Coffee Makers - Recommendations?

Guest Chaney

During the week, I use a Chemex brewer. Keep it on a burner until you're done brewing to keep it hot enough, then pour it into a thermos. I use an electric kettle to (nearly) boil the water and keep it hot throughout brewing.

On the weekends, I use the Bodum Santos vacuum brewer. It's a little more work to clean up, but it's fun and the coffee's great. Then in the afternoons, it's espresso with my little Krups Gusto, which really can make quite excellent espressos.

Also on the weekends, I roast enough coffee to get me through the week. Fresh roasted coffee gives you the best crema on those espressos!

The thing that most concerns me about drip coffee makers is having the boiling water drip through a plastic basket. I can't imagine that the plastic isn't being added to the finished coffee. Does anyone know of a drip maker that uses a ceramic or stainless steel basket instead of a plastic one?

Oh crap... something else for me to worry about.

Mr. Son-of-a-Weizen: Still have the Capresso and still love it. No operational problems at all.

Not realizing that it had been two years since I bought this machine, I cleaned its innards for the first time this past weekend. Result? Coffee tasted great before cleaning and I can't say that it tasted any differently after cleaning. That may be due to the stainless steel-lined heating system. I'm not otherwise in the habit of cleaning these gadgets so infrequently.

In case anyone's looking for a terrific conical burr grinder: Solis Maestro Plus Coffee Grinder :tup

• 1 month later...

Thanks Chaney!    At this point, it's either going to be the Capresso or a Bosch unit.

:tup I've had the same Bosch for about 15 years and love it.

Bosch it is, Rachael!! I went with what they call the Porsche designer series (TKA 9110) (yep, Porsche 911 harharhar! :rolleyes:) Goofy name....excellent machine. My wife likes the twin silo look to it...reminds her of the family farms out in Minnesota.

tka9110.jpg

Bosch it is, Rachael!! I went with what they call the Porsche designer series (TKA 9110) (yep, Porsche 911 harharhar! :rolleyes:) Goofy name....excellent machine. My wife likes the twin silo look to it...reminds her of the family farms out in Minnesota.

But Weizen, it's only 8 cups! My wife and I go through 8 cups in no time. :)

I have to decide on our next machine soon. Our beloved Krups Crystal Aroma is nearing the end of the line and they no longer make it. When we bought this machine many years ago, I researched it on-line and this maker came out ahead due mostly to it's high-temperature water heating system. There seems to be a correlation between using very hot water and extracting the flavor out of the beans.

How hot is the coffee right after being brewed with the Capresso MT500?

Kevin

I have tried many different coffee machines, from Cory to Krups--drip, pump, percolate, whatever. I love gadgets, little blinking lights, knobs, buttons, beeps and whistles, but the best coffee I have ever had was made the old-fashiond way. In Denmark, we call it "Madame Blue," although it isn't always that color. It uses a "coffee bag" (that sometimes is suspended with the help of a pair of knitting needles) and is, of course, of the "drip" variety.

Perhaps it's the coffee blend, or it may be the water, but this primitive enameled pitcher really produces a superior cup of coffee.

billede_53174_stor.jpg

gmd3stor.jpg

Chris: A good cup of coffee made without bells and whistles? Insanity! -_-

Kevin: The MT500 heats the water to what Capresso claims is the ideal temperature: Paying Attention to Heat - Capresso "gets it" with this brewer, when it comes to brewing temperatures. While their literature (manual, box graphics and text) don't specifically mention it, Capresso laughs in the face of frivolous lawsuits and their "ooo, it's too hot!" whines with this brewer - they deliver the sweet spot 94C (201F) temps in the brew basket.

Check out THIS Coffee Geek review. (That's where my quoted material above originates.)

• 2 years later...

I'm seriously thinking of getting a Keurig coffee maker.

They have one at BJ's for $129.99 that includes coffee for 90 cups, about 20 different blends.

I have gone to their website and see that I could get the same maker with the same amount of coffee (but with a smaller selection of blends of my choice) for about the same price.

Do any of you have an opinion of Keurig?

http://www.keurig.com

I first had an Italian Saeco machine, and now have a small Gaggia - metal steam kettle, to last for the rest of my life. Nothing like Italian coffee - best brands are New York or, for a stronger taste, Sicilian Ionia.

For other than Italian coffee I would advise a French filter mentioned above.

Anyone with a sensitive stomach should avoid any systems using paper filters - the paper chemically binds part of the substances contained in the coffee beans that are crucial for digestibility - I cured two friends from their acidic reactions towards coffee by talking them into using a gold filter. You save the money spent on paper filters, get more flavour and your stomach will thank you:

goldf275-2.jpg

Edited by mikeweil

Anyone with a sensitive stomach should avoid any systems using paper filters - the paper chemically binds part of the substances contained in the coffee beans that are crucial for digestibility - I cured two friends from their acidic reactions towards coffee by talking them into using a gold filter. You save the money spent on paper filters, get more flavour and your stomach will thank you:

goldf275-2.jpg

Amazing! Thanks, I'm going out to get a gold immediament. I just make one huge cup in the am for myself, very strong and black's how I like it, and drip seems to me to make the best brew. My stomach though really hasn't been up to snuff in a couple few weeks. Or has it been months?

Anyone else here a fan of Blue Bottle coffee? Wonderful stuff. I like the Temescal blend. I'm also fan of Gourmet Garage's Beat Nik blend, whole bean of course. It's about half the price of Blue Bottle. We all have our indulgences though.

I've had my Keurig machine (B60se) for over a year, no problems makes a very respectable cup of coffee. I use my own favorite coffees with Keurig's reusable coffee filter ($15) and don't go the K-cup route.

Thanks, Sundog.

I made a mistake above. The model that I could get from keurig.com with about 70 K-cups for about $130. is the B40. I went to BJ's today and saw that what they are selling is the B50. Theirs comes with 90 K-cups.

I see that you have a B60, even further up the ladder. I have been thinking about getting the My K-cup reusable filter, so I'm glad you are having good luck with yours.

I have found a site that reviews such items here:

http://www.singleservecoffee.com