Kleinschuster Sextett feat Jimmy Heath, Art Farmer & Slide Hampton

soulpope

So after dropping in to Dusty Groove, it looks like there are 5 copies of each set on the shelves. I didn't ask if there were any in the back, or if they would re-order. So you've probably got a few more days before the tenacles start calling again.

I always though we had Kenny Clarke who got away with that title :D:P;)

Always watch your grammar ..... I should have written "best Europeans" to distinguish him from "Americans in Europe". And I wrote "one of the best", not "the best". Bachträgl was one of the best (native) European jazz drummers.

I love Klook, of course, and he was the greatest inspriration for them all.

Edited by mikeweil

Volume 2 arrived from redoctopus this morning & I've managed to play both CDs once.

Disc 1 with Art Farmer & Jimmy Heath is uniformly excellent, with both the lead musicians on top form and sounding completely at home with the rest of the group. Art Farmer, in particular, sounds wonderful and the arrangements - by Erik Kleinschuster? - are crisp and unfussy. All in all a terrific listen. I also agree with Mike Weill about the excellence of the drummer, Erich Bachtragel. He really drives the group forward and sounds completely at ease with all the different tempos.

To me, Disc 2 suffers in comparison. It's not bad but it doesn't reach the heights of the first disc. This may be because the guest soloist and arranger Slide Hampton had not played as often with the sextet as had Art Farmer & Jimmy Heath or perhaps it's just that the tunes are not as memorable. Anyway it doesn't have the impact of the first disc but perhaps it will sound better after a few more plays.

This release, plus the earlier Volume 1, shows the high standard of music being played in Europe in the late 60s & early 70s and it would be great to hear more from the same source. Does anyone know whether there are any plans to release further volumes in this series?

Volume 2 arrived from redoctopus this morning & I've managed to play both CDs once.

How much did it end up costing from RO, with postage to UK?

28.80 euros. That's just under £20 in 'real' money!

Quite pricey but I don't think you will be able to get it much cheaper anywhere else.

How much did it end up costing from RO, with postage to UK?

28.80 euros. That's just under £20 in 'real' money!

Quite pricey but I don't think you will be able to get it much cheaper anywhere else.

Thanks !