2007 Hot Stove League Thread

R.I.P. Johnny Podres

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_updat...dies_at_75.html

Four decades later, he was manager Jim Fregosi's pitching coach when the 1993 Phillies won their unlikely NL pennant. His ace was Schilling, who had come to Philadelphia the year before as reliever uncertain of both his stuff and his future.

Schilling, who became an ardent disciple of Mr. Podres and his low-key but hyper-positive style, loved to tell the story of how that transformation began during their first meeting.

"I was coming from a bad situation in Houston," Schilling recalled in a 1995 interview. "The stadium was empty that day, and it was raining as we walked down to the bullpen. He asked to see my fastball, so I showed him a two-seamer, which is what I threw then."

"What the hell was that?" Podres barked.

"A fastball," Schilling said.

"That ain't no [expletive] fastball. That's a [expletive] sinker," replied the pitching coach, spitting out the final word.

Podres lunged for the ball, grabbed it across four seams, displayed the grip to Schilling, and handed the ball back. What followed was a fastball - and a career - that rose.

"Now that," said Podres, pacing, puffing, pleased, "is a [expletive] big-league fastball."

Yesterday, Schilling noted Mr. Podres' passing on his blog, 38 Pitches.

"Outside of the Lord, my wife and my father, there was no person who impacted my life more than Johnny Podres," Schilling, now a staple with the world-champion Boston Red Sox, wrote. "He asked everything of me and always got everything I had. He made me realize the only limits in my life were self-imposed."

J.H., I love that story on his "fastball"!!!! :tup

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, it looks as though, pending the requisite enormous contract extension, the METS are the winners of the Santana sweepstakes. I find it very interesting that the Twins ultimately settled on what is widely considered to be a weaker offer than what the Red Sox had on the table (maybe they withdrew Lester or Jacoby?). It really seems that the Mets prospects aren't nearly as close to being major league ready and there are even questions about the long-range potential of the centerpiece outfielder.

So this looks to me like a great deal for the Mets, and absolutely necessary for the franchise, when you consider that Pedro (signed for only one more year and entering his first full season after surgery) and El Duque (104 years old) headlined the rotation. Plus of course their GM loves to make a splash and hadn't done anything to fix the team after their epic collapse.

but the bottom line is this:

The Yankees can't throw their money around next November to get Santana without giving up any young talent, and that is great news. The Yankees and their fans think they have great young pitching. The Red Sox and their fans think the same thing about their prospects. Let's get ready to RRRRRUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMBBBBBBBBBBLLLLLLLLLLEEE!

The best thing the Sox have going for them though is Beckett and Dice-K. I think the Yankees would do well if two of their three "can't miss" guys turn out to perform at that level - but the Sox already have those guys, they are signed for several years to come, and they are in their prime. The only way I see the Yankees beating out the Sox with their pitchers is if Beckett or Dice-K go down with injuries or walk when their contracts are up, and that will happen only if Buchholz and Lester (and Masterson and Bowden) end up not living up to the hype.

Can't wait for Pitchers and Catchers!!!!

Yeah, its bad news for the Phils but with Lidge in the pen and the old closer back in the rotation, the Phils have made big improvements to their weakest areas. I'd still like their chances because Santana can't pitch every day. If Pedro isn't effective or breaks down, or El Duque stinks - the Mets can still have big problems. They'll be like the Sox were for most of the time they had Petey - one great, exciting pitcher went ever five days, and it was an event. But the rest of the supporting staff wasn't enough to take advantage of having the best pitcher in the game.

Mets needed him last year, he will help. I still like the Phils. Since both Bay Area teams will be door mats (at least my team the A's will be young and fun and hopefully on the up swing, Barton and Buck are going to be studs) the Phils may be my band wagon team as they are at least fun to watch.

Yeah, its bad news for the Phils but with Lidge in the pen and the old closer back in the rotation, the Phils have made big improvements to their weakest areas. I'd still like their chances because Santana can't pitch every day. If Pedro isn't effective or breaks down, or El Duque stinks - the Mets can still have big problems. They'll be like the Sox were for most of the time they had Petey - one great, exciting pitcher went ever five days, and it was an event. But the rest of the supporting staff wasn't enough to take advantage of having the best pitcher in the game.

So when the issue seemed to be guaranteeing a sixth year, he ended up with six years, plus an option/buyout on a seventh year? I'd say the Mets blinked, big time. But its not like they had a choice. I'm sure at the start he'll dominate the NL the way Clemens/Pedro did, but that's a long time and a lot of money for a pitcher. And they still need a big performance from at least one other pitcher before they'll be a dominant team.

I guess the best I should hope for is for Phil Hughes to have some growing pains while Santana completely dominates - then you'll see some mortar shells lobbed from Lil' Boss at Cashman.

Well, there's big news out of Boston today. I presumed that Schilling was dedicating himself to both improving his fitness (to make those "weigh in" clauses) plus doing his shoulder exercises to ensure that he'd have a decent final season.

Turns out he's got far more significant shoulder woes than he had last season, may be lost for the season, and the Red Sox looked into cancelling his contract.

It certainly hurts from a depth perspective, but in a way, this actually is sort of pleasing:

Number one, we get Clay Buchholz in the rotation from day one. I can't wait to see how he does after tossing the no-hitter in his second start of the year.

Number two, as impressed as I was with the results Clemens got with his diminished velocity but expanded repertoire, I lived on pins and needles everytime I watched him. There was a perpetual fear that if he missed his spot, he could give up a tape-measure shot at any moment.

So it may hurt to have lost a front line starter, but on the other hand, that could leave Julian Tavarez as the number six starter - he wasn't entirely awful last year in that role, so maybe they hold onto him in the spring as an insurance policy. That will give Justin Masterson a little more time before he gets called up if there is an injury or a string of bad starts by Lester or Wake.

Well, there's big news out of Boston today. I presumed that Schilling was dedicating himself to both improving his fitness (to make those "weigh in" clauses) plus doing his shoulder exercises to ensure that he'd have a decent final season.

Turns out he's got far more significant shoulder woes than he had last season, may be lost for the season, and the Red Sox looked into cancelling his contract.

Number two, as impressed as I was with the results Clemens got with his diminished velocity but expanded repertoire, I lived on pins and needles everytime I watched him. There was a perpetual fear that if he missed his spot, he could give up a tape-measure shot at any moment.

Er...I think that you meant Schilling there. You've been typing "Clemens" so often lately that I think it just slipped out accidentally. :rsmile:

It certainly hurts from a depth perspective, but in a way, this actually is sort of pleasing:

Number one, we get Clay Buchholz in the rotation from day one. I can't wait to see how he does after tossing the no-hitter in his second start of the year.

So it may hurt to have lost a front line starter, but on the other hand, that could leave Julian Tavarez as the number six starter - he wasn't entirely awful last year in that role, so maybe they hold onto him in the spring as an insurance policy. That will give Justin Masterson a little more time before he gets called up if there is an injury or a string of bad starts by Lester or Wake.

WOW, this is NOT GOOD at ALL !!!!......How could his arm be injured ? he hasnt pitched since Oct. , they had to give him a physical.

Don't you think they would have pursued Santana even more if they knew this ?....like throw in the guys they wanted .

I just don't think Bucholz is ready for prime time , there was even talk in Boston that he would start the season in Pawtucket.

Edited by zen archer

Buchholz was going to start in Pawtucket because they were more likely to give the last spot to Lester. Otherwise it would have been Lester in Pawtucket if he looked bad in the spring and Buchholz looked great.

I can't understand why you think he isn't ready for prime time, but the loss of depth in the rotation is a greater concern because of the likelihood of innings limitations on Lester and especially Buchholz. I think they wanted to use six starters at different times - by resting some pitchers like Beckett and Schilling (because they saw how much fresher they were at the end of the season after missing time during the year). That's where the loss of depth hurts. Masterson won't be ready to help before mid-season at the earliest. Unless they make a trade, it looks like Tavarez is the sixth guy, and he probably gets more starts than you realistically want to give him. At least he'll make up for it by being entertaining while he plays (bowling the ball to first base, trying an unassisted pickoff at second).

But I totally disagree about going after Santana because of this. They didn't want to give up their best young players since Nomar to get Santana, then have to commit so many dollars for so many years. We've got the youngsters, they may just have to perform sooner. Like I said, I'd rather watch Buchholz than Clemens. A Clemens start could turn on a dime at anytime. As far as when his injury happened, he had a physical before the deal was announced. He must have hurt himself at some point when he started his off-season throwing program. Its not unheard of - the Angels are already possibly missing one of their best starters, out with a sore shoulder.

Edited by Dan Gould

Buchholz was going to start in Pawtucket because they were more likely to give the last spot to Lester. Otherwise it would have been Lester in Pawtucket if he looked bad in the spring and Buchholz looked great.

I can't understand why you think he isn't ready for prime time, but the loss of depth in the rotation is a greater concern because of the likelihood of innings limitations on Lester and especially Buchholz. I think they wanted to use six starters at different times - by resting some pitchers like Beckett and Schilling (because they saw how much fresher they were at the end of the season after missing time during the year). That's where the loss of depth hurts. Masterson won't be ready to help before mid-season at the earliest. Unless they make a trade, it looks like Tavarez is the sixth guy, and he probably gets more starts than you realistically want to give him. At least he'll make up for it by being entertaining while he plays (bowling the ball to first base, trying an unassisted pickoff at second).

But I totally disagree about going after Santana because of this. They didn't want to give up their best young players since Nomar to get Santana, then have to commit so many dollars for so many years. We've got the youngsters, they may just have to perform sooner. Like I said, I'd rather watch Buchholz than Clemens. A Clemens start could turn on a dime at anytime. As far as when his injury happened, he had a physical before the deal was announced. He must have hurt himself at some point when he started his off-season throwing program. Its not unheard of - the Angels are already possibly missing one of their best starters, out with a sore shoulder.

Ok, that's twice you've called Schilling Clemens, did you lose a bet at work(superbowl?) and now have to insert Clemen's name every time Schilling's name comes up? ^_^

Well, the Herald broke the story originally but it looks like the Globe has nailed it down. The latest on SCHILLING (I'm going to keep typing it that way to make sure I don't make any more embarrassing mistakes :g ) is that, as per a new provision in the Player's Agreement, a third doctor, independent from the player and the team, is consulted when a course of treatment is in dispute. Apparently SCHILLING has a "partial tear" in his rotator cuff, and the independent doctor felt that the correct course of action is rest and rehab, just like the approach they took with Pedro. Its expected that SCHILLING would not pitch before the All-Star Break under this treatment plan.

Sounds good to me, if he can contribute, great; plus his arm will be relatively fresh if the rehab works and he only pitches half the season, when the playoffs come around. If he regains his health, that's a nice near-the-trade-deadline pickup.

Well, the Globe may have gotten the latest news right, but the Herald scooped them because Schilling gave his doctor (the one who recommended surgery) permission to talk to them about his situation:

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basebal...ticleid=1071967

What is probably most disconcerting is this:

In mid-December, the 41-year-old Schilling felt pain in the front of his right shoulder. A month later, Schilling called Dr. Craig Morgan to inform the man who performed two ground-breaking shoulder surgeries on the pitcher that he had “screaming pain” in that same spot.

Today, the Red Sox [team stats] hurler can’t throw a baseball, and has pain simply shaking hands or opening a door.

In addition to Tavarez, the Sox also have Kyle Snyder as a potential fill-in starter, and there is talk about using Coco as a bargaining chip to get another pitcher, though I have doubts that Coco would bring anyone decent, or better than those internal options. The Sox re-signed Bobby Kielty which made people suggest that now Coco is expendable, but the reality probably is that Kielty was resigned specifically so that Coco could be shopped for pitching help, because they knew last week about Schilling's problems.

Interesting rundown by Dayn Perry of teams with potential to surprise in 2008

Note to Al:

He lists the Rangers as having that potential!

Yeah, well.... the Rangers have ALWAYS had potential. This year will be no different.

But hey, they've re-signed Nolan Ryan! Whoopee! Can you say "desperation move?" He's allegedly going to be having a lot of hands-on activities on the field as well as off. We'll see if Hicks ego allows for someone else to make moves without his permission.

I bet he doesn't last around here longer than a couple years before he realizes the losing mentality of the Rangers "organization" will never be overcome as long as Hicks, Daniels, and Washington are running the show. Yes, I think this signing was just an act to try and give fans some glimmer of hope without ever defining where that hope is supposed to come from.

In other words, meet the new boss, same as the old boss. Rangers will finish dead last this year. Again. Mark my words.

• 2 weeks later...