British jazz reissues

RogerF

Being released (by BGO) for the first time but this thread  seems like a good place to post it.[Corrected] Reissue, see below

Neil Ardley's New Jazz Orchestra Camden 1970. Personnel includes Henry Lowther and Harry Beckett on trumpet, Mike Gibbs on trombone, Dick Heckstall-Smith on tenor and soprano sax, Barbara Thompson on alto and flute, Frank Jellett on vibes, and Dave Greenslade on Hammond and electric piano.

ardley_neil_camden70~_101b.jpg

Edited by T.D.

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just saw this, which should be excellent:

https://jazzinbritain1.bandcamp.com/album/the-complete-fingers-remember-mingus

Limited edition deluxe triple compact disc album, in an 8-panel gatefold digisleeve, including a 24 page booklet with sleeve notes written by Dave Green and Alan Jackson plus contemporary reviews of the original vinyl album and concerts. Comprises an album that was previously only available on vinyl but remastered and expanded to two CDs with complete, unedited, and previously unreleased tracks, and a further bonus CD of live recordings.

2 hours ago, colinmce said:

Mine has arrived and I can confirm that it is excellent. Bruce Turner, unsurprisingly, a revelation - usually better known as a mainstream stylist but here the Tristano influence is prominent. Teams very well with Coxhill.

Edited by sidewinder

5 hours ago, colinmce said:

Downloaded the files & created the three CDrs yesterday - tremendous music; the first two discs are live recordings at Hatfield Forum (Hertfordshire Uni, no audience) from a single date (79) - the Spotlite LP "Fingers Remember Mingus" was created (edited tracks) from this session - here are the non edited versions plus alternate takes, rehearsals & dialogue. The third disc is live (with audience) & BBC broadcast recordings. The interplay between Coxhill & Turner is astounding, seeing Turner was considered "old school".

3 hours ago, Д.Д. said:

Jazz in Britain has excellent deal on annual subscription for digital versions, GBP 48 - you get all new releases and the full back catalog: Subscribe to Jazz In Britain | Jazz In Britain (bandcamp.com)   

Awesome! Now if I could only find that option on the app. Maybe I'll see it on the desktop version? If anyone has a screenshot and/or advice on how to access the annual sub via the app please share. 

28 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

Awesome! Now if I could only find that option on the app. Maybe I'll see it on the desktop version? If anyone has a screenshot and/or advice on how to access the annual sub via the app please share. 

It's usually buried under the options, i.e. do you want CD, vinyl or downloads only, and then there will be a link to subscribe.  You can also contact JiB directly, and I found them to be pretty helpful.

29 minutes ago, ejp626 said:

It's usually buried under the options, i.e. do you want CD, vinyl or downloads only, and then there will be a link to subscribe.  You can also contact JiB directly, and I found them to be pretty helpful.

Thanks! I'll see what I can find. 

Nice to hear the voices of radio announcers Charles Fox and Peter Clayton again on CD3 of the 'Fingers'. Decent CD booklet as well with interviews and rare photographs.

I think JiB gave just increased the digital subscription price to the £48 per annum level.

I remember seeing Bruce Turner on alto circa 1977 with Humphrey Lyttelton. Mike Pyne was on piano, the excellent Kathy Stobart on tenor and baritone. Good concert gig !

Edited by sidewinder

Got the latest Dutton/Vocalion email - unbelievably disappointing - looks like they've lost interest in jazz - all of those wonderful Harriott & Garrick releases are gone bar one or two - nothing new of interest for me. I picked up so much stellar British Jazz from them over the last 16 years (Harriott, D'Silva, Keane, Garrick, McNair, Kirchin, Kinsey, Skidmore, Westbrook, Gibbs, Durham, Beckett, Roza, Chisholm, Will Power, Russell, Graham, Melody Maker All Stars, Laurie Johnson, KPM Library, Jazz In Britain '68-69 & even Thad Jones) - most of this material is missing/OOP. A pity indeed.

I think Dutton Vocalion lost interest in jazz at least 10 years ago. Maybe licensing got tightened up/made more expensive through Universal (aka monopoly operation).

Like you, I picked most of those CDs up (thankfully). It really was an excellent series of releases. Now if only we could arrange things for Mosaic to be able to do big sets of Tempo, Nixa, Argo, Deram and Columbia/Lansdowne material (in my dreams !)

Edited by sidewinder

33 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

I think Dutton Vocalion lost interest in jazz at least 10 years ago. Maybe licensing got tightened up/made more expensive through Universal (aka monopoly operation).

Like you, I picked most of those CDs up (thankfully). It really was an excellent series of releases. Now if only we could arrange things for Mosaic to be able to do big sets of Tempo, Nixa, Argo, Deram and Columbia/Lansdowne material (in my dreams !)

I think this is the reason. It became irksome to license - each track individually - and UMG has very slowly been reissuing some of the British Jazz golden era material on vinyl. Some on CD and DL too. I think there may be more in the pipeline but heard nothing concrete and anyway things move at a glacial pace with these albums. However, on a slightly less downbeat note, at least three Nucleus albums have been reissue this year on CD by the French company Musea. I realise this doesn't help folk eager to have older stuff reissued but it will happen,eventually (he said, optimistically). Meanwhile ECM has reissued the wonderful Azimuth (Taylor, Winstone and Wheeler) debut album on vinyl.

Edited by Roger Farbey

6 hours ago, sidewinder said:

I've been pushing the idea of a Harriott Mosaic box for years but in the words of that great aussie movie "The Castle" - "Tell 'im 'e's dreamin"