Video explains the world's most important 6-sec drum loop

rostasi

I first heard this beat in 1964 or 5 in Boston. A guy named Hershel Dwellingham III from Bogoloosa, Louisiana, is credited with bringing it to Boston. I believe he called it the Fatback. Nobody in Boston had heard it until that time. Hershel used to hold court with drummers standing around him in awe :), watching and learning the Fatback.

He did it a hell of a lot cleaner and clearer than any samples on the recording/link, BTW, seriously.

Edited by MoGrubb

I first heard this beat in 1964 or 5 in Boston. A guy named Hershel Dwellingham III from Bogoloosa, Louisiana, is credited with bringing it to Boston. I believe he called it the Fatback. Nobody in Boston had heard it until that time. Hershel used to hold court with drummers standing around him in awe :), watching and learning the Fatback.

He did it a hell of a lot cleaner and clearer than any samples on the recording/link, BTW, seriously.

The same guy who's on Weather Report's Sweetnighter?

I can believe it.

The same guy who's on Weather Report's Sweetnighter?

I can believe it.

Yes, that's our little Herschel, they grow up so fast.... I reckon it could be his son. Herschel was definitely a III, according to his moniker in Boston. He wrote a tune called Alma for his lady, he probably married her, I don't know. He was quite charismatic, never forget him.

Edited by MoGrubb

This is the first that I've mentioned it, on any forum/board. I'd be interested to read about what was said on the Steve Hoffman forum, if somebody would be so kind as to provide a link.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMHO, those are some pretty weak fatback examples on the YouTube link. I'm not referring to the particular skill levels of the players, rather the concept(s). Herschel did it as good as I've heard. A few years back the Temptations had a player that could do it good.

Edited by MoGrubb

• 4 weeks later...

Cool video. I knew nothing about the "Amen Break." When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was going to be about Clyde Stubblefield's "Funky Drummer" beat on James Brown's In the Jungle Groove. From what I understand, that's also a very frequently sampled beat. Anybody know of some examples of that?

BTW: I was going to make a snarky comment about how the whole thing sounds so "dated" but I didn't want that can of worms to get opened up again! ;)

• 1 month later...

HEY I'M HERSCHEL DWELLINGHAM SR. I WAS NEVER A III, I'M THE DRUMMER IN BOSTON 1963 TO 1973.I MOVE TO NEW

YORK CITY IN 1973 AFTER THE WEATHER REPORT ALBUM SWEETNIGHTERS. I BECAME A SESSION PLAYER IN NEW YORK

AND PLAYED ON 75 GOLD, AND 8 PLATUM HITS, ONE BEING " CATS IN THE CRADEL " BY HARRY CHAPLIN AND A LOT OF

DANCE HIT OF THE 70'S. NOW I'M BACK IN BOGALUSA, LA. I HAVE A RECORD COMPANY NAME BOGUE MAGIC CITY RECORDS. E-MAIL BOGUE_2@JUNO.COM / http:www.myspace.com/bogue920 . THANK FOR ALL THE GREAT THINGS YOU

SAID ABOUT ME. HERSCHEY

post-10637-1199319082_thumb.jpg

post-10637-1199319105_thumb.jpg

HEY I'M HERSCHEL DWELLINGHAM SR. I WAS NEVER A III, I'M THE DRUMMER IN BOSTON 1963 TO 1973.I MOVE TO NEW

YORK CITY IN 1973 AFTER THE WEATHER REPORT ALBUM SWEETNIGHTERS. I BECAME A SESSION PLAYER IN NEW YORK

AND PLAYED ON 75 GOLD, AND 8 PLATUM HITS, ONE BEING " CATS IN THE CRADEL " BY HARRY CHAPLIN AND A LOT OF

DANCE HIT OF THE 70'S. NOW I'M BACK IN BOGALUSA, LA. I HAVE A RECORD COMPANY NAME BOGUE MAGIC CITY RECORDS. E-MAIL BOGUE_2@JUNO.COM / http:www.myspace.com/bogue920 . THANK FOR ALL THE GREAT THINGS YOU

SAID ABOUT ME. HERSCHEY

Fucking A!! Hey Herschel! I'm Maurice Grubb, bari player with Danny Wright's group. Man, glad you're around. I could've sworn that I saw III associated with your name somewhere. My mistake.

• 2 weeks later...