definition change for privacy

have adventurous jazz musicians recently been targeted for extra government scrutiny, solely based on their music? i suspect many have.

do i recall reading that cecil taylor's hands were broken in the 50's?

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/us/AP-Terr...agewanted=print :tdown

Edited by alocispepraluger102

have adventurous jazz musicians recently been targeted for extra government scrutiny, solely based on their music? i suspect many have.

It may have been the 60's, but I don't have the resource to verify it. I believe the same thing happened to Ornette Coleman. From what I remember reading from somewhere, he was "paid" or "told" to sit out a couple of years (somewhere between '63 and '66; The Empty Foxhole was his first studio album in years) by thugs who may have been hired by the major labels because artists like Coleman and Taylor were taking a chunk of the business away from the commerical acts. Again, no way I can verify the story, just remember reading it and I could have it wrong. Does anyone know if that actually happened or not? I think Sunny Murray was also targeted, which he talked about in an interview he gave awhile back. I think the other stories came from an article I read about the BYG/Actuel label and their dealings, but I'm not sure.

It may have been the 60's, but I don't have the resource to verify it. I believe the same thing happened to Ornette Coleman. From what I remember reading from somewhere, he was "paid" or "told" to sit out a couple of years (somewhere between '63 and '66; The Empty Foxhole was his first studio album in years) by thugs who may have been hired by the major labels because artists like Coleman and Taylor were taking a chunk of the business away from the commerical acts. Again, no way I can verify the story, just remember reading it and I could have it wrong. Does anyone know if that actually happened or not? I think Sunny Murray was also targeted, which he talked about in an interview he gave awhile back. I think the other stories came from an article I read about the BYG/Actuel label and their dealings, but I'm not sure.

Further comment/information would be greatly appreciated... I've never heard either of those stories.

The government doesn't give a damn about "adventurous music". If they're going to target anyone for scrutiny it will be for political reasons.

By the government? Were the jazz police part of the government then?

It may have been the 60's, but I don't have the resource to verify it. I believe the same thing happened to Ornette Coleman. From what I remember reading from somewhere, he was "paid" or "told" to sit out a couple of years (somewhere between '63 and '66; The Empty Foxhole was his first studio album in years) by thugs who may have been hired by the major labels because artists like Coleman and Taylor were taking a chunk of the business away from the commerical acts. Again, no way I can verify the story, just remember reading it and I could have it wrong. Does anyone know if that actually happened or not?

Coleman apparently didn't record between Dec. 1962 and June 1965, but I don't think commercial acts were particularly worried by avant-garde jazz at the time. "BEATLES CONCERT A FLOP; ORNETTE COLEMAN PACKS SHEA STADIUM." Nah, I don't see it. :rolleyes:

Edited by Tom Storer