Japanese Mode reissues 6/2007

J.A.W.

The following Mode CDs are scheduled for release on June 27, 2007.

* = mini-LP cardboard sleeve

MZCS 1130(Mode)New V.A. West Coast 1957 2520

MZCS 1131(Mode)New Lewis,Mel(ds) Sextet* 2400

MZCS 1132(Mode)New Costa,Eddie(vib) Quintet* 2400

MZCS 1133(Mode)New Fagerquist,Don(tp) Octet* 2400

MZCS 1134(Mode)New Ex-Hermanites The Ex-Hermanites* 2400

Edited by J.A.W.

Argh!! Still no Bill Holman In a Jazz Orbit! I hope that title can find a way into this new series.

I haven't picked any of these up, but I'd assume that they're straight LP playing-order reissues, so, yes, short times (around the half-hour mark for most) for these. Hopefully the remastering is better, though. Some domestic Mode/VSOP discs sound just fine, but others sound pretty boxed in. The Holman, unfortunately, is one of the latter.

Has anyone here purchased any of these new Japanese Mode reissues? How's the sound/product?

Bill Holman's "In A Jazz Orbit" was originally issued on the ANDEX label. No connection with the MODE label (that I suppose this Japanese CD reissue series is supposed to cater for).

True, Holman's album is on Andex, but VSOP reissued it domestically (U.S.) on compact disc in 1987. That edition is showing its age, and I'm just hoping for an eventual Japanese edition ...

Regardless of sound, it's a great album.

ANDEX--- did they have a lot of west coast jazz? i just ordered MUCHO CALOR- art pepper/conte/richie kamuca, et al

also ordered this buddy collette/chico/jim hall cd on VIC

(both of these reissued on VSOP)

the buddy kind of disappointed on the soundclips, i thinki better still get it-- the art pepper one i cant believe i didnt have already