John Zorn's coming to town

Jad

No big news here, just a place to bitch. Playing three shows, one with Masada(!!!), but I'm probably going to be attending the birth of my daughter. My wife isn't sympathetic, but someone here has to understand my disappointment (not that it's really a difficult choice, but still...This town has so little jazz that this is an event!). Oh well, Jason Moran is here next month. I'll be there for that!

Jad (Nick?),

An early congrats on the newborn! I'll probably be making the Masada show at the Hult, so I'll post a report here. Couldn't believe he's having three shows in our little hamlet. One, evidently, is a commissioned classical piece that he's debuting, and the other is a Cobra (with local musicians?) performance. The wallet will likely only allow for one show, so it has to be Masada.

I think I'm going to be in L.A. when Moran comes. But you'll pick up reporting duties, I'm sure. ;)

p.s.

The city library has a copy of "West Coast Hot," which, if you haven't already checked it out, is a must-must-must listen. A double bill of the Horace Tapscott Sextet and John Carter-Bobby Bradford Quartet. It's usually checked out, but you can always place a hold. :tup

Baby's not due until beginning of Oct. And now that I think about it, the Moran show is risky too. This being our second, I've got a feeling she'll be early, and that show is a week before the due date. Damn! If only I'd known in Feb who'd been coming to town, planning would have been different. Two talents coming to town of this caliber within a month is a very rare thing.