2007 Hot Stove League Thread

Latest from Nick Cardafo:

ORLANDO - It's been fairly quiet here today at the GM's meetings as executives and scouts continue to trickle in from all over.

There have been several teams wondering which way to go with their center field situation and the name most often mentioned is Coco Crisp.

The reason is the expense of the other available free-agent center fielders, including Torii Hunter, Andruw Jones, Aaron Rowand, and Mike Cameron. Crisp is relatively cheap, young and can run. Among the teams linked to Crisp include Minnesota, Houston, Texas, Philadelphia, Atlanta, the Chicago White Sox, and San Diego. There are likely others as well.

The White Sox seem interested in Crisp but there's a lot of Johnny Damon-for-Joe Crede talk here between the White Sox and Yankees. The White Sox need to get a name player and Damon is definitely one player they're considering strongly.

So there's your confirmation that Coco has some appeal despite his recent hitting struggles. I would think the Yanks would jump at a Crede-for-Damon swap since the salaries are quite uneven and I don't think they'd do any better than Crede.

A Crede for Damon swap would be a good move for the Yanks IMO, it clears a little of the DH/outfield jam and makes it possible to sign Rowand and move Melky Cabrera to left with Abreu in right. The defense improves quite a bit that way and Matsui can DH and do some outfield. Paging Mr Cashman...

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Has anyone noticed that A-Rod's team of choice is the Red Sox?

How 'bout them apples, eh? :g

Yeah, well, he wants to win a championship and figures that the Red Sox have the best chance to win more than one over the life of a contract.

Note that he isn't hot to join San Francisco because he thinks they are going to win anytime soon.

ORLANDO - It's been fairly quiet here today at the GM's meetings as executives and scouts continue to trickle in from all over.

There have been several teams wondering which way to go with their center field situation and the name most often mentioned is Coco Crisp.

The reason is the expense of the other available free-agent center fielders, including Torii Hunter, Andruw Jones, Aaron Rowand, and Mike Cameron. Crisp is relatively cheap, young and can run. Among the teams linked to Crisp include Minnesota, Houston, Texas, Philadelphia, Atlanta, the Chicago White Sox, and San Diego. There are likely others as well.

The White Sox seem interested in Crisp but there's a lot of Johnny Damon-for-Joe Crede talk here between the White Sox and Yankees. The White Sox need to get a name player and Damon is definitely one player they're considering strongly.

So there's your confirmation that Coco has some appeal despite his recent hitting struggles. I would think the Yanks would jump at a Crede-for-Damon swap since the salaries are quite uneven and I don't think they'd do any better than Crede.

A Crede for Damon swap would be a good move for the Yanks IMO, it clears a little of the DH/outfield jam and makes it possible to sign Rowand and move Melky Cabrera to left with Abreu in right. The defense improves quite a bit that way and Matsui can DH and do some outfield. Paging Mr Cashman...

Damon is the one with the limited no-trade clause, so he's the one likely to go. Good for the Yankees because he's probably also the least valuable of their plethora of OF/DH types. Of course, Matsui would have to compete with Giambi for DH starts. I hear that they like Rowand for some set of "intangibles" but I wonder if he has any interest in NY. Also not sure that Melky should be moved out of CF. Is Rowand really faster? I doubt it, and there are very few arms that compare to Cabrera's.

crede would make a great 3rd baseman for yanquis.

No, they had a great 3rd baseman. Crede would be mediocre at best. His 162 game average is a .259 batting average, .305 OBP, 25 home runs and 85 RBI. A-Rod would have exceeded those stats by the all-star break.

maybe the rod wants to play ss and be the allstar over the jeterman.

Yeah, well, he wants to win a championship and figures that the Red Sox have the best chance to win more than one over the life of a contract.

Note that he isn't hot to join San Francisco because he thinks they are going to win anytime soon.

That's not what I hear.

SF would be the best fit for him as a shortstop [his natural position] and in the high praise and accolades squandered on him in NY.

Boston could give a shit from what I have heard.

Edited by GoodSpeak

That's not what I hear.

SF would be the best fit for him as a shortstop [his natural position] and in the high praise and accolades squandered on him in NY.

Boston is going to monitor the situation going forward as they attempt to re-sign Lowell.

And my point stands uncontested:

A-Rod wants to go to Boston to win a championship.

A-Rod hasn't said squat that he wants to go to SF to win a championship, because it ain't happening anytime soon with that roster. And it won't happen anytime soon when his 35 million dollar salary represents 25%+ of the team's payroll. Or did you not notice how that worked out for Texas?

That's not what I hear.

Boston is going to monitor the situation going forward as they attempt to re-sign Lowell.

And my point stands uncontested:

A-Rod wants to go to Boston to win a championship.

A-Rod hasn't said squat that he wants to go to SF to win a championship, because it ain't happening anytime soon with that roster. And it won't happen anytime soon when his 35 million dollar salary represents 25%+ of the team's payroll. Or did you not notice how that worked out for Texas?

It's all about money with Boras / ARod. It's going to be who gives the most cash that gets him, whether it's Boston or Tampa Bay, Arod is going where the money is, end of story.

...And confirmation that his price is a leading attribute. Funny, no mention of glove...

...And confirmation that his price is a leading attribute. Funny, no mention of glove...

I'm pretty sure I mentioned that his being cost controlled at a reasonable salary was an important part of his appeal.

Meanwhile, looks like Big Schill is returning to the Sox:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/reds...ling_sox_close/

I'm a little surprised, as last week the Globe was reporting that the team would only offer a low salary plus incentives, never getting near 13 million guaranteed, and that Schilling would probably leave. Assuming this gets done, its obvious that the team wants to use their young pitchers for depth next season. They'll use Schilling and Wake in the rotation, and either Lester is the number 5 starter or Lester and Buchholz fight it out in spring training. Either way, the one who doesn't get it, plus Masterson and Bowden, will be on call if either of the old farts break down or show that they can't hack it.

While I'm anxious to see what these kids can do, it probably makes sense. Best case scenario, you have Schilling adding to his post-season resume one more time next October. I do hope though that their picking up the option on Tavarez wasn't to include him for pitching depth but to control a marketable asset. He's made it clear he wants to start and did a fairly good job at it last year. As a starter with a 3.5 million dollar salary, he should be worth something to a lot of teams, when you consider what free agent starters are getting.

Pettitte declined NYY's $16 MM option tender. He had previously (before Torre's axing) said he'd either return to NY or retire. Perhaps he's now re-evaluating.

No, he says he needs more time to decide, and that the choices remain NY or retirement. What I don't understand is why he signed a contract last year that had such a small window for him to decide on his player option. Why not have 30 days after the WS? Or is there a limit in the Players Agreement as to how long a team or player has to make a decision on picking up an option year?

Either way, I have no doubt that if he decides to return, he will sign for the same 16 million, and only with the Yanks. Otherwise, Pettitte is every bit as two-faced as A-Rod.

And Buster Olney is reporting that the deal is done, with Schill agreeing to a much lower guarantee - eight million - to stay in Boston. I guess the hometown discount lives, as he surely could have gotten his 13 million with a vesting option for a second year elsewhere. The Globe is reporting that two million in incentives are based on a weight clause. I like that part a lot! Another three million in performance incentives, based on innings pitched if the AP has it right.

Apparently some people in the league think that Schilling can re-gain some speed on his fastball if he's in better shape, I can't imagine why though. I guess we will definitely be finding out if his Frank Tanana stuff can get it done in the AL East over a full season.

SI is reporting that the Marlins are officially accepting offers on Miguel Cabrera, which brings up an interesting question for my fellow Hot Stove enthusiasts:

Say you have a group of highly regarded prospects/young players. Who are you more willing to give them up for, Johan Santana or Miguel Cabrera?

Bear in mind that Santana is one year from free agency, Cabrera is two years.

I am not sure which I'd choose, but since we know that Cabrera is available, I think the Red Sox should look seriously into what it might take. I know that means setting Lowell free, but you don't get a shot very often at a hitter whose number one comparable through age 24 is Hank Freakin' Aaron ! Trading for Cabrera would be like re-acquiring Manny just as Manny 1.0 is winding down.

Now, there are lots of negatives:

Bad defense

Bad attitude

too much in love with the post-game buffet table

But the defense could certainly be minimized by moving him to first base and switching Youkilis to 3B. Then in three years or so when Papi's body is worn out ( we know how his physical type tends to have a swift decline phase) and Cabrera is the size of Cecil Fielder, you move him to DH.

I also have to wonder whether coming to Boston and being exposed to Papi and Manny wouldn't cure him of his attitude problems in a hurry. Fact is, in Florida he has no veterans to look up to or learn from. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets his act together placed in that clubhouse.

So who to give up? In my opinion, only Ellsbury and Buchholz should be off limits. Probably Pedroia too. Lester should be the centerpiece of such a trade - I am firmly of the opinion that Buchholz ceiling far eclipses Lester's. Hansen, Bowden, Masterson, Coco, Tavarez (the last two give them affordable veterans to use now) and Lester. Pick four.

Another option is to keep Mikey and trade Youk, who is a bit old for a second year player and has shown a disturbing tendency to regress badly in the second half of a season. I'm not sure that the lineup would suffer that much with Ellsbury leading off and Pedroia batting second. That steady diet of fastballs would keep Pedroia hitting .300 for a long time to come.

I guess that's my answer to the original question: If I'm Theo, I trade for Cabrera first, because if he is signed long-term, he fills an organizational need - great power bat - that is more dire than the organizational need that Santana fills. Not to mention that Santana could be a rental anyway, and a shorter-term one at that.

I'll say this though: I'm glad that the Yankees are so committed to their youth program, because the old Yankees would make a trade for Cabrera in an instant, and they'd get A-Rod level production at third without missing a beat.

And in much smaller news, Tribe picks up one year options on three of their potentially available pitchers: Joe Borowski ($4M), Aaron Fultz ($1.5M), and Paul Byrd ($8M). Given the HGH mess, the last is a bit of a surprise given MLB hasn't informed Byrd/Tribe what, if anything, will happen to him. Byrd is a 4-5 guy in a good rotation, and that's probably a reasonable price (or a little rich) for him if he's not suspended for 50 games. Borowski is overrated/underachieving, but appears not to be a headcase like Wickman was (so hopefully, Betancourt, Perez or someone else can ease into closing and Borowski can become a 6th inning guy. Come on Wedgie, thinkabout it... :rolleyes: ). Fultz is a decent lefty matchup guy, and inexpensive.

Main goal for Tribe is to find a powerhitting leftfielder, most likely via trade. One possibility suggested by the Plain Dealer's Terry Pluto is Jason Bay in Pittsburgh. Some knee problems, but a reasonable contract. And another ex-Indians man in the front office there (Neal Huntington).

And if someone else signs Kenny Lofton, Tribe will be entitled to a sandwich pick in the draft. Come on down! Your ticket to the postseason! Sign Kenny up for your team TODAY!

Interesting about Miguel Cabrera. Have no idea what it would take or (more importantly for the present conversation) what I'd be willing to see the Tribe surrender. The Ortiz/Ramirez influence in Beantown might be helpful, or not... Does Manny really lead in that clubhouse, by example (?) or otherwise? He always struck me as this amazing hitter who was a bit deficient in other categories (including giving enough attention to anything not hitting-related), and even shy. I think Ortiz has been helpful to Manny outside the batter's box. Not sure if that would also work with MC. Maybe it would.

SI is reporting that the Marlins are officially accepting offers on Miguel Cabrera, which brings up an interesting question for my fellow Hot Stove enthusiasts:

Say you have a group of highly regarded prospects/young players. Who are you more willing to give them up for, Johan Santana or Miguel Cabrera?

Bear in mind that Santana is one year from free agency, Cabrera is two years.

I am not sure which I'd choose, but since we know that Cabrera is available, I think the Red Sox should look seriously into what it might take. I know that means setting Lowell free, but you don't get a shot very often at a hitter whose number one comparable through age 24 is Hank Freakin' Aaron ! Trading for Cabrera would be like re-acquiring Manny just as Manny 1.0 is winding down.

Now, there are lots of negatives:

Bad defense

Bad attitude

too much in love with the post-game buffet table

But the defense could certainly be minimized by moving him to first base and switching Youkilis to 3B. Then in three years or so when Papi's body is worn out ( we know how his physical type tends to have a swift decline phase) and Cabrera is the size of Cecil Fielder, you move him to DH.

I also have to wonder whether coming to Boston and being exposed to Papi and Manny wouldn't cure him of his attitude problems in a hurry. Fact is, in Florida he has no veterans to look up to or learn from. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets his act together placed in that clubhouse.

So who to give up? In my opinion, only Ellsbury and Buchholz should be off limits. Probably Pedroia too. Lester should be the centerpiece of such a trade - I am firmly of the opinion that Buchholz ceiling far eclipses Lester's. Hansen, Bowden, Masterson, Coco, Tavarez (the last two give them affordable veterans to use now) and Lester. Pick four.

Another option is to keep Mikey and trade Youk, who is a bit old for a second year player and has shown a disturbing tendency to regress badly in the second half of a season. I'm not sure that the lineup would suffer that much with Ellsbury leading off and Pedroia batting second. That steady diet of fastballs would keep Pedroia hitting .300 for a long time to come.

I guess that's my answer to the original question: If I'm Theo, I trade for Cabrera first, because if he is signed long-term, he fills an organizational need - great power bat - that is more dire than the organizational need that Santana fills. Not to mention that Santana could be a rental anyway, and a shorter-term one at that.

I'll say this though: I'm glad that the Yankees are so committed to their youth program, because the old Yankees would make a trade for Cabrera in an instant, and they'd get A-Rod level production at third without missing a beat.

I think the sox should wait on Santana if he doesn't get traded then grab him from the free agent market.

I also think resigning Schill means they want to keep Bucholz and Lester, they now have a legit #3 with Schill and he

can help mentor these kids.

Cabrera scares me ,if he tends to gain weight now at his age ......it won't get easier !

I can't imagine Theo trading Youk ..he LOVES this guy and his OBP.

Patrick,

I don't think MLB can do anything to Byrd, so picking up his option made sense. I'm still having a hard time though believing his medical claim if in fact his prescription was written by a Florida dentist who ultimately had his license taken away by the state. But since none of it was subject to sanctions at the time, I don't think Bud can or will do anything.

Borowski is another matter though. Didn't he have a two year deal with the Phils originally, but he failed his physical - because it made the doctors think his arm would blow up before the contract was over - and then he signed with the Tribe? So if the physical was so bad a year ago, why are they bringing him back for another year? I agree that they have to slide him out of the closer role. Betancourt is the man, Borowski shouldn't pitch past the seventh inning under any circumstances.

As for Manny, I was thinking more in terms of leading by example. Although Baseball Reference doesn't see it that way, to me Cabrera is a young Manny, with the same God-given ability to hit. But Manny works his butt off at it, and from what I hear, Cabrera not so much. But people like Papi and Lowell and Tek are the kind of veterans who I think would make him see what it takes for long-term success in the league and keep after him. I have no idea what the answer is on the weight problem though.

But speaking of, get this: Big Schill proposed the weight clause in his contract! He apparently really wanted to show that he understood how he had messed up last off-season and was ready to put in the time and effort to be ready for the season this time. In fact, the Globe is reporting that the weight clauses are such that they will not be easy to meet, so it sounds like his salary will really depend on how many innings over 130 he pitches.

And last but not least:

Congratulations YOOOOUUUKKKK!

He set the AL record for consecutive errorless games at first base and was awarded with his first Gold Glove. This is what I was hoping for when Teixeira left Texas. :tup

On Borowski, I think it was a team option and Shapiro exercised it. They think he's recovered medically.

I see the point regarding Manny if it's specifically about discipline in preparing to hit--he'd be a good example for that. Like Albert Belle was. If one can rely on the other vets for the other stuff, then maybe MC would improve in Boston.

Congratulations YOOOOUUUKKKK!

He set the AL record for consecutive errorless games at first base and was awarded with his first Gold Glove. This is what I was hoping for when Teixeira left Texas. :tup

Wow, and he even played 1st base! (Still can't shake the year Palmiero got one and he played something like 13 games.) Maybe there's hope for the Gold Gloves after all. (I say this having not checked out who else won.)

I know Lester is a lefty, so that has the potential to get other GMs excited, but honestly I'm not sure he's all that attractive. His K/BB ratio is very mediocre, as is his WHIP. He was good enough in Game 4 though, so maybe that adds value. But were it not for the "human interest story" I'm not sure people would even know about him, given his record so far. He is young though, so there's still plenty of time to turn it around.

Miguel is scary good. #1 comp thru his age is Hank Aaron, and at 950 it's a very close match. Of course those projections don't always pan out (hello Juan Gonzalez), and flabbiness could easily lead to knee & back problems down the line. But being so young he can probably get away with being out of shape for the next few years. I would hope for the Marlins' sake they don't take a grab bag of lower level prospects for him and instead demand some quality players for him. Put that guy in a more hitter friendly park and he could really start doing some damage.

Congrats on resigning Schilling too. I think it's important to keep the folk hero from '04 around as he likely will be more than merely useful, and it's worth a shot for both parties to see if he can still do it. Besides, it spares us of who knows what kind of weird conflicts he would have gotten in with LaRussa. :lol:

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to exercise. Would you believe I got myself a 2 million weight clause too? Okay I lied, I'm on the drop 12 & give yourself a Mosaic plan.

A lot of Cabrera's problems will go away playing for real fans(You of all People Dan, know what a joke baseball is down there!) and for a competive team. But, like I said about trading for Santana, you guys are going to have to give up more than the 2nd or 3rd best starter in your organization. Remember who you had to give up to get Beckett from the very same team.

A lot of Cabrera's problems will go away playing for real fans(You of all People Dan, know what a joke baseball is down there!) and for a competive team. But, like I said about trading for Santana, you guys are going to have to give up more than the 2nd or 3rd best starter in your organization. Remember who you had to give up to get Beckett from the very same team.

Yeah, but this was more of a salary dump since we had to take Lowell to get it done. I think Lester is definitely the number two starter behind Buchholz, and that is mainly because of Buchholz no-hitter. I know I said that Clay has a higher ceiling but I am not at all sure that the best of Jon Lester has really been seen. He had a mid-90s fastball coming up, but that's never been seen in his time in the majors. That and a little more command/confidence in his stuff, and I think Lester could definitely be a solid second starter or excellent number three.

Yeah, but this was more of a salary dump since we had to take Lowell to get it done. I think Lester is definitely the number two starter behind Buchholz, and that is mainly because of Buchholz no-hitter. I know I said that Clay has a higher ceiling but I am not at all sure that the best of Jon Lester has really been seen. He had a mid-90s fastball coming up, but that's never been seen in his time in the majors. That and a little more command/confidence in his stuff, and I think Lester could definitely be a solid second starter or excellent number three.

Well Lester did have great stuff in AA before the chemo. And as an M's fan who could never figure out why management didn't chalk up Guillen's underperformance to the fact he had fookin' TB I can appreciate how it'd take some time to recover (never mind he's young.) But c'mon, you can love Buchholz's stuff, but who gives a crap about a no-hitter. Francisco Cordova, Bud Smith, Anibal Sanchez & Jose Jimenez all threw no-hitters too. Hell, I threw one when I was 12. Big deal. If only I was a lefty, I could buy & sell all you chumps. (Wink!)

I'm with Bear (can I call you Bear? ;)), I think you Red Sox fans expect to get something big for something less, and it's not gonna happen. (Pardon the tone, I've been drinking trying to kill off flu-like cooties.)

Wait a sec - flu like cooties, yet you've also been exercising on the drop 12 get a Mosaic plan?

I think I see your problem.

:g

The bottom line here is that I am offering top level prospects, and more of them, to avoid giving up the very best prospects in the system. I'm not offering Florida a rip-off deal, I am compensating for the fact that our best are off the table. No one should sneeze at any of the prospects I listed (Lester, Masterson, Hansen, Bowden) because they are all upper-level, close to or near-established Major League talent (in the case of Lester). Hansen is the only who has failed in the Show, and he's still only 23 and showed flashes of the nasty slider last year.

Some good stuff on Baseballl Musings.

6 man rotation being considered in Boston. Interesting idea given the mix of young pitchers whose innings could be limited along with the old man.

Yankee speculation about Miguel. Boston ideas about Miguel (the author would trade Ellsbury and Lester for him.)

The Yankees are going to offer ARod arbitration. Very savvy. If they don't resign him the get draft picks, if they do then they get ARod.

Some good stuff on Baseballl Musings.

6 man rotation being considered in Boston. Interesting idea given the mix of young pitchers whose innings could be limited along with the old man.

I was thinking about the way it would help Schilling and Dice, I hadn't even considered the way it would reduce the strain on the Lester and Buchholz. I hope Theo, Tito and Farrell give this one a lot of thought.

The Yankees are going to offer ARod arbitration. Very savvy. If they don't resign him the get draft picks, if they do then they get ARod.

I don't see why you are surprised or call this "savvy". There was never a doubt that arbitration would be offered once A-Rod opted out. Its the only way to get the draft pick compensation on a Type A free agent. The only way A-Rod accepts is if he decides to fire Boras, and then throw himself on the ground in front of the Steinbrenners, sobbing "mea culpa, I'll play for a year to prove how much I really do want to be a Yankee!"