Movie: American Gangster

I saw it. Its definitely not bad, and is fairly entertaining. However, the entire time I was watching it, I kept thinking to myself how it had all the ingredients to be a really great film, but ended up being just a good one. Something was missing.

edit for spelling

Edited by sal

I saw it. Its definitely not bad, and is fairly entertaining. However, the entire time I was watching it, I kept thinking to myself how it had all the ingredients to be a really great film, but ended up being just a good one. Something was missing.

edit for spelling

I could use that exact same review to describe Talk To Me with Don Cheadle...should've been great, in the end was just good.

I imagine it will be entertaining, but judging by the preview clips I have seen, it appears the movie over hypes Lucas like Goodfellas did Henry Hill.

By that I mean the government and Lucas himself liked to paint a much larger picture.

I'm curious if the movie shows how he used to sell out his friends and just about everyone he did business with to save his ass everytime he was in trouble.

No doubt Lucas was a drug dealer in Harlem, but I suspect the movie makes him seem much larger than what was real life. If you listen to those Denzel Washington interviews he would have you believe Lucas walked on water.

I had a similar reaction. I also felt that Washington's portrayal, despite his statements otherwise in interviews, probably made Lucas seem a little more likeable than he actually was at the time. Washington was far more convincing of a bad guy in "Training Day".

I'll definitely rent it when it goes to dvd. I can't wait!

believe it or not, i've got a dvd copy already

I believe it. I had a copy before the movie actually was released (I did not watch the DVD though because I was committed to seeing the movie in the theater with my mother - a huge Denzel Washington fan). I heard that before it was released it was available on the internet.

Washington was far more convincing of a bad guy in "Training Day".

Agreed. Denzel is always better when he pushes it a bit like in "Malcolm X" and "Training Day". His performance as Frank Lucas, while fine and all, didn't seem like it required much effort from him. He was a good choice to play the role, though. The casting in this film was very well done. Ruby Dee stole the show as Mrs. Lucas.

edit because I can't spell today

Edited by sal

I had a similar reaction. I also felt that Washington's portrayal, despite his statements otherwise in interviews, probably made Lucas seem a little more likeable than he actually was at the time. Washington was far more convincing of a bad guy in "Training Day".

I agree with the above opinions, although I will say, that at 2 hours and 40 minutes, it moved right along, and I found it very entertaining. The performance from Russell Crowe was surprisingly low-key. Some fine characters in the secondary roles, especially Ruby Dee. I did find the portrayal of Lucas' well-oiled operation very interesting.

I agree with the above opinions, although I will say, that at 2 hours and 40 minutes, it moved right along, and I found it very entertaining. The performance from Russell Crowe was surprisingly low-key. Some fine characters in the secondary roles, especially Ruby Dee. I did find the portrayal of Lucas' well-oiled operation very interesting.

I think the "well-oiled" portayal was somewhat of a Lucas fantasy.