have another pepsi?

i prefer ice tea, lemonade, water, and milk. when i do drink ginger ale or a cola, it's sugar- and caffeine-free. i don't need the caffeine, and the drinks with sugar taste too sweet for my liking. btw, i've put so much crap in my body for the last 50 years, i don't this stuff is going to do me much harm. :P

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Water, whole leaf gunpowder green tea, wine, whisky and the occasional beer are my fluids of choice.

Rather than cola, i prefer a sparkling water, mineral or otherwise, with some lime. I used to drink a can or two of diet coke, but now the flavor is strangely chemical to my taste buds.

Tea, in moderation, is a superb choice. Dig this, even: Tea 'healthier' drink than water

I'm going back to heroin - I hate needles, so maybe I can put it in a bottle -

:g Everybody knows that you don't drink herion. Well, not normally, unless you can find paregoric, which ain't exactly H but pretty darn close.

Edited by MoGrubb

Oh, and iced tea in large amounts is a bad idea (oxalic acid)... just thought I'd mention that too, because I think that's what got me into trouble.

:blink:

And now I'm off that shit too.

Never knew that about tea, I hope a few times a week is still safe. I guess I shouldn't be drinking it anyways because of the caffeine.

I don't want to give anybody the wrong impression here. Kidney stones are definitely something to educate yourself about and do your best to avoid, but when I said "large amounts" of tea, I meant like drinking it with lunch and/or dinner on most days, and once or twice a day as a refresher after working out or doing yard work. I used to buy the stuff (Nestea or Lipton) in liter bottles and keep it constantly available in the frig. Dumb habit, but I didn't realize what I was doing. I don't know how long I went through that phase, but my 3 kidney stone episodes occurred at the tail end of that, and my subsequent research makes me believe that the tea was the main culprit (although I've also been a choc-o-holic my whole life, and had been eating a lot of nuts also... both are relatively high in oxalic acid). So, in moderation, I'd say tea is fine. I think caffeine can also be a good thing, in moderation. About the only thing I don't take in moderation any more is... water. ^_^

Even as kids, we drank diet soda - Tab, sometimes Fresca, then Diet Coke or Pepsi, so "taste" has never been a reason to avoid diet soda for me - I was raised drinking it.

But aside from coffee in the morning (I'd say yes I'm addicted but unlike my wife I didn't have withdrawal symptoms like a raging headache when the power was out for a week) and water when I play tennis, diet soda is the only thing I drink (quit alcohol aside from wine with Christmas dinner and champagne on New Year's Eve). I've gone with the no-caffeine versions for many years now, but this report definitely gives me a little pause.

You know, I've gone back to Fresca a few times lately - there is no diet version, its always been zero calories. I wonder if I've found a loophole. :cool:

Oh, and iced tea in large amounts is a bad idea (oxalic acid)... just thought I'd mention that too, because I think that's what got me into trouble.

:blink:

And now I'm off that shit too.

Never knew that about tea, I hope a few times a week is still safe. I guess I shouldn't be drinking it anyways because of the caffeine.

I don't want to give anybody the wrong impression here. Kidney stones are definitely something to educate yourself about and do your best to avoid, but when I said "large amounts" of tea, I meant like drinking it with lunch and/or dinner on most days, and once or twice a day as a refresher after working out or doing yard work. I used to buy the stuff (Nestea or Lipton) in liter bottles and keep it constantly available in the frig. Dumb habit, but I didn't realize what I was doing. I don't know how long I went through that phase, but my 3 kidney stone episodes occurred at the tail end of that, and my subsequent research makes me believe that the tea was the main culprit (although I've also been a choc-o-holic my whole life, and had been eating a lot of nuts also... both are relatively high in oxalic acid). So, in moderation, I'd say tea is fine. I think caffeine can also be a good thing, in moderation. About the only thing I don't take in moderation any more is... water. ^_^

Careful, that water can also kill you. :ph34r:

I have an iced tea with lunch maybe 2-3 times a week. I never drink it home anymore 'cause that's where the beer is. :)

Still, good to know on that oxalic acid though, I was not aware of the problems associated it.

Once again, moderation is the key.

Jim - are you still getting kidney stones? I ask because I had 'em years ago because of an excess of calcium produced by my parathyroid gland - I had the gland removed and I've been fine ever since. It's rare but not that rare, and doctors almost never know about it - an endocrinologist is the one who suggested it to me - I peed in a jar for 24 hours, brought that big jar over to the lab, and it was diagnosed - and if you don't have that problem, you can always donate the jar to the Republican National Committee -

Not only will I have another Pepsi, I'll gladly raise my glass of carbonated corn syrup to Joe Jackson who once sang "Everything gives you cancer." I've been drinking Pepsi for longer than I've been able to walk. Not as much as I used to, but the truth is I'm addicted to it: if I go a day without Pepsi, I get a roaring headache. So, usually one or two glasses a day, accompanied by lots of water.

Diet sodas make me gag. Aspertane, Splenda, Nutrasweet..... all that stuff that AIN'T sugar makes my throat tighten up. Nope, give me the leaded stuff any day.

Guest donald petersen

al how are your teeth? i just ask because i am obsessed with oral hygeine but am also addicted to diet soda (plus unable to accept water as a viable beverage, as i mentioned). my teeth are ok but my sister constantly tells me diet soda is the same as battery acid to your teeth and i poo poo her. are your teeth ok? i hear actually that those "power" drinks, the "ades" are the worst as far as making a crappy PH in your mouth piece.

Jim - are you still getting kidney stones?

All I can say right now is... GOD I HOPE NOT!!! ;) I had three over the course of about 2 1/2 years (2001-2004), and I'm hoping that the dietary changes I made will prevent any recurrence. I really think the iced tea abuse was the primary reason for me, but thanks for sharing that info. Maybe between the two of us, we might help somebody here avoid the lovely experience.

Guest donald petersen

ok but what is man to do...i have been known to enjoy an entire quart of arizona diet iced tea at once...but you tell me iced tea is out and diet soda is out and only a psycho drinks gatorade, etc for no reason...what can i drink? snapple products are so freaking sugary...i drink a lot of milk but it's summer right now...100 percent juice i also drink a lot of but you can't do it all the time since it is caloric and sugaric in it's own way...WHAT IS A MAN WHO DOESN'T LIKE WATER SUPPOSED TO DO?

kidney stones hurt - only good thing about the experience was my introduction to demerol -

one good reason to keep drinking Pepsi is that they were, originally, one of the first American corporations to actively recruit African Americans as both emplyoees and for executive positions - in the early days it was a truly progressive company whose recruitment was sincere and not merely tokenism. So I always try to buy pepsi over coke -

Edited by AllenLowe

Not only will I have another Pepsi, I'll gladly raise my glass of carbonated corn syrup to Joe Jackson who once sang "Everything gives you cancer." I've been drinking Pepsi for longer than I've been able to walk. Not as much as I used to, but the truth is I'm addicted to it: if I go a day without Pepsi, I get a roaring headache. So, usually one or two glasses a day, accompanied by lots of water.

Diet sodas make me gag. Aspertane, Splenda, Nutrasweet..... all that stuff that AIN'T sugar makes my throat tighten up. Nope, give me the leaded stuff any day.

My late wife was absolutely addicted to the stuff, too. She'd send me out to the grocery store at 11 p.m. if there were less than five 20 ounce bottles in the fridge, so there'd be enough for the next day. I'd say, "I really wished you just liked Pepsi rather than needed it."

Any truth to the stories I used to hear about Coke being able to disolve a tooth, or a nail overnight?

For me, it's water, tea, juice (usually Odwalla and the like) occasionally coffee, beer, red wine. No kidney stones here.