Shelly Manne at the Blackhawk

dsockel

I have the chance to buy Volumes 1-4 of these, but they look like second pressings from 1963 or so. They are the black label (stereo) with gold writing with a deep groove. The record jackets have the pictures pasted on the covers.

Can anyone confirm what they first pressings looked like? Were they the heavier yellow?

I have the chance to buy Volumes 1-4 of these, but they look like second pressings from 1963 or so. They are the black label (stereo) with gold writing with a deep groove. The record jackets have the pictures pasted on the covers.

Can anyone confirm what they first pressings looked like? Were they the heavier yellow?

These sound like originals. The original stereo releases were on the black label, the monos were yellow. By the mid 1970's, all Contemporaries were yellow. The deep groove is also a giveaway. I can't say for sure, but I believe that deep groove pressings had largely disappeared by 1963.

I would agree with Stereojack. I have all 4 in the black label (or is it dark green?) pressings in stereo with the deep groove. Fairly heavy grade vinyl. They sound great by the way, recommended. I think some of the later 1960s stereo pressings (such as Lasha/Simmons) had deep grooves so these may be mid/late 60s pressings.