New Art Pepper release

Jazzmoose

Thanks for the link! It looks like I might order this next week. I also like this quote from the ad: "3. I'm introducing Art to people who thought they knew what jazz was (Kenny G) and didn't like it. If you like Kenny G, just go away. There's nothing for you here."

Hi folks,

I much loved this double CD but I regret that it does not include Billie's Bounce (10:45) which was present on the first but partial edition of this concert released in 1995 on the Japanese TDK CD TDCN-5172 "Art Pepper-Live in far North Japan". There was nevertheless the place to enclose it. First CD lasts 57:37, second one 51:19.

I wonder if the term complete concert can apply to this double CD.

Art Pepper: Unreleased Art, Vol. 1 The Complete Abashiri Concert - November 22, 1981

Window's Taste APMC 06001

Damn, wish that double CD had all that was available.

Having second thoughts on ordering this :(

Deny yourself nearly 2 hours of great music for lack of one song which may or may not have needed to be included to be "complete". That doesn't make much sense to me. Buy it and love it for what is there!

This is a very good 2 CD set. I read a post from Laurie Pepper on another site that explained why Billie's Bounce was not included. She indicated that the sound quality on that track was sub-par so decided to leave it off. That was not a big deal for me as the material on this set is first rate for "late period' Art Pepper.

Not only does Art play very well, but George Cables is also terrific.

Laurie has more Art Pepper material that she hopes to eventually release.

Deny yourself nearly 2 hours of great music for lack of one song which may or may not have needed to be included to be "complete". That doesn't make much sense to me. Buy it and love it for what is there!

I don't disagree. But "complete" is "complete" and I'd rather have the extra track even if in subpar sound quality than not at all.

I don't disagree. But "complete" is "complete" and I'd rather have the extra track even if in subpar sound quality than not at all.

OKAY, OKAY! I understand the collector's compulsion to have it all, but most people who want to hear Art or even want to hear him for the first time don't want to hear a track that slows, speeds, slows, speeds, which is what the Billie's Bounce track does on the original tape and on the Japanese issue as well. Art didn't play out of tune, and I don't want this to sound as if he did. You'll notice that "For Freddie" is broken into two parts, because I figured it was so fine it should be heard. Billie's Bounce was a mess. -- Your friend, the picky widow, L.

OKAY, OKAY! I understand the collector's compulsion to have it all, but most people who want to hear Art or even want to hear him for the first time don't want to hear a track that slows, speeds, slows, speeds, which is what the Billie's Bounce track does on the original tape and on the Japanese issue as well. Art didn't play out of tune, and I don't want this to sound as if he did. You'll notice that "For Freddie" is broken into two parts, because I figured it was so fine it should be heard. Billie's Bounce was a mess. -- Your friend, the picky widow, L.

I'm a bit on the completist side, but I'll take your word it's a mess. I am thankful that you are putting this out, as well as some of the other great releases, and I plan to pick it up a bit later in the month. Good luck.

Heh, no worries, Laurie, and thanks for the clarification. We "collectors" can be a prickly bunch and get a bit sensitive around here sometimes due to reissues that are compilled willy-nilly. Glad to hear that's not the case here and that there's a good reason for the missing track. :tup

Any chance of digital distribution of this or any forthcoming shows - through itunes or (better yet) emusic?

Heh, no worries, Laurie, and thanks for the clarification. We "collectors" can be a prickly bunch and get a bit sensitive around here sometimes due to reissues that are compilled willy-nilly. Glad to hear that's not the case here and that there's a good reason for the missing track. :tup

Any chance of digital distribution of this or any forthcoming shows - through itunes or (better yet) emusic?

Go to itunes. The whole thing is there. L. Also rhapsody etc etc

• 1 month later...

After listening a great deal to The Last Concert for the past six weeks, I opened up The Abashiri Concert today and played the first disc.

It's great! I don't find it as exciting as The Last Concert, but that doesn't mean it's not excellent. It's so much better than so many of the new albums I've heard over the last couple of years.

I think I like Roger Kellaway's playing more than George Cables'. Cables plays interesting chords, but Kellaway had a bouncier feel throughout that evening.

I'm going to listen to this plenty before I move on to Disc 2.

• 8 months later...

Just received this email from Laurie Pepper's site about a 2-disc 1981 Croydon, England concert to be released in April:

Hello dear fans.

Release of the new Art Pepper album is scheduled for late April, 2008.

It features: Art Pepper, Milcho Leviev (playing like an angel; the best he ever played), Bob Magnusson and his gorgeous bass, and Carl Burnett.

Fromat Fairfield Hall (great acoustics), Croydon, England, on May 14, 1981, it was recorded via the sound system at the hall and collected by a guy who collects these things and who has graciously opened his entire Art Pepper collection to me. The quality is excellent.

The recording features a 22 minute "Make a List, Make a Wish," which can be heard on my website at http://straightlife.info.

It will be a TWO DISC SET. There will be a 12 page booklet with photos and recollections of this tour, descriptions of band members, histories of the tunes.

It's a wonderful collection of bebop, blues, and ballads.

Looking forward to lavishing all this beauty upon you! L.

The sample on the site sounds terrific! :tup