how many of u guys also collect soul/doo-wop/girl-group stuff

And The Flamingos - one trick ponies, sort of, at least as far as what worked. But the groove on "I Only Have Eyes for You", hey, I'll take that and a lifetime inside the woman I love for the win, Peter.

Not really one trick ponies. They hit the big time with "Eyes" in 1959, but had been making great jump sides and bluesy ballads since the early 50's. Check out their Chance or Chess recordings some time - a far cry from the slick pop for which they're famous (which I also dig, of course).

Yeah - I've got some stuff on videotape done at the Apollo featuring the Flamingos and did they ever jump! Around '56, when they got their first hit - the original version of "I'll be home", which Pat Boone killed, they started doing retro-Doo Wop stuff.

The groove on "Eyes" is truly sublime, but an accident of timing - how could they do that in '59?

Dunno.

MG

And The Flamingos - one trick ponies, sort of, at least as far as what worked. But the groove on "I Only Have Eyes for You", hey, I'll take that and a lifetime inside the woman I love for the win, Peter.

Not really one trick ponies. They hit the big time with "Eyes" in 1959, but had been making great jump sides and bluesy ballads since the early 50's. Check out their Chance or Chess recordings some time - a far cry from the slick pop for which they're famous (which I also dig, of course).

Yeah - I've got some stuff on videotape done at the Apollo featuring the Flamingos and did they ever jump! Around '56, when they got their first hit - the original version of "I'll be home", which Pat Boone killed, they started doing retro-Doo Wop stuff.

The groove on "Eyes" is truly sublime, but an accident of timing - how could they do that in '59?

Dunno.

MG

Ther's a canadian DVD that my library has called The Twist that has a great clip of the Flamingos in jump mode, don't know what it's taken from. The DVD has a lot of pre- and post- twist stuff, for context...

Big doo wop fan here. I have to say than most people have never really heard the best stuff - Five Keys, Orioles, Harptones, Moonglows, et al. The 1st PBS doo wop special was great, but they've driven it into the ground since.

I've heard them. Particularly like the Five Keys and Moonglows. Probably my favorite group are The Five Royales. They had great harmonies, great instrumental chops, and (aside from the usual amount of novelty tunes) some damn good songwriting.

I listen to the stuff, but Barb, my other half, is the big doo wop fan here. We're both into sixties soul, although I go on into the seventies.

Any criticism of the Flamingos will not be tolerated by either of us.

I've been wanting to get one of those pink flamingo lawn ornaments. :)

Edited by MoGrubb