mattel apologizes to chinese people

US toy manufacturers forced this on the American people by demanding far too many items be made at a cheap, cheaper, cheapest Chinese labor rate to make untold of millions of dollars off of the unaware buyer and their innocent children.

You are being sarcastic?

Guy

Uh.

No.

I am being obvious.

The American people were the ones who demanded inexpensive toys (and other goods)... the manufacturers complied.

Guy

Yeah, but not to get poisoned.

Of course not. I was only objecting to GoodSpeak's specific claim that Americans had inexpensive Chinese products somehow "forced upon them".

Guy

You're not a father of small children are you...figures.

Tell me, Guy....where the hell else do you go to buy children's toys but from a trusted manufacturer. One who you expect to take precautions in making sure kids aren't hurt or poisoned. Mattel [and others] wantonly abused that trust and forced upon us lead tainted Chinese toys. And all in the name of money. Filthy profit in favor of protecting kids. Force the Chinese to make toys beyond their production capabilities and reap the profit from the low wages. And your problem what that is, uh...what again?

The Chinese complied with lead paint because they had no time to check for errors or misuse. The ability to make a huge profit was at stake, or worse, Mattel [and others] would pull the business and give it to somebody else. Why would a profit making Chinese company want to destroy their own business, Guy?

I fail to see the objection here.

Mattel was more interested in making money than protecting children.

And that disgusts me to the very bottom of my Soul.

What evidence do you have to prove any of this?

Controlling a factory, especially a contract manufacturer, is not an easy thing, even when you do random inspections, as most companies do--I'm speaking from experience at my own company.

It seems highly unlikely to me that a company like Mattel, which pioneered factory inspections in its industry in order to ensure decent wages and working conditions for its workers, would try to cut corners on materials just to make a buck. But, of course, Mattel is just a big, evil corporation--no reason to give them the benefit of the doubt.

US toy manufacturers forced this on the American people by demanding far too many items be made at a cheap, cheaper, cheapest Chinese labor rate to make untold of millions of dollars off of the unaware buyer and their innocent children.

You are being sarcastic?

Guy

Uh.

No.

I am being obvious.

The American people were the ones who demanded inexpensive toys (and other goods)... the manufacturers complied.

Guy

Yeah, but not to get poisoned.

Of course not. I was only objecting to GoodSpeak's specific claim that Americans had inexpensive Chinese products somehow "forced upon them".

Guy

You're not a father of small children are you...figures.

Tell me, Guy....where the hell else do you go to buy children's toys but from a trusted manufacturer. One who you expect to take precautions in making sure kids aren't hurt or poisoned. Mattel [and others] wantonly abused that trust and forced upon us lead tainted Chinese toys. And all in the name of money. Filthy profit in favor of protecting kids. Force the Chinese to make toys beyond their production capabilities and reap the profit from the low wages. And your problem what that is, uh...what again?

The Chinese complied with lead paint because they had no time to check for errors or misuse. The ability to make a huge profit was at stake, or worse, Mattel [and others] would pull the business and give it to somebody else. Why would a profit making Chinese company want to destroy their own business, Guy?

I fail to see the objection here.

Mattel was more interested in making money than protecting children.

And that disgusts me to the very bottom of my Soul.

Controlling a factory, especially a contract manufacturer, is not an easy thing, even when you do random inspections, as most companies do--I'm speaking from experience at my own company.

It seems highly unlikely to me that a company like Mattel, which pioneered factory inspections in its industry in order to ensure decent wages and working conditions for its workers, would try to cut corners on materials just to make a buck. But, of course, Mattel is just a big, evil corporation--no reason to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Evidence?

The recall [because they were forced to, not because they chose to...big giant difference] of millions of already sold toys.

That is plenty enough proof, Vibes.

Corporate America cares only for profit....they could give a rat's ass who dies as a result.

Prove me wrong.

Edited by GoodSpeak

A few comments:

1) I have a hard time imagining how several million toys would fail to raise alarms in a situation with random inspections.

2) I don't see a reason to feel sorry for Mattel or step up to their defense. I haven't been following the story closely enough to recall the particulars, but even if they didn't know about the lead levels, they should have been aware that this kind of thing could happen.

Guy

If you can't control it, take the consequences.

Let them die for their errors.

It would happen to humans, why not corporations?

Because corporations are faceless entities hell bent for profit....not responsibility.

You are smarter than you appear. :ph34r:

Or maybe just more aware than others on this BBS.

A few comments:

1) I have a hard time imagining how several million toys would fail to raise alarms in a situation with random inspections.

2) I don't see a reason to feel sorry for Mattel or step up to their defense. I haven't been following the story closely enough to recall the particulars, but even if they didn't know about the lead levels, they should have been aware that this kind of thing could happen.

Guy

I see.

So if it "seems unlikely" then it can't possibly happen.

Interesting.

Is that how it is?

Applying your logic, Watergate never happened because it "seems unlikely."

Amazing.

Edited by GoodSpeak

I guess my point is that there would have been a much smaller demand for Chinese-produced goods at Wal-Mart if the Wal-Mart consumers had been able to see the logical long-term consequences of their Wal-Mart purchases.

Left out of this equation is how Wal-Mart demands/squeezes/extorts/whatever lower wholesale prices from its suppliers on a relentlessly & ruthlessly ongoing basis. Most suppliers simply cannot afford/do not want to not be available in Wal-Mart, so they cut them corners any way they can to give Wal-Mart what they demand.

Wal-Mart as it now exists & functions is pure, 100% evil. Believe it.

I can't speak for the situation in the US of course, but Asda (Walmart's business over here) is subject to severe competition from Tesco, Kwiksave/Somerfield, Morrisons, Iceland etc etc.

I try to imagine that there's nothing uniquely evil about Asda/Walmart that isn't also true of their competitors. Generally, I succeed.

MG

WORD to what Jim has said and all points here are on the mark in one way or another so no one can get high off being aware.

Walmart and the fact that it's strong arming has lead to the same by ToysrUs is the real reason behind all of this and more.

What I find strange is that in the reports you read no mention is made that most all of the products within the recall come from the Mattel and FP "direct LLC" division - the main supply in the Walmart food chain and if you look at the shelves that is pretty much the base of their stock - tons of crap made so cheaply just to get that screaming cart bound kid to calm down while mom loads up on some shells and camo.

That division as well as the one Hasbro had for a time are trying to get their product done as cheaply as possible from the stateside design up thru quick marketing turnarounds to sourcing at bullpen factories. (funny that you mostly saw the "Sarge" jeep from Cars in the media - and trying to get white to go opaque over dark olive drab is quite a task so getting wrung out for a penny and getting rejects from Pixar/Disney etc about how that white just ain't white enough leads factories to make some rather poor choices to save their own buck - but that toy is an odd duck as compared to all the others.)

leaded

Surprising that the worlds largest toy maker by sheer number of pieces, McDonalds, has never had any recall to this proportion.

Now as for that "magnet" problem? they just made a silly design mistake ... ya can't imbed an itty bitty rare earth magnet in the hands and feet of a 3" rubbery toy and not expect a kid to gobble 'em up.