Jazz tunes that refer to science fiction novels and tales

Larry Kart

Jazz tunes or jazz recording titles? We do have Ornette's Complete Science Fiction Sessions and Christian McBride's Sci Fi.

Tunes whose titles are taken from specific novels or tales is what I had in mind. Thus, the Ornette and McBride recordings wouldn't count, or the Corea pieces or lots of Sun Ra things either.

From what I have read only, the Corea pieces refer to specific stories published within Scientology, about aliens coming to earth long ago and interacting with humans. My knowledge of Scientology is limited to what I have read in articles written by others.

scientology's founder, l. ron hubbard, was a noted science fiction writer before his entrance into the religion biz. corea's the ultimate adventure and to the stars bear the titles of two of hubbard's science fiction novels.

weather report's i sing the body electric

Unless you forgot to add a smiley face or the like, are you're saying that Walt Whitman wrote science fiction?

nah, i was just hoping that joe had borrowed the title from ray or rod, rather than from old walt. :rolleyes:

Edited by jazzshrink

The Charlie Mariano composition 'Slan' showed up first in 1955 on the Frank Rosolino album 'Frankly Speaking!' and reappeared on the 1956 Shelly Manne album 'Swinging Sounds'.

according to jack chambers dick twardzik discography

http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~chambers/twardzik2.html

there is an earlier (1954) recording, Serge Chaloff's Fable of Mable where it is titled Slam ?!

The Charlie Mariano composition 'Slan' showed up first in 1955 on the Frank Rosolino album 'Frankly Speaking!' and reappeared on the 1956 Shelly Manne album 'Swinging Sounds'.

That's it. And I've got both of them. It was "The Swinging Sounds" version that was in the back of my mind, but it refused to migrate from back to front.