NCAA Football 2007

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Michigan State Spartans beat Notre Dame (talk about teams that suck* :lol: ). Glass half full: record now 4-0. Glass half empty (more realistic): likely the worst 4-0 team in the land, and regular pummelings will commence as the conference section of the schedule unfolds.

* Did Tyrone Willingham (MSU grad) get hosed by ND, or what? Is the Charlie Weis honeymoon still on? :cool:

<rant>

Ok, I haven't liked Dennis Franchione for a long time now. I didn't like how he came to A&M, which was underhanded (the school is equally at fault there). I didn't like how he handled the actual departure from Alabama, how he didn't tell his players he was going, and so forth.

I didn't like that his first action as A&M coach was to immediately change our well known 3-4 Wrecking Crew defense into a 4-3 defense. That crippled the defense, and (I think) robbed the program of it's identity. The defense hasn't recovered yet, and now is playing this silly 4-2-5 nickel defense as their base defense. The way we're playing it doesn't scare anybody, and all of our opponents have scored easily against us for the most part.

I haven't liked Franchione's game day coaching. He doesn't seem to know how to game plan for specific opponents. He took perhaps the best quarterback to ever come through A&M, Reggie McNeal, and tried to turn him into an option quarterback for his senior year. That ruined his game, and his stock took a huge tumble in the NFL. I truly think he was a more naturally gifted quarterback than Vince Young, who he was friend and competitor with. He got picked up by the Bengals as an experimental WR, but it didn't work out, and now he's out of the NFL.

The same thing is happening to our current QB, Stephen McGee. The guy is tough as nails, and supposedly has a great arm, and yet Franchione is turning him into an option quarterback just like McNeal. Bye bye to your future NFL career, McGee.

Now, the topper. Today the San Antonio Express News found out that Franchione sells a secret newsletter to high paying boosters. This newsletter contains information on players who are injured (which Franchione doesn't provide to the media or the general public), and also some of his frank comments about players (this receiver is slow, that one can't catch very well).

There's a huge uproar among A&M fans, who are fed up with Franchione and want him gone. This newsletter thing is going to cripple recruiting for the football program ("Hey kid come to Texas Tech - we won't talk bad about you to school boosters like A&M does").

Franchione has his players and his system in place, and still can't win big games. He is a terrible coach. A&M needs to fire him, and fire him NOW! A&M still has R.C. Slocum (the last coach) on payroll. Let him coach the rest of the season, then address the position afterwards.

</rant>

:angry:

Edited by Aggie87

Agster, my sympathy for your situation is matched only by my frustrating attempt to shift my loyalty to the team(s) I've spent much time detesting, namely all things Florida. (I mean, Goodspeak has certainly expressed his feelings in an articulate educator-like manner( ;))).

I feel so dirty, yet I'm compelled to conform......must....resist...tomahawk.....chop.......! :o

Death to all Floridian teams.

And fuck that goddamed chop....the Indian hating bastards!

And fuck that goddamed chop....the Indian hating bastards!

Your logic escapes me.

Can you explain how Seminole fans supporting their team (and most likely having alot of pride in their team's name and who it's in tribute to) equates to "Indian hating bastards"?

Agster, my sympathy for your situation is matched only by my frustrating attempt to shift my loyalty to the team(s) I've spent much time detesting, namely all things Florida. (I mean, Goodspeak has certainly expressed his feelings in an articulate educator-like manner( ;))).

I feel so dirty, yet I'm compelled to conform......must....resist...tomahawk.....chop.......! :o

A long time ago, the Seminole Tribe of Florida officially gave its blessing to everything that the Florida State Seminoles do in support of their team. From the War Chant to Chief Osceola and Renegade.

So blow it out your ass, Goodie.

Aggie ... you nailed this one in your original post:

44.) Watching coach Jim Leavitt and South Florida mess up someone's dreams of waltzing through the Big East and into the BCS Championship. If you're curious, the Bulls play at Rutgers on Oct. 18.

Friday night: USF 21, W. Va. 13. Rutgers seems like the team to beat in the Big East at this point, yes?

I know there's some Florida haters out there, but you can't argue the success the state has had in college football. Several teams from Florida are almost always in the national championship mix. For a good part of the 90s, the road to the national championship ran directly through Florida. And Florida teams have had pretty good success winning it all.

College football national championships:

Florida -- 1996, 2006

Miami -- 1987, 1989, 1991, 2001

Florida State -- 1993, 1999

Some of the best football in the country is played in Florida. High school football in the state rivals Texas. Witness Miami Northwestern's 29-21 win earlier this month over Southlake Texas. Friday football is a big deal in many parts of the state.

As far as USF, I wonder if they'll crack the top 10? I suspect pollsters will place them just outside -- say No. 11 or 12 -- and if they keep winning, they'll slide up pretty quickly as teams above them lose. Funny how the Big East seems to have gotten better now that Miami and Va. Tech have left. What's up with that?

Most overrated conference, year in, year out -- Big Ten.

And ... USC, while a great team, did not win back-to-back national championships. LSU won the national championship in one of the years that USC claims! (That would be an SEC team). Under the system we have, that was the result. Trojan fans, keep that one straight. You finished atop one of the major polls, you didn't win the national title.

Don't ya just love football!

A long time ago, the Seminole Tribe of Florida officially gave its blessing to everything that the Florida State Seminoles do in support of their team. From the War Chant to Chief Osceola and Renegade.

I know there's some Florida haters out there, but you can't argue the success the state has had in college football. Several teams from Florida are almost always in the national championship mix. For a good part of the 90s, the road to the national championship ran directly through Florida. And Florida teams have had pretty good success winning it all.

Florida -- 1996, 2006

Some of the best football in the country is played in Florida. High school football in the state rivals Texas. Witness Miami Northwestern's 29-21 win earlier this month over Southlake Texas. Friday football is a big deal in many parts of the state.

I'm feeling better already. Go 'Noles! (I'm going to the NC State game here next Saturday). :rsmile:

Florida -- 1996, 2006

I'm feeling better already. Go 'Noles! (I'm going to the NC State game here next Saturday). :rsmile:

Have a great time, Paul, and enjoy your first visit to Doak Campbell. Its not what it was like when I was a student, when neither end was closed off and the outside of the stadium looked like a big tinker toy (no brick building constructed around it), but its a great stadium now and nothing compares to the band performance at the start and Osceola and Renegade at midfield, planting the flaming spear.

Let me know though if the band plays Lionel Richie's "All Night Long" at halftime. They started playing that way back when it was a top 40 hit and even when I went back in the late 90s they were still playing it. God I hated that song. I guess they got such a great price on the arrangement that they can't stop using it. :rolleyes:

just watched a really fine game between two really talented well coached football teams, michigan state and wisconsin.

i dont expect to see a better game all year.

the state football program is certainly on the way up.

Over 1,000 yards total offense!! Wow. ... And Rutgers is among the upset victims. ... :excited:

Crazy day/wknd of college football:

#3 Oklahoma lost

#4 Florida lost

#5 West Virginia lost

#7 Texas lost

#10 Rutgers lost

#11 Oregon lost (to #6 Cal though)

#13 Clemson lost

#21 Penn State lost

#22 Alabama lost

That's alot of Top 25 teams there. 5 of the Top 10 teams!

Crazy shit! I don't think I've ever seen so many upsets in one weekend.

On the upside, I think FSU may have found a quarterback!

Crazy day/wknd of college football:

#3 Oklahoma lost

#4 Florida lost

#5 West Virginia lost

#7 Texas lost

#10 Rutgers lost

#11 Oregon lost (to #6 Cal though)

#13 Clemson lost

#21 Penn State lost

#22 Alabama lost

That's alot of Top 25 teams there. 5 of the Top 10 teams!

And most of these lost to unranked teams!

I'm starting to think the Pac 10 may be the strongest conference this year.

The SEC at this point seems down. LSU might be overrated after watching that first half against Tulane. They looked confused, sloppy and unprepared. And Florida's youth on defense is beginning to be exposed. The rest of the SEC is kind of uneven week to week.

The Big East is still not there.

The ACC ... eh. With Miami, Florida State and Va. Tech clearly not at the top of their games, that conference seems down, too.

I haven't seen enough of the Big 12 to know one way or the other, but Oklahoma's loss was a huge surprise. I figured them to be maybe the best team in the country before Saturday.

Outside of Ohio State, the Big Ten seems average at best.

That leaves the Pac 10. I see four pretty strong teams there. Washington gave USC a pretty good run Saturday. Cal looks solid. And Oregon and Washington both looked pretty good in losses.

Thoughts?

I haven't seen enough of the Big 12 to know one way or the other, but Oklahoma's loss was a huge surprise. I figured them to be maybe the best team in the country before Saturday.

I'm not sure about which conference is the strongest overall. I do think Oklahoma is still the best team in the Big 12. In the Big 12 South, Texas some big flaws, and Texas Tech is a one dimensional (but effective) passing team. Okla State, Texas A&M, and Baylor are all behind. In the Big 12 North, I'm not sure who the best team is. Nebraska? Colorado? K State? Missouri?

There's alot more parity in the Big 12 now between the north & south, but Oklahoma is still far ahead of the rest of the teams, even with Colorado's upset of them.

The polls

AP

1 LSU

2 Southern California

3 California

4 Ohio State

5 Wisconsin

6 South Florida

7 Boston College

8 Kentucky

9 Florida

10 Oklahoma

11 South Carolina

12 Georgia

13 West Virginia

14 Oregon

15 Virginia Tech

16 Hawaii

17 Missouri

18 Arizona State

19 Texas

20 Cincinnati

21 Rutgers

22 Clemson

23 Purdue

24 Kansas State

25 Nebraska

Coaches:

1 Southern California

2 LSU

3 California

4 Ohio State

5 Wisconsin

6 Boston College

7 Florida

8 Kentucky

9 South Florida

10 Oklahoma

11 Georgia

12 West Virginia

13 Oregon

14 Virginia Tech

15 Hawaii

16 Texas

17 Missouri

18 South Carolina

19 Arizona State

20 Purdue

21 Rutgers

22 Clemson

23 Nebraska

24 Cincinnati

25 UCLA

USF at No. 6 in the AP? Wow!

BTW, what's up with USC losing the No. 1 ranking after a win? Washington clearly is a much better team than Tulane (LSU's opponent Saturday). I figure, if you play a better opponent than the No. 2 team and you win, you gotta stay No. 1, no? Besides, LSU looked awful in the first half.