Introducing Duke Pearson's Big Band BLP-4276 question

Big Al

Not a dedicated mono. The album was originally released in stereo.

All the BN sessions were released in mono during Alfred Lion's tenure which lasted until mid-1967.

When the company was sold to United Artists/Liberty, the new owners abandoned mono.

The new albums were recorded in stereo from then on!

Well then, this is a pretty good fold-down! :)

I forgot to mention that this is a promo LP, with the white MONO sticker pasted over the STEREO on the jacket. The rest of the jacket says "BST" inside and outside.

The unusual thing is the record label itself: the old blue & white scheme, with a catalog number of BLP-4276. Hadn't Blue Note started using the Liberty-style label, black with a light-blue stripe on the left-hand side? Strange!

Edited by Big Al

Well then, this is a pretty good fold-down! :)

I forgot to mention that this is a promo LP, with the white MONO sticker pasted over the STEREO on the jacket. The rest of the jacket says "BST" inside and outside.

The unusual thing is the record label itself: the old blue & white scheme, with a catalog number of BLP-4276. Hadn't Blue Note started using the Liberty-style label, black with a light-blue stripe on the left-hand side? Strange!

My Liberty (stereo I think) of this one is in the blue/white label scheme. Black with light blue stripe came in the early 70s I believe - a year or two later. Those can sound pretty good too !

Get hold of the 'Now Hear This!' LP on the original Liberty if you like this one. Equally good.

One of those promos I think - intended for radio station use. Quite rare I believe.

And I paid only fifty cents for it!!!! I'm just giggling with excitement about this! I NEVER stumble over anything this rare! :excited:

One of those promos I think - intended for radio station use. Quite rare I believe.

And I paid only fifty cents for it!!!! I'm just giggling with excitement about this! I NEVER stumble over anything this rare! :excited:

I have only the regular stereo original with the regular BN blue and white Liberty label :mellow:

May it spontaneously combust in your hands ! :g

My stereo copy turned up in a London store - brand spanking mint after being sat in some store-room in the mid-West for 30-odd years. Uncovered by the store owned on a Stateside shopping trip and sold to me for not much at all. I picked up 'Sweet Honey Bee' at the same store in similar condition.

Edited by sidewinder

• 2 months later...

This is an old thread, I guess, but thought I'd throw in some notes:

I have some late BLP Liberty monos. They're kind of fun to collect because they're affordable and still a bit rare.

I think that Grant Green's BLP 4253 is the first mono that exists only as Liberty pressing (has no New York, USA label counterpart), so that's where I started my collecting for this series.

The last-ish ones that I have are:

BLP4273 Hank Mobley Hi Voltage

BLP4274 Tyrone Washington Natural Essence

BLP4277 Horace Silver Serenade to a Soul Sister

I have never seen a mono pressing beyond 4277, but I guess that website suggests there are...my quest continues!

On my copies, the pressings are typical lame Liberty (less vinyl mass, poorer print quality on the labels) but the mixes are still good, especially if they are Van Gelder.