Cecil Taylor and Anthony Braxton Together, then Ornette

Press Release...though I thought you might like to know....

For Immediate Release:

GIANTS OF JAZZ TO PLAY

RE-OPENED ROYAL FESTIVAL HALL

On Sunday 8 and Monday 9 July, the newly re-opened Royal Festival Hall will play host to two giants of post-war jazz. On 8 July, the hall will resonate to the improvised sounds and complex polyrhythms of Cecil Taylor’s killer quartet. The following night, Ornette Coleman and his new band will give the newly refurbished acoustics of the Royal Festival Hall a ‘harmolodic’ work-out that – on the evidence of last year’s live recording ‘Sound Grammar’ – will bear testimony to an artist still at his soulful, transcendent best.

One iconic building from the early 1950s, refitted for the 21st Century. Two pioneers of the ‘free jazz’ movement of the late 1950s, innovating and surprising half a century on. These are un-missable concerts for anyone with an interest in the visionary artists and thinkers who have played a part in shaping the musical cosmos of yesterday and today. And, a must for anyone who wants to experience their musical epiphanies from the comfort of one of designer Robin Day’s lovingly restored and re-upholstered walnut-veneered seats (with 75 mm extra leg room!).

CECIL TAYLOR QUARTET featuring Anthony Braxton

Southbank Centre, Royal Festival Hall, London SE1 8XX

8 July at 7.30pm

Ticket prices: £35, £30, £25

On Sunday 8 July, the first jazz concert in the newly refurbished Royal Festival Hall will feature a performance by the wildly idiosyncratic piano genius Cecil Taylor who, alongside Ornette Coleman, is acknowledged as one of the major innovators of the ‘free jazz’ movement. After nearly 50 years, this pianist, composer and poet remains one of the most controversial figures in jazz – continuing, in his 77th year, to compose, write and tour. At a time in his career when most artists of his stature could sustain themselves with a victory lap of regurgitating the past or to slip into silent retirement, Taylor continues to push new boundaries with his art. For this concert, Cecil Taylor will perform with percussionist Tony Oxley on drums, William Parker on bass and, for the very first time, master saxophonist Anthony Braxton.

ORNETTE COLEMAN QUARTET

Southbank Centre, Royal Festival Hall, London SE1 8XX

9 July at 7.30pm

Ticket Prices: £45, £40, £35

On Monday 9th July the Royal Festival Hall plays host to the ‘missing link’ between bebop and ‘free jazz’. Saxophonist, composer and metaphysician, Ornette Coleman pioneered the idea of improvising without chord changes. His musical system, at first called ‘free jazz’, which he later renamed ‘harmolodics’ and now prefers to call ‘sound grammar’, is a remarkable exercise in applied democracy – allowing all players to give free reign to their imagination and ideas. As last year’s release ‘Sound Grammar’ attests, Ornette’s whooping runs, long high notes, quivering tone and spiralling descents still sound fresh and pin sharp. With Ornette Coleman on saxophone, trumpet and violin, his son Denardo Coleman on drums, and acoustic bassists Tony Falanga and Al McDowell, this group sounds like no other on the scene or in Ornette’s career.

For further information and images, please contact Miles Evans on 020 7921 0676 / miles.evans@southbankcentre.co.uk or Sabine Kindel on 020 7921 0917 or sabine.kindel@southbankcentre.co.uk

Seems like there's been quite a hike in ticket prices!

No kidding ! Ronnie-Scott-itis is spreading.

I guess they are gouging the punters now to pay for the refurb.

Personally I prefer the days when you could pay less than £10 to see Miles Davis AND get free off-metered parking for the car right outside the RFH !

Edited by sidewinder

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting to read those thoughts - it was indeed a great concert.

Very theatrical entrance from stage left by Cecil, shaking his beads and dancing like a colourful whirling dervish to the piano stool. Wish someone had filmed that !

That first duet (or pair of them, I guess) with Oxley kicked things off superbly. The thing that struck me about Cecil's playing was the incredible precision - not a note out of place. He was on form in a big way, I think. The music reminded me quite a bit of his playing on 'Conquistador' - and definite 'cakewalk' sections thrown in there as well, delving well back into jazz's early history. Some of Cecil's piano runs here were suprisingly delicate. Pure genius !

William Parker's solo bass feature was brilliant too. First time I've seen him - hopefully not the last. Lovely big sound he got with the instrument bowed (and with a lot of pitch manipulation by bending of strings).

First time I've seen Oxley too - looks quite impassive at his (huge) drum kit. He sounded good with Cecil (although I always think that Taylor is a very self-sufficient player, more than happy to stay solo) but in the quartet and in tandem with Parker he went from good to fantastic.

The quartet set seemed to go past for me very quickly - mesmerising effect I think - Cecil upped the ante and energy level even more and Braxton (first time I've seen him) met the challenge with great spirit. Not to forget the maelstrom of sound thrown into the mix by Tony Oxley and William Parker. It would have been easy to underestimate Parker's input here but on the quiet he was working up a storm of propulsive power. The whole thing built up so that when the final 5 or so minutes came the intensity was astonishing. Cecil firing runs in from the left and Braxton responding (most notably I think on the soprano) in an incredible dialogue. As Red notes in his blog, that final Taylor solo was something else - certainly some of the most astonishing music I ever heard in that last 5-10 minutes (and I'd add Cecil's playing in the duo to that too).

It's a shame that there was no encore - the band left the stage pretty quick. Must have all been exhausted though - the whole thing passed far too quickly.

Nice set from Polar Bear to kick off proceedings too. A hard act to play before but the guys sounded good - particular credit to Pete Wareham for some fine 'out' tenor to get in the spirit of things.

Edited by sidewinder

The level of energy was so high that at one stage towards the end I thought they would collectively levitate off the stage !

Not an easy listen though. It was a challenge for me at times and I wonder how many people came along expecting maybe some bebop. Funilly enough though, the one guy who was for me the easiest to listen to was Cecil Taylor !

Incidentally, to echo JohnS's earlier comment, rarely have I had so much trouble getting to and from a concert in London as this one. The plan was to drive in to the SW area around Twickenham, dump the car and catch the train - turned out there was a major damned Genesis concert at Twickenham Stadium ( ;) ) with traffic and people puring out of the place and this lost me nearly 15 minutes of the concert thanks to the mayhem. Fortunately it didn't jeopardise the 'main act'. Every time I come out of London these days I need a week to recover.

Edited by sidewinder

Many BBC Radio 3 programmes are available in streaming format for a week after broadcast. Hopefully this one will be... AS I DIDN'T GO!!!

The Tour de France was in Canterbury that day...

Good win for Robbie McEwen! We were at 50m [i.e. METRES!] from the finish - it was all a blur! But these things don't come around too often...

Edited by David Ayers

Thank you for the kind comments!

Interesting thoughts about Polar Bear...I have to say, I really couldn't abide them :)

But yes - that final section...in fact, from the Taylor solo home, it was utterly overwhelming in its intensity.

FWIW - I suspect, although wasn't of course 'clock-watching' during the gig, so am not completely sure of timings - that something (perhaps the duos and Parker's solo?) might be cut for the broadcast, simply because 'Jazz on 3' is 1.5 hours long, and usually includes at least a little talk, and I'm fairly sure there was more than this hour and a half's music. My guess also is that any subsequent release (and please, please, someone make it happen!) would only include the quartet.

p.s. Thinking about it, Braxton at the RFH has been responsible for two of my 'deepest' musical experiences ever - Quintet (London) 2004 was recorded live at the London Jazz Festival (although even that show, which featured Dixon/Taylor/Oxley in the second half, didn't quite scale these heights!). Peculiar how one can be so emotionally indebted to someone one's never even met; but I guess that's music!