Sell your Ultimate Blue Train, it's obsolete

Soul Stream

I reluctantly picked up the RVG of Blue Train today. I'm about re-re-re-issued out on some titles like "Blue Train" and "A Love Supreme."

....However, the SOUND on the RVG Blue Train, to my ears, is really a significant improvement. It's like you are THERE!!!

So, goodby Ultimate Blue Train....make room for Rudy. :tup:D

At the risk of sounding like an SACD plugger (which I'm not - I don't even own a player!), if you purchase the hybrid SACD of this, then you'll get the SAME cd remaster (I believe) as the RVG, and you get the "bonus" SACD layer as well. This comes in handy if you have an SACD player ;) or if the next CD player you purchase happens to be SACD compatible.

On the downside, I don't know why they didn't include the "bonus" CD-ROM material from the Ultimate disc on the new RVG and SACDs. This would have been a nicer way of upgrading Blue Train, and would allow us to pass on our existing Ultimates.

Edited by Aggie87

I thought you guys would find this interesting. Its from AMG online, the review of the new Blue Train RVG. Although I don't agree completely with what he's saying, I am in agreement that Blue Note is really ripping us all off with all these damn reissues.

Releases like Blue Train are why labels like Blue Note can piss you off as a consumer. After a while Blue Note had already issued arguably its greatest release two times previously on CD. The drastically improved-upon reissue of Blue Train that included all of the alternate takes from the session set to right one mysteriously lifted piano solo in the master take of the title track. It also came with cool pictures and a CD-ROM. So what does the Rudy van Gelder edition add to make you buy it once more? Marginally better sound. But that's not a recommendation to purchase it. If Blue Note had any integrity regarding this reissue — and the label should, given the album's enormous stature in the classic jazz catalog — it would have issued the CD-ROM and the photos as part of this package. Musically, this does contain the alternate takes issued on the 1997 version but requires one to purchase an incomplete package to get better sound. Had this been issued as DVD audio it would have made sense because it is a completely different format. This is just nonsense and a ploy to get you to shell out more cash for something that is clearly inferior to what you already paid for as a fan. And while audiophiles will have to have the better sound and grumble because their obsession won't let them sleep, everyone else should just leave this version alone and be content with the formerly "ultimate" Blue Train until the label gets it right and issues the package whole. Maybe they'll do that next time and try to get you to buy it again. — Thom Jurek

I find it funny that, not so very long ago, Tomatbluenote stated unequivocally that BN was not going to release an RVG of Blue Train as the "Ultimate" release was not so very old and already had upgraded sound.

As much as I enjoy this session I will not be shelling out $$$ for the RVG. I'll be happy with my late 80's release and will put the money to a disc I don't already own.

Had this been issued as DVD audio it would have made sense because it is a completely different format. - Thom Jurek

Obviously, Jurek hasn't noticed that it has been released on SACD too.

The decision to release the new Blue Train remaster simultanously on CD and hybrid SACD (compatible with CD players) seems to be only a pricing issue, since the RVG CD is sold at mid price and the SACD at full price.

Other labels have recently decided to reissue albums as hybrid SACDs only (Rolling Stones ABKO, The Police, Peter Gabriel), sold at attractive prices. But some people say this was a SACD promotion financed with help by Sony, because the same albums are now released again on CD only, at least in Europe. Hybrid SACDs are much more costly to produce.

Edited by Claude

Yeah, I'm sure the RVG sounds great, but I can't justify buying yet another version of Blue Train. Its an incredible session, but I just can't buy into what Blue Note is doing. Anyways, my stereo isn't good enough to tell the difference between 20 Bit and 24 Bit. Plus, Blue Note will probably re-issue Blue Train again in a couple years with 48 Bit remastering or something like that. I'll stick to my Ultimate Blue Train.

I find it funny that, not so very long ago, Tomatbluenote stated unequivocally that BN was not going to release an RVG of Blue Train as the "Ultimate" release was not so very old and already had upgraded sound.

Yes, and he also said that they'd never experiment around with the mini-lp format because it was a loser. Sure Tom, tell it to Toshiba as they're kicking now out the 2nd & 3rd re-pressings of many JRVG titles. <_<

I really dislike the mini-LP format, such that I think I only own about 2 or maybe 3 of them (at most), none of which are BN titles.

Unless I'm simply fanatically interested in a release, I'll almost always wait for the eventual U.S. issue, which is almost always in a Jewel Box.

(And in the case of Jimmy Wood's "Conflict", it also came with 20 minutes of bonus material.)