Pres Verve Box Query

paul secor

Does anyone here have the Lester Young Verve Box? (Probably a very dumb question to ask.)

Anyway, I have close to half of this material on LP or CD, and I'm wondering if it's worth picking up the box for what I don't have.

What I have is Lester Young - Buddy Rich Trio (w. Nat Cole), Pres (recordings w. John Lewis), Lester Young w. the Oscar Peterson Trio, Jazz Giants '56, Laughin' To Keep from Cryin', and some scattered JATP sides.

Any opinions on whether the box is worth it? Or am I just looking to spend money?

None of the JATP material is on the Verve box. What you're missing would mostly be available on VME discs, plus the very bad Paris date cheaply on Universal's "Jazz in Paris" series. Main thing you're missing, besides a few early dates, is the Pres & Teddy one.

It is for me, too, but I'm not sure about Paul... for someone who doesn't care to know about the entirety of Prez' late years, a session like "Laughing to Keep from Cryin'" can indeed be quite a mess, so...

I'd first get all the other earlier material, for sure: Aladdin, Savoy, Basie Decca, more Basie (the 4CD box on Sony is great if only for the live material on the last disc, otherwise I'd still much welcome a complete one, but it's not going to happen, I'm afraid), the material with Billie Holiday, etc... and then once one's hooked get all of the Verve.

I went the other way 'round (getting the Verve when I had almost no other Prez) and it wasn't that smart - I only started to appreciate and get hooked to most of the later part of the Verve material once I knew more of earlier Prez.

But maybe that's just me...

Yeah, but having the earlier stuff w/o getting any of the later stuff is kinda like walking off a cliff and never getting hit by gravity.

I've been doing a lot of musical "filtering" the last year of so, & I've just about come to the conclusion that Leater Young's music, all of it, is something from which there is no escape in terms of musical substance & human meaning. No matter where you go, as they say, there you are.

Not that I didn't already know this, but when you start letting go of stuff just to see what comes back, the stuff that refuses to even be let go, hey, that's the real deal right there.

Yeah, but having the earlier stuff w/o getting any of the later stuff is kinda like walking off a cliff and never getting hit by gravity.

I've been doing a lot of musical "filtering" the last year of so, & I've just about come to the conclusion that Leater Young's music, all of it, is something from which there is no escape in terms of musical substance & human meaning. No matter where you go, as they say, there you are.

Not that I didn't already know this, but when you start letting go of stuff just to see what comes back, the stuff that refuses to even be let go, hey, that's the real deal right there.

Ain't that the truth. I think that Lester Young just might be the last music that I would ever give up, and I am not just talking about jazz.

On the other hand, walking off a cliff and never getting hit by gravity sounds interesting as well. :g

Yes, the box is worth it. You're missing a great session with Sweets Edison (Going for Myself, IIRC) and his last session in Paris. IMHO, that final session is actually one of the better sessions. You'd never know Pres was knockin' at death's doorstep, and he sounds much more confident and, ironically, full of life on that session.

Just got back from Milan (Italy) where I saw the Pres box and the JATP 1944-1949 box reissued by Universal Italy in regular double jewel cases boxes for a nice price (believe the Pres was euro 60). This might be an option for those who want the music and don't care about the original packaging.

They are re-releasing some verve box sets in a cheaper packaging. I got a pre-release mail from amazon in Germany. I was on the verge to order Birds 10-disc set for 40 euros but after investigating it really sounded like it was just more or less the discs themselves and no real booklet or great packaging.

I mean OK if you do not care for information and essays and just want he music. But personally I think that is really what box sets are for. Great information, photos, essays and interviews and some attractive packaging to go with that.

Often the stories about jazz is as captivating as the music itself and it adds to the experience for me to learn more about the artists and their lives.

And yes I have the Pres-box and heartily recommend it! The sides with for instance Oscar Pterson are really great!

/Shaft