desire to leap from the one realm to the other (or even to decide that there is at bottom only one realm -- that of political-social action) has a fairly long and unpretty history behind it. On the other hand, if none of the above rings a bell, at least Organissimo now knows where that ""Wenn ich Kultur höre ..." line came from.

Oh, so you're worried that I might take my Chris Potter record and maybe some house/broken-beat and use them for some sort of neo-Nazi propagandistic power play in an attempt to take over the Music World And Beyond?

Well gee, Larry, I certainly understand your concern, given my industry-insider status and my history of megalomania and such, but I assure you that my intentions are slightly less grandiose.

Edited by JSngry

I think he sounds frickin' fantastic! Tonally, not that far from Wayne Krantz, his predecessor in this band.

Here's a clip I've watched a bunch of times of that lineup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpO5ST84cwU

(and my favorite quote from the comments section:

note choice- awesome

shirt choice- horrifying :lol: )

But Adam has some great stuff of his own, pretty abstract and "slippery" most of the time, and I like what he's doing here.

Also, this band reminds me a little of Joshua Redman's group with Brian Blade and Sam Yahel. But Potter's group hits quite a bit harder, I think, and is a bit more engaging for me. I say that with all due respect, as I am a fan of Yahel and especially Blade.

Also, this band reminds me a little of Joshua Redman's group with Brian Blade and Sam Yahel. But Potter's group hits quite a bit harder, I think, and is a bit more engaging for me. I say that with all due respect, as I am a fan of Yahel and especially Blade.

I have heard the records by that band, and "hits quite a bit harder" is an exponential understatement, I think!

And it might be just me, but some of the solo grooves on some of the solos here almost seem like a "real player" version of that mix of jazz improvisational sensibility & broken-beat rhythmic esthetic that I've been hearing\wanting to hear for awhile now. Some might hear "fusion" or "funk", and I know what they mean, but this just feels a little different, and I think there might be some of that house/broken beat thing in the mix somewhere affecting that.

And btw - who the hell is this drummer, Nate Smith? This cat's tough!

And it might be just me, but some of the solo grooves on some of the solos here almost seem like a "real player" version of that mix of jazz improvisational sensibility & broken-beat rhythmic esthetic that I've been hearing\wanting to hear for awhile now. Some might hear "fusion" or "funk", and I know what they mean, but this just feels a little different, and I think there might be some of that house/broken beat thing in the mix somewhere affecting that.

I'll keep that in mind about the broken-beat esthetic next time I listen.

I have heard the records by that band, and "hits quite a bit harder" is an exponential understatement, I think!

I was being nice. :g

Did'ya dig that clip? Krantz blows me away on that (I love the shift towards a major-ish sound that happens over the course of his solo), and that rhythm team - DAMN.

No time for the clip tonite, but will look tomorrow. promise.

The broken-beat thing (I guess the hip term now is "bruk") comes in the push-pull around a central point/axis, and it happens behind the solos. In other words, the momentum is in the service of intensifying the experience of staying in one place rather than moving the experience along from Point A to Point B (or Z...). The elasticity pulls out, and instead of going somewhere else, snaps back, each time a little harder than the time before.

That's not a particularly good way to describe it, but that's the best I can do right now...

"Follow The Red Line" is a fantastic album, and I do like the sometimes technoish rhythms going on in spots, but I LOVE that four on the floor Smith starts hitting during Potters solo on "Pop Tune #1". Tho funnily, as I started listening to the album first thing I noticed was Nate Smith was playing a DeJohnette encore ride :rofl:

Edited by CJ Shearn

nope its not. theres some drum n bass and electronica rhythms going on too, theres a lot of that going on in the second set jam discs of Christian McBride's "Live At Tonic" from last year. This is the sorta thing I'm hoping guys like Kenny Garrett and Pat Metheny get into, as their work has shown flashes of it.

Edited by CJ Shearn