Coffee Makers - Recommendations?

Guest Chaney

Screenshot-2024-07-31-082140.jpg

Based on the forementioned I`ve decided to try out a couple of these .....btw as the price uptick versus the high quality Italian Espresso `I`m drinking ist very high (some 70%) expecations are considerable ....

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/31/2024 at 8:25 AM, soulpope said:

Screenshot-2024-07-31-082140.jpg

Based on the forementioned I`ve decided to try out a couple of these .....btw as the price uptick versus the high quality Italian Espresso `I`m drinking ist very high (some 70%) expecations are considerable ....

Very good indeed, nevertheless no way justifying the high price .... competition in this quality segemnt is strong and we are beneficiaries 👍 ....

17 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

I use a stainless steel big ol' French press and am never going back.

Bialetti Moka Express Espressomachine, Aluminium, Grijs, 6 Kopjes

Does it look like this? Been to Italy on vacation these holidays and there's one of these in every Italian accomodation. YOu put water in the bottom, coffee in an iron filter and the pressure pushes the hot water trough the coffee. Can't get much purer than that. I was sold instantly and ordered one directly when I was back in the Netherlands. So now I get these:

Illy espresso intenso koffiebonen

Grind them and make myself some delicious Italian coffee. The downside is of course that making a cup takes some time plus attention (the making process have some points of attention) and you'll get like 3 cups maximum but the taste is amazing (and the whole process pretty fun).

5 hours ago, Pim said:

Bialetti Moka Express Espressomachine, Aluminium, Grijs, 6 Kopjes

Does it look like this? Been to Italy on vacation these holidays and there's one of these in every Italian accomodation. YOu put water in the bottom, coffee in an iron filter and the pressure pushes the hot water trough the coffee. Can't get much purer than that. I was sold instantly and ordered one directly when I was back in the Netherlands. So now I get these:

Illy espresso intenso koffiebonen

Grind them and make myself some delicious Italian coffee. The downside is of course that making a cup takes some time plus attention (the making process have some points of attention) and you'll get like 3 cups maximum but the taste is amazing (and the whole process pretty fun).

not exactly, though I used to have a stovetop espresso maker like that.

what I use is an older Espro: https://espro.com/products/coffee-french-press-p6?variant=40619347411123&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&srsltid=AfmBOoqB-Fc3Mp98WNV8HDP0bjXFf-Ekf5S181MgkBnIkqqb4unls9bjztQ

• 4 weeks later...

A heretic question: what decaf coffee do you recommend? I would use it in the Bialetti. We really don't need that nice coffee/espresso maker; just for the two of us the Bialetti does well. We also take it camping. 

Those light to medium roast Lavazza beans that we brew in the Bialetti are just too powerful for me: I get jumpy and freak out. Would like to try a decaf that tastes like coffee. It's not as much about the energy for me, as for the experience and taste.

I've been drinking decaf only, for health reasons, for nearly twenty years and it's proven really hit and miss, mostly miss but has improved a lot recently.

In the last few years as the coffee culture has really taken off here I've found some very nice decaf from the smaller roasteries, these are likely not exporting - Pilgrim, Mission, U Roast. I can't believe there aren't similar small independent outfits doing the same near you.

The way I found each of these was asking when I was served a good take away or drink in decaf which beans were used.

Before this my staple was Lavazza decaf 

Also, I'd say it's not heresy. There can be a bit of snobbery about decaf definitely but my experience has always been that in coffee drinking cultures in Europe decaf is more or less readily available and often more than half decent. Thankfully that's now increasingly reflected in the UK market too

Edited by mjazzg