Bill Evans - Alone

king ubu

The session for the album "Alone" (Verve V6-8792) wasn't complete on the Verve box of Evans. More music was found and put out as bonus tracks on the Verve Master Edition CD reissue in 2002).

Now it seems the box does include one additional track that again is not part of the VME. The box has the Medley and a 6:56 take of "A Time for Love", while the VME has a 4:45 take of "A Time for Love", only... what's the reason this longer alternate is not on the VME? So that session is only complete if you have the box AND the VME?

up!

here's the entry from the crappy jazzdisco site, with only the bonus material listed that's part of the big rusty box (and the first of these is in fact the item in question, I guess, the one missing from the VME (or is it a question of editing and they found the longer alt that's in the box to be a splice or anything?):

Bill Evans Solo

Bill Evans (p)

NYC, September 10, 1968

106580 Never Let Me Go Verve V6 8792

106581 Here's That Rainy Day -

106582 On A Clear Day -

106583 A Time For Love Verve V6 8792, V3HB 8841

- A Time For Love (alt. take) unissued

106584 Midnight Mood Verve V6 8792, V3HB 8841

All The Things You Are / Midnight Mood unissued

* Bill Evans - Alone (Verve V6 8792)

* Bill Evans - Return Engagement (Verve V3HB 8841)

One alternate of "A Time for Love" (in my opinion by far the best take, albeit very slightly marred by some occasional "ringing" sound from the microphones, tubes or something else) was left out on the VME, presumably due to the usual time restictions, the VME is close to 80 minutes. However, this longer version of "A Time for Love" was also on the first CD release from the late 80s, so you'll get everything which has been released from these sessions if you have both single CD releases.

I think these solo sessions were the best Evans did, better than the more talked-up "Conversations/Further conversations" sessions

One alternate of "A Time for Love" (in my opinion by far the best take, albeit very slightly marred by some occasional "ringing" sound from the microphones, tubes or something else) was left out on the VME, presumably due to the usual time restictions, the VME is close to 80 minutes. However, this longer version of "A Time for Love" was also on the first CD release from the late 80s, so you'll get everything which has been released from these sessions if you have both single CD releases.

I think these solo sessions were the best Evans did, better than the more talked-up "Conversations/Further conversations" sessions

Ah, I see... stupid me forgot to check the timings... I have the missing track as part of the Verve box (in fact I got the "Alone" VME after having the box, as I realized it had additional music).

Are they better then the Riverside?

Yes! The Riverside solo session (it came out on Milestone actually, didn't it?) is fascinating, but has a somewhat improvised, unplanned feeling... while "Alone" is different - the liners from the VME interpret Side A as sort of a sonata (it's four songs that can be viewed together as forming four movements). Side B was originally just one track, a long, mesmerizing workout on "Never Let Me Go", with the actual melody forming the core of the performance.

The VME includes a couple of alternates (including a shorter 10 minute take of "Never Let Me Go"), and a rehearsal of a Medley (also part of the big box).

What I find a bit weird though is how "meshed" (mashed?) the sound of the piano is...

Are they better then the Riverside?

Yes! The Riverside solo session (it came out on Milestone actually, didn't it?) is fascinating, but has a somewhat improvised, unplanned feeling... while "Alone" is different...

I agree completely. Evans are sometimes almost painfully exposed during the Riverside sessions, and while listening to that may be a moving experience, I feel that the he performs much better on the Verve sessions.

What I find a bit weird though is how "meshed" (mashed?) the sound of the piano is...

I never thought of that (don't have the album at hand right now, though), but I specifically remember the sound on the alternates from the first CD edition. I thought they sounded as if they were played through a tube amp with bad tubes or something... too much middle, weak treble, ringing distorsion. The sessions (with countless splices and overdubs) were recorded at Van Gelder's, no? Read somewhere Evans did not like Van Gelder's piano sound.

I'm at work, but yes, could be it was a Van Gelder's... the way you describe the piano's sound makes sense to me... it's really low-fi, even to my non-trained ears...

About the Milestone session, I think it's fascinating... at times it's painful and too dark and brooding to enjoy, but then at other times it can almost have a soothing effect, too (I once played it to not hear the noisy neighbours when I had a migraine, and it did quite connect iwth me, then... possibly that was because I wasn't feeling well then...)

• 1 month later...

Those I can think of:

the Milestone 'Solo Sessions, vol. 1 and 2', they are included in the Riverside Complete Bill Evans box,

215JCPR88AL._AA240_.jpg31P1NC197EL._AA240_.jpg

also 'Practice Tape No. 1' (on E3 Records)

41ZY3R9XN8L._AA240_.jpg

This one is for completists only. Don't think a vol. 2 was ever released...

Edited by brownie

Those I can think of:

the Milestone 'Solo Sessions, vol. 1 and 2', they are included in the Riverside Complete Bill Evans box,

215JCPR88AL._AA240_.jpg31P1NC197EL._AA240_.jpg

also 'Practice Tape No. 1' (on E3 Records)

41ZY3R9XN8L._AA240_.jpg

This one is for completists only. Don't think a vol. 2 was ever released...

Thanks! For some reason I thought the Milestones SS would be in the Fantasy box, and I became confused when they weren't there. Looks like I'll be buying those three cds.

How about the Warner albums, wasn't there one more solo?

Ah, I see... that's another overdubbing thing:

Bill Evans Solo

Bill Evans (p, el-p) overdubbing himself

NYC, January 26-28 & 30, February 13-16, 1978

Song For Helen Warner Bros. BSK 3177-Y

Nobody Else But Me -

Maxine -

For Nenette -

I Love My Wife -

Remembering The Rain -

After You -

Reflections In D -

* Bill Evans - New Conversations (Warner Bros. BSK 3177-Y)