John Surman, Quartet San Francisco

GA Russell

I wonder if with the aging of the baby boom population we will see an increase in the popularity of classical music. If so, I wonder if we will see more third stream jazz.

I have two new jazz albums which feature string quartets.

The first is by John Surman, called The Places In Between. Surman is joined by Bassist Chris Laurence and a string quartet (two violins, viola and cello) called Trans4mation.

Trans4mation's sound is lush and smooth. The album was recorded in an Austrian monastery, so perhaps the acoustics there has something to do with it. The strings provide the body of the music, with Surman floating on top of them. I note that the CD Universe blurb refers to the music as "chamber jazz". There are 11 tracks totaling 60 minutes.

It's all very relaxing, and maybe hummable after repeated listenings. A great gift for someone who likes classical music.

4 1/2 stars

Last year Quartet San Francisco's album Latigo was nominated for two Grammy's in the Classical Crossover category, including Best Album.

Their new album is called Whirled Chamber Music. This quartet too is made up of two violins, viola and cello, but its sound is much more earthy than Trans4mation's.

There are 18 songs on the album, 7 by Raymond Scott. I didn't know till now that Scott did not compose music for cartoons. Rather, Warner Bros. used his music for their cartoons after the fact. The other 11 songs are standards, if you stretch that concept to include songs by The Average White Band and Tower of Power, as well as Duke Ellington, Earle Hagen and Leonard Bernstein.

On The Places In Between the improvisation comes from Surman. I don't get a sense of jazz from Trans4mation. On Whirled Chamber Music the jazz comes from not only the improvisation but also the Django Reinhart feel of the performances.

The Surman album is more serious, the Quartet San Francisco album more fun. Quartet San Francisco is a group I would like to see in a club while having a drink. The Surman with Trans4mation effort would be better suited for a concert hall. Both are winners.

4 stars

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i love surman's music of the past 35 years. much of it smells and feels like a monastery.

among my fav surman's are a quartet or two with paul bley from long long ago.

those tend to bring him somewhat out of the monastery.

Check out the John Dowland 'In Darkness Let Me Dwell' CD on ECM - that one was almost recorded in a monastery (Forde Abbey, Dorset in fact). The Holy atmosphere comes through loud and clear !

There's a bunch of ECM discs recorded in a monastery. I think there's at least a Paul Bley and Paul Motian.

Monastery...if you think that jazz was supposed to be "brothel music"...a big leap... :blink: I am not really sure wich I prefer...between monastery and brothel, I mean :g

Edited by porcy62

There's a bunch of ECM discs recorded in a monastery. I think there's at least a Paul Bley and Paul Motian.

Monastery...if you think that jazz was supposed to be "brothel music"...a big leap... :blink: I am not really sure wich I prefer...between monastery and brothel, I mean :g

a much younger aloc encountered a hometown priest or two, casually attired, during his many infrequent visits to the local brothel of that day. the two venues arent THAT unrelated. the music, blues, generally sucked.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

a much younger aloc encountered a hometown priest or two, casually attired, during his many infrequent visits to the local brothel of that day. the two venues arent THAT unrelated. the music, blues, generally sucked.

:rofl:

I loved the line: 'the music, blues, generally sucked'. :lol: