GRAM PARSONS ARCHIVES VOL. 1

Chalupa

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

August 16, 2007

TWO-CD, HIGH FIDELITY LIVE SET ‘GRAM PARSONS ARCHIVES VOL. 1: THE FLYING BURRITO BROTHERS “LIVE” AT THE AVALON 1969’ OUT OCTOBER 30th ON AMOEBA RECORDS

MATERIAL FROM 1969 FOUND IN GRATEFUL DEAD VAULTS; FEATURES TEN SONGS NEVER RECORDED BY PARSONS AND NEVER BEFORE AVAILABLE

Amoeba Records will release a major addition to Gram Parsons' discography with ‘Gram Parsons Archives Vol. 1: The Flying Burrito Brothers “Live” at the Avalon 1969’, due October 30th from the newly formed label. The two CD, 27-track set includes a number of never-before-heard -- though long rumored -- rarities.

Gram Parsons, leading the Flying Burrito Brothers, opened for the Grateful Dead April 4, 5 and 6, 1969 at the Avalon Ballroom in San Francisco. The April 4th show has never been heard in any form. The bonus disc is the April 6th show. For years these tapes were rumored to exist and were finally unearthed in the Grateful Dead vault. The shows were recorded by the legendary sound engineer Bear (Owsley Stanley), and are the highest quality Gram Parsons live material available.

Amoeba Records, started by the owners of the revered independent record store of the same name, is launching with the August 28 release of smoky-voiced singer and songwriter Brandi Shearer’s ‘Close to Dark.’ The album is co-produced by Larry Klein, known for his work with Joni Mitchell and Madeleine Peyroux, among others.

Rarities on ‘Gram Parsons Archives Vol. 1: The Flying Burrito Brothers “Live” at the Avalon 1969’ include Gram’s unique choice of mainly country standards, which are not on any other official Gram Parsons recording:

Undo The Right/Somebody’s Back In Town She Once Lived Here Mental Revenge We’ve Got To Get Ourselves Together Lucille You Win Again Long Black Limousine Sweet Dream Baby When Will I Be Loved

Gram Parsons Archive Volume 1

Track Listing:

4/4 Disc 1

1. Close Up the Honky Tonks

2. Dark End of the Street

3. Undo The Right/Somebody’s Back In Town

4. She Once Lived Here

5. We've Got to Get Ourselves Together

6. Lucille

7. Hot Burrito #1

8. Hot Burrito #2

9. Long Black Limousine

10. Mental Revenge

11. Sin City

12. Thousand Dollar Wedding

13. When Will I Be Loved

Bonus Disk:

4/6 Disc 2

1. Undo The Right/Somebody’s Back In Town

2. She Once Lived Here

3. Sweet Mental Revenge

4. We've Got to Get Ourselves Together

5. Lucille

6. Sin City

7. You Win Again

8. Hot Burrito #1

9. Hot Burrito #2

10. You're Still On My Mind

11. Train Song

12. Long Black Limousine

13. Sweet Dream Baby

14. Do Right Woman

http://www.amoeba.com/content/gram-press.html

Edited by J.H. Deeley

This is interesting, I think I have a bootleg of dics 1 of this on a cassette that was made for me by the husband of an employee of AMOEBA who mentioned it when I was talking to her about Gram while paying for other Gram related stuff, this was maybe ten years ago???

I forgot to add that I have a cdr of this show too. It has two songs that didn't make the cut. The sound is atrocious on my copy so I will be looking forward to the upgrade even if it is missing two tunes.

Edited by J.H. Deeley

I've never heard anything live by Parsons (Byrds, Burritos, or solo), and don't know what his reputation as a live performer was. Any insights would be appreciated. I'm more of an "admirer" than a fan (I never forgave him for derailing the Byrds from the space-rock/jazz direction McGuinn meant to take the Byrds in when he hired Parsons, but am really glad he introduced us all to Emmylou Harris), but am something of a late 60's rock semi-completist. Do you learn a lot more about Parsons hearing him live (like you do with Springsteen, the Dead, etc.) or is it really close to the studio stuff?

Do you learn a lot more about Parsons hearing him live (like you do with Springsteen, the Dead, etc.) or is it really close to the studio stuff?

No, pretty close to the studio versions IIRC.

Still, a bunch of previously unrecorded tunes makes this intriguing.

FACTS:

* Sweetheart of the Rodeo mostly sucks, or is, rather, relentlessly mediocre compared to the best country or ANY prior Byrds or Gene Clark records.

And was further ripped off itself by Palace, which I find extremely ironic...

Not being an expert in the field, I still dig all prior Byrds records and I keep a nice mono copy around for occasional dusting off (i.e., when trying to impress an Austin lady and the Marzette Watts LPs just won't do)...

FACTS:

* Sweetheart of the Rodeo mostly sucks, or is, rather, relentlessly mediocre compared to the best country or ANY prior Byrds or Gene Clark records.

* first Burritos is quite good but Gram covering Bee Gees or James Carr is fucking horrible.

* actually, Gram covering most songs... pretty much blows but...

* he did write some good ones, & he rescued a few others from hillbilly obscurity.

* on the other hand, he also foisted Emmylou, the anodyne spirit of folkie-fake-billy on a world-- uh, thanks, bro'.

* Michael Nesmith > Gram Parsons, Gene Clark > Gram Parsons, etc etc

* Gram live = who gives a shit? ya'll learn nothing.

* Grams greatness is real but it's a very small body of work-- hey, he died young, OK but the music doesn't match the mythos unless ya'll never heard, say, Johnny Darnell's version of "Sweet Mental Revenge" & don't even know who Mel Tillis is.

Clem, while I agree with most of what you are saying here, they all quailify as OPINIONS: rather than FACTS:. I know you are the voice of the people and speak the TRUTH, but in the postmodern sense, it's a subjective TRUTH, and other listeners will have different TRUTHs. On live Springsteen, you don't get him, which is OK. But no, he's not overwrought, he's incredible. I could write books on what I learn from him live. I don't get Prince, and don't get whoever you consider the top rap/hip-hop artists, but I don't think that negates the legitimacy of either my opinions or those artists. They aren't speaking to me. Springsteen isn't speaking to you. It's OK, it's a big world with room for plenty of voices.

FACTS:

* first Burritos is quite good but Gram covering Bee Gees or James Carr is fucking horrible.

* actually, Gram covering most songs... pretty much blows but...

* he did write some good ones, & he rescued a few others from hillbilly obscurity.

* on the other hand, he also foisted Emmylou, the anodyne spirit of folkie-fake-billy on a world-- uh, thanks, bro'.

* Michael Nesmith > Gram Parsons, Gene Clark > Gram Parsons, etc etc

* Gram live = who gives a shit? ya'll learn nothing.

* Grams greatness is real but it's a very small body of work-- hey, he died young, OK but the music doesn't match the mythos unless ya'll never heard, say, Johnny Darnell's version of "Sweet Mental Revenge" & don't even know who Mel Tillis is.

Have to say I love the Burritos version of BeeGees "To Love Somebody" and Like a lot of Sweethearts including "Hickory Wind" - that's a great tune.

The curious in me might even buy this, but I agree with Clem - the Gram cult thing is pretty daft.

I like both studio albums, but I know a bunch of people - and work with a few - who think he's the bees knees.

Yet the those folks have never listened to, say, Merle Haggard - a far superior artist (IMO) with a much, much deeper oevre. And his Capitol sides even have Burton and Hardin, like Gram's LPs

IMHO it's the Rolling Stones influence.

The same folkses who think Gram is so fucking cool also think Robert Johnson is ultra cool, but have never checked out Charley Patton.

FWIW, I reckon the best Burrito album is the third - when Gram had split. A genuine country rock sound.

Sweertheart Of The Rodeo? Blech! :party:

And overall, I'm a Gene Clark fan through and through.

It's a truism of pop culture good and bad: Because succeeding generations are always coming along, it's possible to keep of schilling the same old stuff over and over. Nothin' wrong with that, per se. But let's not pretend it's all cutting edge. And checking out the roots can even enhance the pleasure of listening to contemporary stars.

How many Stringbean fans have ever chekced out Woody Guthrie, Pete Seeger or Gary US Bonds?

Merle Haggard > Gram Parsons

Neil Young > Nirvana

Led Zeppling > Wolfmother

Frank Sinatra/ Dean Martin/etc > Bubble Boy

AC/DC > Jet

Tim Buckley > Jeff Buckley

GD > Phish

And on and on.

Truth is, Gram was a follower not a leader. And if it wasn't for the Kieth Richards connection he'd be very obscure indeed.

Edited by kenny weir

Merle Haggard > Gram Parsons

Neil Young > Nirvana

Led Zeppling > Wolfmother

Frank Sinatra/ Dean Martin/etc > Bubble Boy

AC/DC > Jet

Tim Buckley > Jeff Buckley

Phish - GD

And on and on.

Truth is, Gram was a follower not a leader. And if it wasn't for the Kieth Richards connection he'd be very obscure indeed.

Wow. Now we've all been told. No need to explore any further!

I enjoy Parsons' work, including The Byrds' Sweetheart of the Rodeo, though I think his contributions are a good deal overblown. As far as Prince and Springsteen, you can have them, I don't find anything appealing there and don't care to hear any more of their work. If you really want to get worked up, I don't own a single album by the Beatles or the Stones. They just don't appeal to my ears. My choice, not a sermon to anyone. Give me Zappa instead, though he wrote his share of dud songs.

Gene Clark was often a good composer and decent singer, but he couldn't beat the bottle. His "Hula Bula Man," which was aired on the BBC Rock hour featuring separate sets by Clark, Hillman and McGuinn, plus a three song reunion, has to be one of his worst songs ever, along with "Home Run King," (from a solo album, possibly Firebyrd?) with the dumb line "You're either just the newspaper boy/Or you're either Babe Ruth."

Gene Clark was often a good composer and decent singer, but he couldn't beat the bottle.

Ken, I know Clark was a troubled soul and had, IIRC, a fear of flying. But I've never heard/read about a booze problem. Can you provide any links - I'm interested.

I think his A&M album (often called White Light) is a classic, and I'll soon pick up the new reissue of the Gosdin Bros album, too.

I saw a London gig by that Hillman/McGuinn/Clark lineup, but memories of it are extremely hazy. I was prolly eight miles high - and drunk - at the time.

Edited by kenny weir

Gram Parsons is overrated, but he died young, and accomplished what so many want to do; drop out of Harvard, do a bunch of drugs, and have a pretty little brunette singer mother you. And Joshua Tree is a lovely place to camp, hike or die.

Gene Clark is also massively overrated because he's always talked about as being underrated. Sure he's good, but shit, you'd think invented fucking notes or something.

Sweetheart of the Rodeo used to be massively overrated, but now it's almost criminally underrated because it's so stylish to slag on it. You'd think it was worse than fucking Byrdmaniax from the way people carry on now. It's not!

In 1970 there was 35 cent (or so) Scholastic book targeted to 2nd & 3rd graders about how underrated the Byrds were, and how they influenced the Beatles. This just goes on & on & on & on, for 35+ years. Wheeeeeeeeee!

Road Rash > Mudhoney > Dog Poo On My Shoe

A Drunken Sheep With Gas > Jeff Buckley

Andy Gibb > Captain & Tennille > Phish lyrics

A Ball-peen Hammer To The Head > Helen Reddy

Sweetheart of the Rodeo was first my exposure to the Byrds, so i'll never slag this album, anyway i like it on it's own, no matter my emotional bound towards it.

As far as Parsons goes, of course the fact that he died young makes him cooler than he should be. And a little bit like Buckley, whatever new recording of him they dig up is hyped like it was the discovery of the Holy Grail, which it isn't. If you're looking a revolution or the greatest music you've heard all year you'll probably end up saying that it sucks. However he still remains an interesting artist of that era and i'm looking for to find and listen to his stuff

And a little bit like Buckley, whatever new recording of him they dig up is hyped like it was the discovery of the Holy Grail, which it isn't. If you're looking a revolution or the greatest music you've heard all year you'll probably end up saying that it sucks. However he still remains an interesting artist of that era and i'm looking for to find and listen to his stuff

I did not mean to denigrate any of the artists I mentioned, including Buckley.

But I am bemused by the number of people I know who are besotted with him yet have never bothered to check out his dad. And have no intention of doing so. If I was a Jeff fan I'd go mad - stark raving bonkers - if I was prevented in some way from checking out such an obvious link.

They still enjoy his music I'm sure, but ... checking out dad might even enhance that pleasure.

It's like walking along a beach and looking at rocks. The likes of us who post here are always always gonna flip those rocks over to see what's under 'em. For us that's often where the REAL interesting stuff is, and we can't help ourselves anyhow.

Edited by kenny weir

Who the hell is comparing Neil Young with Nirvana?

I'm sorry, but that's a pretty wack comparison.

Ha ha - that'd be me.

Fair enuf. I dislike Nirvana and am indifferent to Young, so am no expert or nuthin'.

Just making a point.

Yr point being... what?

It's like my friend who said once that the Jesus Lizard are no Arthur Doyle. I was like whuh?