My computer has slowed to a crawl

Unk

15 minutes to load the Forums home page (with minimal graphics/photos). Killin' me.

It's not the DSL, because that works fine on other computers. I'm running Zone Alarm security package and its up-to-date (and hasn't ever been turned off). The OS is XP Pro.

Perhaps there's some firewall conflict between the OS and Zone Alarm.

I see lots of diagnotic and cleanup software for sale. Any of it good?

And yes, I've defragged and done all those Microsoft performance/tool things. The hard drive is only about 10% full. The OS is also up-to-date. Only the internet performance seems affected, but my other programs aren't all that demanding.

Yours ignorantly,

Unk

Ad-Aware 2007 Free

Spybot Search & Destroy

I use both of these - I normally run full system scans on my machines using one right after the other, as they will each find things that the other won't. Combine with AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition, and you should be pretty well-protected from a software standpoint. From a hardware standpoint, if you don't have a NAT router, you should get one even if you're only running one computer off your DSL connection and don't need to share it with other computers - it will provide an additional significant layer of protection to the computer(s) behind the router.

I've heard mixed things about Zone Alarm - my dad uses it and has been relatively pleased with it, but other people I know don't care for it. I've never used it myself.

When confronted to an Internet problem, the first thing to do should be to check if it exists with a different browser as well.

If you use IE, install Firefox. Both browsers can be installed and used at the same time.

The other thing is to deactivate the Firewall temporarily, to see if that is the problem.

Always change one thing at a time and check the result. If it doesn't help, undo the change and change something else.

I don't know any competent diagnostics software.

Edited by Claude